advertisement

Innuos Sense app and V2.2.0 update

Hey, the guy likes his Orange Squeeze app, why is he being treated like some oddball? It’s not so hard to politely point out the options in the Sense app (as some indeed have done) without attacks on his character.

Last post, unless someone replies with something actually helpful.
As granny used to say, if you can't explain it so granny can understand it, you don't really understand it.
Ok.
Because I do want to help you I reinstalled Orange Squeeze on my phone.
Finds the Zenith no problem but in terms of Artists/Albums it only appears to be finding music that I've played in the last few days which is a very small fraction of my overall library.
This suggests to me that Orange Squeeze is no longer compatible with Innuos servers - maybe you could contact the Innuos helpdesk to confirm this is the case - nothing to lose and these guys are extremely helpful.
If this does indeed turn out to be the case then the only options I can see is to either sell on your Zenith and replace it with something compatible with Orange Squeeze or try to gradually get to grips with the Sense app.
I hope you choose the latter option as I really do think the Sense app is excellent - even better than the Bluesound app which is high praise indeed.

Developement of "Orange Squeeze" ceased over two years ago

It's function was control of LMS upon which Innuos was (maybe still is, to some extent, ie a rewrite of LMS, which is open source) based.

I presume that the "Sense" App is the replacement control for the new configuration which still does, I believe incorporate parts of the old LMS (BBC Sounds, for example)

So "Orange Squeeze" no longer functions in the same manner and it is likely that other apps with a similar functionality may also fail, but may be worth trying [Squeezer, Squeeze Ctrl for example].

I guess it is no longer possible to use IP Address of Zenith:9000 ?

ronnie

So "Orange Squeeze" no longer functions in the same manner and it is likely that other apps with a similar functionality may also fail, but may be worth trying [Squeezer, Squeeze Ctrl for example].
I still have Squeeze Control on my laptop so had a look and confirm that it only sees a small amount of my library as mentioned above.
Took an option to do a rescan of library and that has effectively removed everything.

I asked here before contacting Innuos, as that normally gets me good advice. And at last there is some!
I will ask Innuos if I can revert to an earlier version, if that is the only way.
Not being very interested in computers, nor growing up with them, I want the simplicity* I had before the updates. I works for me, and I really don't want the extras. Like Windows 10!
* I have just bought an automatic car for my wife, and it has a manual option. She really doesn't need it, and it is causing all sorts of difficulties as she tries to regain her confidence. Sometimes more is less!

You don’t have to download the Sense app, can be controlled via your browser by typing ‘my Innuos’. Same functionality.

This is my first experience of a HD/Streamer system & think it is great.

Some rather aggressive replies on this post.

Sense app is excellent - even better than the Bluesound app which is high praise indeed.
Couldn't agree more.
Have just taken delivery of a 1TB ZenITH MK3 (27/11) after having run a Node2 for 6yrs. Yes it took me an hour or so to get a basic handle on the different (to BluOS) task pathways, but now I'm loving it, it's so much slicker and way more powerful than BluOS. Still plenty of tricks to learn but it's so intuitive that the learning process is fun in itself.
Another benefit for me is the ability to cap the output at 96 kHz for my dac so I can put anything from Qobuz in a playlist rather than having to check the bit rate first when it's labelled as HiRes.

Last edited:
Like the OP I am far from a fan of computers/tech and find the area anxiety provoking. However the sense app is well worth pursuing with IMO and once I got there, there was no going back to orange squeeze.

Last edited:
Nice quick reply from Innuos. I haven't responded yet, as I will need to check their suggestions and see if they work.

