advertisement

Internet streaming radio for the kitchen

Del monaco

Del Monaco
Morning all,
I’m after an internet radio for the kitchen. I’d prefer stereo with fm. Nice screen etc. My budget is £100, no more. I’ve seen some Pure and Roberts but over budget. There are also names like Auna and Majority which are nearer budget. There’s also a Sharp with good reviews. I have an Echo Dot and Echo but want something with a more solid sound. Any ideas?

Not at your price point unless you look second hand? I liked the Logitech boom thing they used to do but quite rare to come up

I've got a couple of Tangent Quattro radios which are good, but now obsolete. We got a JVC RA-D58B thingy for the bedroom - was about 70 quid if I remember rightly.
At the time, I found it surprisingly difficult to find reasonably priced internet radios.

Have to have 'em, so Signora can listen to her fave Italian stations.

I also think it'll be hard to get anything new that sounds really good at your budget.

I recently got one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071CR3RR8/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21 for our kitchen. Very pleased with the sound quality. It has DLNA support, so you can control it directly from LMS using the Upnp/DLNA bridge. I've also got an obsolete iPad sitting on top of it to provide a local controller in order to not to be reliant on always using a phone. They do smaller models as well which are cheaper, although you'd probably lose a bit of bass.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I also think it'll be hard to get anything new that sounds really good at your budget.

I recently got one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071CR3RR8/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21 for our kitchen. Very pleased with the sound quality. It has DLNA support, so you can control it directly from LMS using the Upnp/DLNA bridge. I've also got an obsolete iPad sitting on top of it to provide a local controller in order to not to be reliant on always using a phone. They do smaller models as well which are cheaper, although you'd probably lose a bit of bass.

A £300 (near enough) device is not anywhere close to what the OP was asking for.
And has no screen.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Morning all,
I’m after an internet radio for the kitchen. I’d prefer stereo with fm. Nice screen etc. My budget is £100, no more. I’ve seen some Pure and Roberts but over budget. There are also names like Auna and Majority which are nearer budget. There’s also a Sharp with good reviews. I have an Echo Dot and Echo but want something with a more solid sound. Any ideas?

Why do you need a screen?

If you're sure you don't need a wired internet connection, and you just want something while cooking, I have a Roberts Radio Stream104 and for voice and background music and it does the job fine. But no ethernet as I say so you need to be really sure that your wifi will be up to it. I have much bigger and more expensive internet radios, Roberts, but quite frankly I don't appreciate their sound any more than the little cheap one. We're not talking hifi, but it's perfectly listenable.

I also have old cheapish bluetooth speakers, Sony SRSX55, which I can use with a tablet or phone for radio -- what I've found with this is that its sound quality is very position dependent, it wants to be up against a wall. But it's fine for just a bit of background music or radio.

But if you have a decent tablet or phone, try just using that with no additional speakers first. You may be surprised how well it works when you're close to it at least. I was.

A general word of warning with internet radios, at least Roberts (which are the only ones I've experienced.) They are well made pieces of equipment, but sometimes they can fail and you don't know why. It may be the router, the wifi extenders, the radio station signal, the radio. And it's easy to come to the conclusion that it's the radio when it isn't. Be careful you don't throw one away when in fact the problem is external -- I have, it stayed in the bin for a couple of weeks and just before giving it to the binmen something told me to give it another chance. I did, it worked, that was five years ago, it's still working.

A £300 (near enough) device is not anywhere close to what the OP was asking for.
And has no screen.

True enough. They do a smaller, battery powered, version, for £100 less. See here

I am tempted to get one as the smaller, cheaper, Pure radio that I have just bought is crap.

True enough. They do a smaller, battery powered, version, for £100 less. See here

I am tempted to get one as the smaller, cheaper, Pure radio that I have just bought is crap.

Yes, I made my suggestion on the basis that I know the OP uses LMS which can drive a DLNA device directly,plus there are cheaper versions available, and the C5 seems to get great reviews despite its small size. Of course there are many other DLNA speakers available too.

The LMS integration is key because it gets you direct access to BBC radio, internet streaming and local music from the same app with no messing about having to cast/airplay etc.

Yes, I made my suggestion on the basis that I know the OP uses LMS which can drive a DLNA device directly,plus there are cheaper versions available, and the C5 seems to get great reviews despite its small size. Of course there are many other DLNA speakers available too.

The LMS integration is key because it gets you direct access to BBC radio, internet streaming and local music from the same app with no messing about having to cast/airplay etc.
I thought the C3 and C10 had the same software functionality, just that the C3 is smaller, cheaper, and has a battery.

Good suggestions thanks. MusicCast speakers a little above my budget so thinking of employing a Pi and amp hat installed into other attached to some small passives. I already have the Pi and hat so just need to look for some decent kitchen friendly speakers I think.

I use a Google Home for radio listening in the kitchen. Why bother with anything complicated?

advertisement

Back