advertisement

Internet streaming radio for the kitchen

Morning all,
I’m after an internet radio for the kitchen. I’d prefer stereo with fm. Nice screen etc. My budget is £100, no more. I’ve seen some Pure and Roberts but over budget. There are also names like Auna and Majority which are nearer budget. There’s also a Sharp with good reviews. I have an Echo Dot and Echo but want something with a more solid sound. Any ideas?

I was after the same about a year ago for the garage and picked up a used Revo Heritage for about £60 - fine thing for DAB, FM and net radio (wired and wireless) and less faffing about than the RPi set up I was using. Can also output to amp or active speakers.

Worth looking out for ...

I don’t think you’ll get anything new that sounds good at the £100 mark. And I am not aware of any on the market that offer stereo for that money. Tivoli used to be good, but nowadays are very poorly made and the sound quality is poor. The Ruark R1 and Revo Superconnect are both very good but much more expensive. No idea if these might come up secondhand though.

Morning all,
I’m after an internet radio for the kitchen. I’d prefer stereo with fm. Nice screen etc. My budget is £100, no more. I’ve seen some Pure and Roberts but over budget. There are also names like Auna and Majority which are nearer budget. There’s also a Sharp with good reviews. I have an Echo Dot and Echo but want something with a more solid sound. Any ideas?
Having put together a Picoreplayer this summer and having an old Tivoli Radio - I would be tempted to try this.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=97100

The folks at I - Peng did this:
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2017/02/26/building-a-radio-for-ipeng/

[QUOTE="Being a long time LMS user I had thought of this but I’m not a fan of the black plastic.[/QUOTE]

They also came in red and white, plus having a battery pack means they are very portable - I even use mine outside. :)

[QUOTE="Being a long time LMS user I had thought of this but I’m not a fan of the black plastic.

They also came in red and white, plus having a battery pack means they are very portable - I even use mine outside. :)[/QUOTE]
Might consider white but didn’t they suffer from plastic degradation(sticky rubber)? I’ll maybe take a look again.

We use an echo dot via Bluetooth to the aforementioned Sony srs-x55. It works perfectly. In fact any Bluetooth speaker will work.

For a bigger sound and FM then a used Denon DM38... etc with a Chromecast audio would be great. The later Denon units have Bluetooth and a decent internal dac but may be out of budget.

We've just slightly re-jigged our kitchen set-up so it's now got an Echo Show 5 bluetoothed into the Cambridge Audio all-in-one & little Tannoy speakers that were already there. My wife mostly listens to the radio and previously that would have been via DAB in the kitchen, but she prefers being able to use voice commands to the Echo so now pretty much exclusively listens to internet radio instead.

If we didn't already have the all-in-one system there we'd probably have just gone with a bluetooth speaker, but it does sound pretty good this way.

They also came in red and white, plus having a battery pack means they are very portable - I even use mine outside. :)
Might consider white but didn’t they suffer from plastic degradation(sticky rubber)? I’ll maybe take a look again.[/QUOTE]
Haven't had any problems with my two SB Radios in that respect. It's my SB Boom that suffered the dreaded sticky rubber syndrome.

advertisement

Back