advertisement

iOS vs Android

I switch between Android & iOS all the time...

iPhones are superb if you want very easy to use phones and tie in with an Apple ecosystem etc; they also retain their values very well when compared to Android handsets

If you want a better choice of customisation; better/brighter and larger screens, the Android (more so the likes of the top spec Samsung, Google etc devices) are very hard to beat

What both phones do superbly (the top spec phones this is) is take superb pictures and video!

The likes of the iPhone 12/13 Pro Max, the Samsung S21/S22 Ultra and Google Pixel 6 Pro have fantastic cameras & are very capable of taking superb pics/videos etc

However, one thing that iPhones don't offer anywhere near as much as Android is the midrange phones! A lot of these (again mainly Samsung and the likes of Xiaomi etc) offer great midrange phones that do a lot of what the top spec phones offer; but at less than half their price, but with software/RAM/memory & camera sacrifices etc

Really; it's all down to what's wanted from the phone & what the budget is etc...

More devices can be mentioned then to choose from

IPhone has reached over 50% market share of smart phones in use in the USA. Highest since Android launched in 2008.

I struggled to find an Android phone with a reasonable sized display, most are huge and heavy. Apple seems to still make some sensible sized phones.

I vowed I would never buy anything from Apple, so I had to get a 2nd hand one :)

I can’t get on with Android! Everything you need is only 10 clicks away………honestly you can’t answer a phone call by just pressing the green answer call button.

I have Android. I agree that it is often a pain. I could not answer the phone at all, until I discovered- by accident, that if I swipe up the green button I can answer immediately. Why didn't someone tell me this? Also, android is cheaper- especially if you buy direct from China- which I did for my first Stupidphone.

However, I came off the rails/unstuck when I needed a new battery. They wanted me to buy a new Stupidphone instead- almost the same invisible cost.

I have a constructive suggestion for Samsung's consideration: change your corporate name to 'Sungsong'.
Or, alternatively, to Sadsong. Or, to 'Seesawsangsung'.

I didn't. I bought the very lowest cost Samsung from a local shop instead. Further aggro ensued. Samsung gets on my nerves big time....especially my Samsung tablet. The kindest remark I can make is that the camera on both is great. I must learn how to use them.

For me, most smart phones are grossly oversized, over specced and over priced. I was fed up with big phones, in fact I hate the bloody things with a pasion. The only sensibly sized phones I could find when I wanted to change recently were things like the iPhone SE, so I bought one, my very first and so far only Apple product. It's ok, it works, mostly, and fits in my pocket.

Most of my Android owning friends complain at the price (they’re a rip off!) and / or say that the system is inflexible. Well, yes, but they are a comms device with an easy and relatively intuitive interface which, after a day using Samsung phone / tablet and Windows is an exercise in zen relaxation compared to Android. Windows is improving..
I also wonder if youngsters are so used to different OS from an early age that it doesn’t phase them at all.

I'd still happily be using my Pixel 3a xl if I hadn't dropped it and broke the screen. Google offered £130 as a trade-in for a Pixel 6a, so I went for that.

Apart from the slightly better camera, I think I preferred my old 3a xl. Although there's not much difference between the two.

I'd still happily be using my Pixel 3a xl if I hadn't dropped it and broke the screen. Google offered £130 as a trade-in for a Pixel 6a, so I went for that.

Apart from the slightly better camera, I think I preferred my old 3a xl. Although there's not much difference between the two.

For me, my Pixel 4XL was better than the Pixel 6 Pro I had..

Took better pictures and just felt smoother to use..

Hi,

Happy Apple user here, everything just works fine and all the other Apple devices talk to one another. :)

Tried Android, the phone ended against the wall in bits, nothing simple about that system, was like playing an adventure game. :mad:

Cheers

John

Hi,

Happy Apple user here, everything just works fine and all the other Apple devices talk to one another. :)

Tried Android, the phone ended against the wall in bits, nothing simple about that system, was like playing an adventure game. :mad:

Cheers

John

Android is very easy to use but it's completely different to iOS and tI hink that's where people fall down...

Once you're used it it, it's great.. Smooth, adaptive and much more customisable than iOS is...

It's all about personal preference...

It's like car brand vs car brand etc

it is about familiarity and expectations defined by familiarity.

I used to teach a module on usability, and got students to run usability tests on various phone OS's as a piece of coursework. The results were always pretty clear - people mostly have a preference for the OS they are familiar with. Windows phone was highly rated.

I had iPad in the past, OH had iPad and iPhone, both now Android only. iPod Classics have been retained, but even then, the interface is a pain; much easier with my FiiO portable to simply copy/paste files.

Simply could not stand having to go through iTunes to do something as basic as move files around. The nuisance that is the one-way, 'slave device follows master library' concept, wherein I could not simply move music files to and from the device, and had to Sync them to the PC.

I recently changed PC, and transferring my mp3 library from old PC to new was simply a case of moving the secondary drive from the old machine to the new one. They're a simple copy/paste away for both the Android devices, and the portable player. When I want to get iTunes working to change the content of the iPod, I'll have to download iTunes again, populate the library by importing the mp3 folder), and Sync it.

I do agree transferring music to iPhone is total shit. On the rare occasions I do it I have to wait twenty minutes whilst it transfers data to Apple, which I expressly said no to in the install.

For me, my Pixel 4XL was better than the Pixel 6 Pro I had..

Took better pictures and just felt smoother to use..

I watched quite a few YouTube reviews before buying my Pixel 6a, and it seems there was some kind of fault with the camera on the 6 that causes some photos to be washed out. After seeing lots of comparisons I decided the 6a was better value for money.

I started using a smartphone in August 2010, it was an iPhone 4. Android was a joke back then. I never looked back.
iOS it is, full stop.
I have to use Android at work though :eek:
Yuck.

I had my first iPhone in 2008. Lasted as long as my contract, what an awful experience. Moved as soon as I could. A brief move to Windows Phone (a great os), ever since Android all the way

I had my first iPhone in 2008. Lasted as long as my contract, what an awful experience. Moved as soon as I could. A brief move to Windows Phone (a great os), ever since Android all the way
Funny how different our experiences are!

advertisement

Back