Hi Richard,

I'm sorry to hear that you are not fond of Sense. While you can use Orange Squeeze, you will have to do more manual work such as manually rescanning your library to use it. But having said this, perhaps there are things that are indeed possible to do but just not the way you were used to. To cover your questions:

1. Fast scrolling through artists - you now have a search on that page where just typing a few letters of the artist will get you to the artist you want. It's way faster than scrolling through a long list. When clicking on search you do also have the regular A-Z index as before.
2 - This is something that we will provide very soon from the Artist page and also as a Smart Mix.
3 - You can easily navigate genres, even multiple genres at a time, something that Orange Squeeze doesn't do. Go to Albums, click the filter icon on the top right and you can select albums in one or more genres there. You can even do something like: "Show all albums in High-Res from Genre Classical and Orchestral" for example.

Perhaps give it another try and after the initial learning curve, you may actually enjoy it. If you still don't then we can do a remote session to show you what you need to do to keep using Orange Squeeze.

Best Regards,

Point 1). Not really true, as using the cursor at the side in Orange Squeeze is VERY fast, and doesn't require any typing. Especially if I am undecided as to what I want. I can go top to bottom and back in a couple of seconds, and stop in the middle, and move on, etc.
2). Good.
3). That is what I will have to check. I think the genres are in Orange Squeeze, not in the Zenith, though.

I have had a remote session before to fix a problem, so that is good to hear.

When I feel up to it, I will check it all out.

1) Yes I can do exactly that in Sense. If you can’t then you almost certainly have a connectivity issue as previously mentioned.

3) Anything you have ripped on your Zenith will have genres ascribed as previously described.

In terms of shuffling your 30 albums you have multiple ways to do this in Sense. A permanent playlist would be the obvious solution but you could also try searching for the artist and when the albums come up you mark each as a favourite and then use the Play Favourite Albums Smart Mix. That will then do exactly as you wish for that artist.

1) Yes I can do exactly that in Sense. If you can’t then you almost certainly have a connectivity issue as previously mentioned.

3) Anything you have ripped on your Zenith will have genres ascribed as previously described.

In terms of shuffling your 30 albums you have multiple ways to do this in Sense. A permanent playlist would be the obvious solution but you could also try searching for the artist and when the albums come up you mark each as a favourite and then use the Play Favourite Albums Smart Mix. That will then do exactly as you wish for that artist.
1) After unlocking my tablet's screen:
Orange Squeeze>Artists>Slide sidebar from A to Z, change mind, back to C>Camille>hold down>play>shuffle tracks>shuffle albums. 52 seconds and music is playing.
My Innuos>Zenith Music Server>Music>Artists>Search>TypeCami>Camille(7 albums)>play one of them.
1m31secs, and that is one album, no going from A to Z and changing my mind. No Play all albums, no shuffle. Can't do that in Sense, see point 2). And I can't see a slider for fast scrolling. Have you found one?

2) Re-reading my email to Innuos, I think this is in reply to my question about holding down the artist's name and playing all, including shuffle. I think; it isn't exactly clear.

3) I have found the genres as stated. But they are individual albums.
I can find Vocal, and all of Camille's albums, but I still can't play all of them without performing more actions.
I have 1934 albums and 2307 artists. That is an awful lot of work to try to mimic what I can do in 52 seconds in Orange Squeeze, if I want to be able to do it for all artists.
At least I have now got further than I could before, but no cigar.

BTW, I am asking here before bothering Innuos, as I may not need to, or at least not about so many different things.
As I have listened most music in my library, shuffling an artist's catalogue means I get to listen to stuff I may have bypassed before. It makes sense to me, at least.

1) After unlocking my tablet's screen:
Orange Squeeze>Artists>Slide sidebar from A to Z, change mind, back to C>Camille>hold down>play>shuffle tracks>shuffle albums. 52 seconds and music is playing.
My Innuos>Zenith Music Server>Music>Artists>Search>TypeCami>Camille(7 albums)>play one of them.
1m31secs, and that is one album, no going from A to Z and changing my mind. No Play all albums, no shuffle. Can't do that in Sense, see point 2). And I can't see a slider for fast scrolling. Have you found one?

2) Re-reading my email to Innuos, I think this is in reply to my question about holding down the artist's name and playing all, including shuffle. I think; it isn't exactly clear.

