advertisement

Integrated amp suggestions under £1k - new or used.

walriley

Drum nut. Music nut. pix nut
I'm currently using a heavily modded World Audio Design KIT6550. It's been upgraded with gold pinned Telefunken E80CF signal valves from Watford valves; output valves substituted for Gold LIon KT88s from Hot Rox; rectifiers are grey plate Svetlanas, plus numerous cap updates and a reduction in neg feedback. It's a really nice amp that has served me well for many a year, but i'm getting the upgrade bug. Due to my current circumstances (just in the process of kicking cancer's ass), it would have to be on a limited budget, hence the suggestion of used and new.
On Ebay, there are a few interesting items, such as a s/h Musical Fidelity A5 and A3.2. A Rega Elicit, and of course, there are the new Brio R and Elex R to consider.
My main problem is that, having been out of the hifi loop for so long, I have no point of reference regarding my amp, in that I don't know where it stands among it's commercially produced peers. It could be that the amp stands comparison in the £2-3K bracket. Alternatively, it may get it's ass whipped by a £300 Richer sounds special!
Not entirely trusting of magazine reviews so hoping for some hands on, objective experience, thanks.

What are your sonic priorities? If you’re looking at solid state, coming from valves, maybe consider Sugden or even Sony ES range. Rega will take you in a slightly different direction.

Obviously listing my other stuff would help! I have a Philips CD PRO II based DIY transport, feeding a Rega DAC-R into the amp. The speakers are Rega Juras, recapped with Jantzen silver z's and the crossover removed into an external box. quite shocking how much of the glare has gone from the speakers after these mods! I've had quite a bit of Rega stuff before, so familiar with the house sound, and I'm not necessarily after a valve flavoured balance.
As good as the amp is, (and it's well lush!), pentode amps aren't noted for their refined upper treble. a bit more air and dynamic contrast would be nice, although I realise that this might be asking a bit too much in this price range. trying to avoid anything too bright, as the room has laminate flooring, with a smallish rug and minimal soft furnishings.

In that case the sugden may be for you. They have a crystal clear presentation with a hear through midband that I think would suit the regas very well...I think there is one for sale on here at less than your budget..

As an ex WAD KiT 6550 user , try and listen to any potential amps at home as you will find it hard to beat your current WAD amp without spending silly money .

PS . try a different ECF80 , I did a lot of tube rolling with mine and always thought the Tele valve sounded a little hard , Brimars and Phillips sounded lovely to my ears .

how limited is 'limited' budget wise?
If it's reeeely small I'd keep what you have. To sound like that from new you'd be well north of £1500 at a guess.
If you want a change, I'd second Sugden or if small is actually quite medium, then an older Accuphase might be a good compromise.

I have owned the Sugden A21 at two different points and while it sounded great, 'air' and 'dynamic contrast' aren't quite how I'd describe the sound. It's very euphonic.

Maybe try to have a listen to some of the OTL Croft 25/7 series, you can get varying degrees of tone depending on your choice of valves but they are very dynamic and open overall. And excellent value, especially s/h.

My money would probably go on an Astin Trew integrated s/h. They are voiced similar to valve amps but can drive most speakers. More power and better facilities.

Last edited:
Many years ago I had a demo at WAD versus the amp I had at the time, an AKSA 100N, was rather better than the 6550. I didn't want to like the 300B PSE but is was hugely superior to the 6550 and also quite a bit better than the AKSA, albeit with efficient Snell (or AN?) speakers. I got the impression that the 6550 was the weak link inthe WAD lineup. Anyway, I'm not saying this to slag your amp off, just that you shouldn't assume a modern SS amp is not better.
In fact I do remember a hifi show where Noel Keywood compared a WAD6550 to a Nait 5i (on the basis they were the same price!). The speakers were a pair of Tannoy Westminsters. I was not the only one there who thought the Nait was slightly better.

Some time after both those events I bought a Union research Unico Primo after demoing against Nait XS and a Roksan. I would recommend keeping an eye out for an Onion Research.

I am looking to move away from valves because of all the tube rolling palaver. I never used to mind it so much, but the last 12 months has really focused me on keeping things simple and if I can wangle an upgrade in the process then whoopie! Spotted an old battered but working Magnum Audio integrated on EBay. Tempted........

I had borrowed a pair of the WAD 300B PSE monoblocks from a mate and, although they had more precision, air and detail in the sound, with a bigger acoustic, somehow, the 6550 played a tune better. It was a bit warm and woolly though, so popped in the gold lions and that toughened up the sound a lot. Was playing the system just before and it does sound great, so in a bit of a dilemma now!

I´ve had 3 Sugdens since 1975. No such thing as a house sound other than the mids; if you listen to the extremes euphonic and lush was the A48II, the A21 a fair bit less so, the A21a not at all and the A21Se is razor sharp and clear. No idea how they would sound with the Regas.

If your local Richer Sounds will let you test a display model? (they did let me)

Roksan K3 amp. Bit more than 1k but I think it sounds nice and it does useful stuff

As you already have quite a lot of Rega kit, obvious contenders have to be the Elicit-R but even second hand it may be over your budget but a definite contender must be the Elex-r at £900 new (before any discount from dealer). I have both & whilst the Elicit-R is more refined in operation & facilities, the Elex-R offers much better value for money & performance wise I would say it is difficult to separate the two. The Elex-R has less power but mine is in a room measuring 22ft x 13ft driving a pair of ProAc Tablette Anniversary speakers (87dB sensitivy) & Castle Classic sub-woofer from the pre-outs & it fills the room with sound without any stress.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Anyone had experience of the musical fidelity stuff?

One that caught my attention was the AVI Laboratory integrated. Fanthorpes have one for just under 800. Opinions on this?

As an ex WAD KiT 6550 user , try and listen to any potential amps at home as you will find it hard to beat your current WAD amp without spending silly money .

PS . try a different ECF80 , I did a lot of tube rolling with mine and always thought the Tele valve sounded a little hard , Brimars and Phillips sounded lovely to my ears .

Did try a few by the way, but the Tele helped open the sound out a load and give it more composure. Everything else sounds fuzzy in comparison. Even bog standard teles!
Amazing how much difference there is between rectifier valves, too!

advertisement

Back