advertisement

Integrated amp suggestions under £1k - new or used.

Heed Elixir is a really nice amplifier, or the Heed Obelisk MK2 which I've seen and bought used well within the op's budget. I've always liked them in whatever system I've heard them part of.
I did have one on home demo for a while and preferred it to both the Elex R and Elicit R. I eventually sold my Naim pre and power and for £340 I bought a Heed Obelisk MK2 with Dac Card.
Maybe worthwhile reading up of the Heed Intergrated amplifiers, plenty seem to like what they hear with these.

+1 for the Roksan k3. Or an nearly new K2. Later ones have bluetooth too which is surprisingly useful.
I am no critic but smooth and powerful I would say.

Heed Elixir is a really nice amplifier, or the Heed Obelisk MK2 which I've seen and bought used well within the op's budget. I've always liked them in whatever system I've heard them part of.
I did have one on home demo for a while and preferred it to both the Elex R and Elicit R. I eventually sold my Naim pre and power and for £340 I bought a Heed Obelisk MK2 with Dac Card.
Maybe worthwhile reading up of the Heed Intergrated amplifiers, plenty seem to like what they hear with these.

Cool, more investigative work to keep my chemo-fogged brain ticking over, although I must admit I am intrigued by Alex S's suggestion. I suspect digital may be the way to go, but thanks for all your suggestions.

If you like the sound from valve, try some Croft Micro Basic preamp and a Series 7 power amp. The preamp uses one ECC83 in the line stage and the power amp is a hybrid with a ECC83 stage driving output transistors. They sound more dynamic than the Sugden A21a.

I have a Naim nac72 and nap140 that I am thinking of selling. Way better than a Naim integrated Or a rega integrated. I'm not big on Musical fidelity equipment. And have no experience with Sugden so can't comment on them
I have heard a Heed pre and mono blocks they were pretty good.
Good luck with your search.

I would consider replacing the Jura first

Perhaps look for some Snell K if you can find a good pair, mk1 the best
If possible Snell J/1 or /II if you can control the bas and leave them out from wall

Audio Note make some excellent speakers for valve use too, more expensive though

Old Castle Chester comes to mind or JPW P1 which was rather good and close to Snell K quality.
Early Heybrook perhaps, HB1, Quartet..excellent speakers which will work with your valve amp

A few leaders, Mostly used, but you can often buy sligthly used amplifier for 50% of new price.
Roksan Caspian M2 - used are sometimes even for 900 (i purchased my own 6 month old for 950).
Exposure 3010SD 2
Used Hegel H160
Yamaha A-S2100
Used Krell S300i. That one is really hi-end machine.

I don't whether it's still valid, but Musicraft has Arcam A39 for something sligthly above 700 pounds.

You can get some amazing amps secondhand for very little money. I inherited a reconditioned (by Naim) 52/supercap/250 and for financial reasons I decided to sell it. I bought a new NAD 320BEE for 200 notes and to my amazement I preferred it to the Naim!! The NAD has a bit of a cult following so you will pay over £100 for a good one on ebay (or the well nigh identical 325BEE).

Secondhand Cambridge Audio Azur amps are amazing value, and as with the NAD you can sell them on if you aren't happy.

Good luck with kicking cancer's ass.

Nic P

advertisement

Back