3) I have found the genres as stated. But they are individual albums.
I can find Vocal, and all of Camille's albums, but I still can't play all of them without performing more actions.
I have 1934 albums and 2307 artists. That is an awful lot of work to try to mimic what I can do in 52 seconds in Orange Squeeze, if I want to be able to do it for all artists.
At least I have now got further than I could before, but no cigar.

Er you can definitely shuffle in Sense. You need to explore comprehensively rather than post.

I can also slide from A-Z at speed using a finger drag. It’s instantaneous and produces a small but visible scroll indicator to the right of the screen. If I am quick I can grab that scroll indicator and use that to scroll but I see no point. It’s just there to indicate where you are. The finger drag is lightning quick. I can go from A to Z on 2,640 albums in under 10 seconds. If you can’t then, again, connectivity.

I have just checked and Vocal is there as a genre. It’s not one I personally find especially useful so I only have 8 albums filed as such but it is definitely there.

Er you can definitely shuffle in Sense. You need to explore comprehensively rather than post.

I can also slide from A-Z at speed using a finger drag. It’s instantaneous and produces a small but visible scroll indicator to the right of the screen. If I am quick I can grab that scroll indicator and use that to scroll but I see no point. It’s just there to indicate where you are. The finger drag is lightning quick. I can go from A to Z on 2,640 albums in under 10 seconds. If you can’t then, again, connectivity.

I have just checked and Vocal is there as a genre. It’s not one I personally find especially useful so I only have 8 albums filed as such but it is definitely there.
I can't slide at speed. There is a tiny bit of a scroll indicator on the right, but it is impossible to use for scrolling on my tablet.
You can go from A-Z in under 10 seconds. In Orange Squeeze I can do it in about 1 second, and go up and down again at the same speed. And it shows the letter of the alphabet as it moves. In Sense it takes several swipes, and if done at speed nothing is visible as I scroll, so I don't know where I am until I stop.
The Vocal genre was simply an example; I could pick Bandcamp, which has about 200 artists. In Sense I have go to albums to find genres; far less useful.
Exploring comprehensively is not something I want to do, nor am I good at it. I want simple, which is what I had. So where is shuffle? I am playing an album and can't see shuffle, just pause, back or forwards.
And what does "connectivity" mean in this context, anyway?

Sigh.

I’m really pleased you can scroll your entire music collection in 1 second. I’m afraid I don’t find that credible or relevant. I doubt anyone with human eyes could locate where they need to be in 1 second with a music collection the size you previously described. Your eyes cannot focus that fast. Criticising software for not moving at a speed faster than the human eye can see to focus. The average foveation time for a stationary object is about 190ms. It increases with the speed of any moving any object you’re trying to view. So, to be blunt, I call BS at this point.

Where do you expect to genres other than attached to albums? Many/most artists operate across genres so you could try to attach genres to artists but it would be simplistic and likely a bit crap.

Exploring comprehensively is the most basic thing you need to do in order to understand how deep and hey simple an app like Sense is. You get out what you put in. No aspect of it is complex or time-consuming. It’s simply common sense that you would not post on a forum until you have fully familiarised yourself with that which you seek to so comprehensively criticise.

It seems to me that where we’re at here is that you want to criticise Sense despite being unfamiliar with it and your unfamiliarity is based on more than your not being bothered to explore because it doesn’t in the first few seconds of use replicate exactly every single element of a pretty poor and out of date app in Orange Squeeze.

Sense is simple. It rewards exploration. I suggest using the forum hive brain to show you how to do stuff that takes seconds of enjoyable exploration whilst simultaneously critiquing something you plainly don’t want to understand is just a tad insulting.

Trying our best here but your approach and reality sea would test the patience of a saint.

Connectivity here means your broadband connection. Beyond that? I give up. You can lead a horse to water but ultimately it needs to choose to sink or swim. Beyond me why anyone would own a superb streamer like the Zenith and not want the best sounding and simplest user experience by learning how to use an excellent ], free and regularly updated app.

advertisement

Back