advertisement

iPhone 5 - the audiophile quality music player

Status
Not open for further replies.
The example I gave of BMT and regeneration clearly as elements of repeatable and demonstrable, but not in an inappropriate DBT kind of way .

And thanks for the bad news , 2.6 boys and only one girl :D I recently broke my benz and the cost of the new pram would have paid for two , I remain benzless currently :mad:

My eldest is now earning a reasonable screw as a tax & trust lawyer, & the youngest is a head of department at a Glasgow school, so the drain is not as bad as it could be!

And I know exactly how you feel about the cartridge. My youngest did for my Ittok/Karma back in 1984.

I put the Linn in the attic until I considered she had actually joined the human race.

Chris

You have that the wrong way round. The HiFi isn't important as long as the music is reproduced accurately.

S
accurately but not sounding as good.
my ex mother-in-law wouldn't have any salt, pepper, sauces etc at the dinner table. it spoils the way it is supposed to be tasted she'd say. she couldn't get her head around that it may be true but it added something to the taste and made it more enjoyable.

my ex mother-in-law wouldn't have any salt, pepper, sauces etc at the dinner table. it spoils the way it is supposed to be tasted she'd say. she couldn't get her head around that it may be true but it added something to the taste and made it more enjoyable.

Back to the great divide - accuracy v preference.

The former can be defined precisely and is universal, given a reference.
The latter can't be defined outside of the individual.

Big mistake to conflate the two things in argument - you go round and round for years ;)

I'm not as hardcore as Serge, but I do want the signal at the amp output to transparently represent what was on the recording. I am then free to screw it up to taste if I so choose, But I am at least screwing up what the artist wanted me to hear, not what he wanted me to hear plus what a poor design has added/subtracted.

Chris

Just tried my new iPhone 4 that arrived yesterday (sorry, way behind the curve here) though my HiFi and it sounds just like the new airport express TBH. It is however easier to simpy stream spotify via airplay and to have bits of wire sticking out of the phone and having to sync via iTunes.

Some people do get their knickers in a twist over stuff.

Having spent a morning trying unsuccessfully to get my SBT to a) connect to my network and b) play music, I've decided that I'm sticking to LPs and CDs.

I hate computers!

Just tried my new iPhone 4 that arrived yesterday (sorry, way behind the curve here) though my HiFi and it sounds just like the new airport express TBH. It is however easier to simpy stream spotify via airplay and to have bits of wire sticking out of the phone and having to sync via iTunes.

Some people do get their knickers in a twist over stuff.

Yes much easier for use in a system with airplay.
There are implications for headphone users though, since we now know that the iphones are fundamentally accurate music players with good quality headphone amps. This was certainly not the expectation on hi-fi forums, or the opinion stated in hi-fi mags so perhaps this 644 post epic thread will help encourage more to try.

Though as usual, discussion around the very obvious merits of a product are buried in tit-for-tat game playing by who think everything has to be about which of two labels you wear.

Back to the great divide - accuracy v preference.

The former can be defined precisely and is universal, given a reference.
The latter can't be defined outside of the individual.

Big mistake to conflate the two things in argument - you go round and round for years ;)
very true but why analyse and measure things to death? I've spent thousands and wasted just as much on equipment over the years. it's a hobby and I like listening to music. if someone invented the perfect system and it doesn't sound as good as one that isn't accurate and coloured I wouldn't buy it.
to my ears, if it sounds better it is better. I can understand both camps.
its the bit where someone would admit they preferred the sound of a system and its more enjoyable but won't have because its not accurate that I can't get my head around.

I'm not as hardcore as Serge, but I do want the signal at the amp output to transparently represent what was on the recording. I am then free to screw it up to taste if I so choose, But I am at least screwing up what the artist wanted me to hear, not what he wanted me to hear plus what a poor design has added/subtracted.

Chris

I think it's very unlikely that what comes out of your amp is what the artist heard in the studio when it was being mixed. All I want is a system that makes a good job of playing all types of music. I don't care if it's transparent or not.

It's really very simple.
You can decide to compare things by actively introducing the many forms of known bias, or you can actively seek to remove them, for which there is no downside. There is no case for the former position, other than wanting the results to match you own current prejudice.

The results from inadequate sighted listening tests are always repeatable and demonstrable. You're just repeating the effect of the test inadequacies.

Ken Rockwells listening test of the iPhone5 was sighted, and didn't even involve any comparative listening. His prejudices are clear. He did not seek to remove any of the many forms of known bias. So you would have to agree that his listening 'test' was completely inadequate by your own standards, and it's conclusion of very little value.

Ken Rockwells listening test of the iPhone5 was sighted, and didn't even involve any comparative listening. His prejudices are clear. He did not seek to remove any of the many forms of known bias, So you would have to agree that his listening 'test' was completely inadequate by your own standards.

your confusing measuring and listening and comparison by listening...

it clearly says it measures well and when listening to it sounds good as expected....

Lol! If sounding good "as expected" isn't expectation bias, what is!!!???

not at all - he was just listening to it why would someone expect it to sound like a bag of spanners.... it wasn't a test it was just listening.... you really are not making your point very well, if at all.

he heard it - thought it sounded good.

it measures well so we should expect it to sound fine.

i tried one in my system it sounded fine.... better in fact than an old portable cd player....

no testing done just playing music.

not at all - he was just listening to it why would someone expect it to sound like a bag of spanners.... it wasn't a test it was just listening.... you really are not making your point very well, if at all.

he heard it - thought it sounded good.

it measures well so we should expect it to sound fine.

i tried one in my system it sounded fine.... better in fact than an old portable cd player....ou

no testing done just playing music.

You "expect it to sound fine". You "tried one in my system". It "sounded fine".

Fancy that! Expectation bias works!

Yet if Steven Toy had said something "sounded fine" you would jump down his throat!

Having spent a morning trying unsuccessfully to get my SBT to a) connect to my network and b) play music, I've decided that I'm sticking to LPs and CDs.

I hate computers!

I work with computers day in day out! For you it would be easier to get an Airplay enabled transport then stream music from something like Spotify from your iPhone, iPod or iPad to the Airplay reciever. Spotify's sound quality is quite good enough.

I own the older Squeezebox Duet and it works fine - but yes - sometimes you have to know a little about networking to sort it out. The Airplay method is far more straightforward.

Thinking about it - if anyone needs any help with streaming, networking and those pesky computers that live nearby, in and around the Norfolk area - I don't mind stepping in and helping sort out your issues.

How are you people using your iPHone 5 in a hifi set up?

To get a digital signal out into my DAC or USB/Spdif converter, would I feed the Lightning USB cable into an A Female to B Male adaptor?

You "expect it to sound fine". You "tried one in my system". It "sounded fine".

Fancy that! Expectation bias works!

Yet if Steven Toy had said something "sounded fine" you would jump down his throat!

utter tripe....

you know better than that.... And you are completely misappropriating what I have said.... it is not that i expected it to sound good so it does at all....

It's sounds good because it is good and the measurements back it up.

use your brain.

steven's gear sounds good because it it well engineered... doh! no surprise that he has gradually evolved from a flat earther towards proper kit based on good engineering principles and bravo for him for doing that....

expecting something to sound good does not always make it sound good.... you completely misunderstand expectation bias. plus this was just plain listening not comparison or anything.... no tests were done. nothing scientific. yet you subjectivists are foaming at the mouth.... unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back