advertisement

Innuos Sense app and V2.2.0 update

awkwardbydesign

Officially Awesome
I downloaded the Sense app and sofware updates, and I am now struggling with them. So before I contact Innuos maybe some one here can set me on the right path.
I was happy enough using Orange Squeeze to find and play my music. The Sense app doesn't do what I want; no fast scroll through the titles, no play all of an artists albums by holding my finger on their name, no genres, small round album pictures that are hard to read, etc. And adding new music is clunky.
Orange Squeeze will no longer connect with the Innuos IP address( and yes, I have changed it to the new one). I have turned it all on and off, tried both system modes, and so on.
I would happily return to to older version, but have no idea how to do that, or if it is even possible. I don't need great versatility, my FBA needs are quite simple; rip CDs, import music, rename it if needed, play.
Any help appreciated.

Not much help but my experience was that I downloaded and all went haywire at first but it sorted itself out within 30mins.

Now the Orange Squeeze app will play! But I still can't see the new downloads, although they will play if I play the whole Tropical Twista Records folder, and are then visible while it is playing! But not if I just view the folder. Still dislike the new import and renaming method.

Thanks for drawing attention to the update - didn't realise there was one!

Interesting to read that they will be offering Zen Mini owners the chance to upgrade to SSD. Will wait to see the price though... I suspect £500+.

Looks there is another OS update that I missed - 2.2.3 came out 14/10/22.
Yep 2.2.3 is the latest.
It's a shame (as others have mentioned before) that they can't send an alert when new updates are issued.
As far as the app goes I think it's excellent - certainly does everything I need and the integration with Tidal/Qobuz is a big improvement.

Yep 2.2.3 is the latest.
As far as the app goes I think it's excellent - certainly does everything I need and the integration with Tidal/Qobuz is a big improvement.
Unfortunately it DOESN'T do what I want. Fast scroll, find the folders all my music is in, etc. Don't use streaming services. And the new version of the firmware(?) doesn't rip or import in a way that let's me use Orange Squeeze; it just can't see them at all! I must get round to talking to Innuos.

Unfortunately it DOESN'T do what I want. Fast scroll, find the folders all my music is in, etc. Don't use streaming services. And the new version of the firmware(?) doesn't rip or import in a way that let's me use Orange Squeeze; it just can't see them at all! I must get round to talking to Innuos.
I don't really understand - why would you want to use Orange Squeeze?
Surely all your music is on the Innuos hard drive and readily accessible via the Sense App library by Album/Artist etc.

I don't really understand - why would you want to use Orange Squeeze?
Surely all your music is on the Innuos hard drive and readily accessible via the Sense App library by Album/Artist etc.
No, it's not. All my current music is in folders in Orange Squeeze. Arranged by genres, but with Sense I would have to re-catalogue all of it into playlists, rather than genres, and that is over 2000 albums. The fast scroll on OS is easier, and I can hold down an artist's name and play all, in various shuffle modes too. Visually I prefer it also.

With all due respect this is not an Innuos issue and what you’re describing is not the Sense app as I know it. One dues not download or with some updates. The latest version is the latest version. There is only one in any App Store. Other issues?

Firstly if I go to Music and then Albums I can scroll through at any speed I wish. It is by far the least efficient way of finding music but if that’s what you wish to do then it’s there.

Secondly, I can’t imagine what the significance of holding an artists name is in order to play all their albums but that’s hardly onerous in Sense. Search for the artist; a few clicks to create a playlist for all their albums. Alternately favourite their albums and run a Smart Mix of them.

Thirdly, it’s untrue there are no genres. You can add or edit these when you rip and they are there to be searched by in Albums view.

Fourthly, the only remaining small round images are in the Artists view and of artists not albums. I’ve no idea what you’re looking at but it doesn’t sound like Innuos Sense to me at all.

Fifthly, Orange Squeeze is an app. and a pretty average one at that compared to something like Sense. It’s not where your music is stored. Where is your music stored? At this point we’ve no idea. On a PC? On a NS? On an entirely different device? Ripping on an Innuos is so utterly painless I can’t imagine why you would want to involve anything else. Describing it as “clunky” again suggests that whatever you’re looking at it’s not Sense, which is literally Insert disc; select mode and “go”.

@webster I’ve raised the issue about update alerts. Innuos acknowledged it’s a good idea and it will be coming at some point.

Secondly, I can’t imagine what the significance of holding an artists name is in order to play all their albums but that’s hardly onerous in Sense. Search for the artist; a few clicks to create a playlist for all their albums. Alternately favourite their albums and run a Smart Mix of them.

Thirdly, it’s untrue there are no genres. You can add or edit these when you rip and they are there to be searched by in Albums view.

Fourthly, the only remaining small round images are in the Artists view and of artists not albums. I’ve no idea what you’re looking at but it doesn’t sound like Innuos Sense to me at all.

Fifthly, Orange Squeeze is an app. and a pretty average one at that compared to something like Sense. It’s not where your music is stored. Where is your music stored? At this point we’ve no idea. On a PC? On a NS? On an entirely different device? Ripping on an Innuos is so utterly painless I can’t imagine why you would want to involve anything else. Describing it as “clunky” again suggests that whatever you’re looking at it’s not Sense, which is literally Insert disc; select mode and “go”.
I have over 2000 albums. I have no wish to create playlists for all of them, thanks very much.
Adding genres, the same.
Round images; albums.
Music is stored in my Zenith 2.
Ripping is indeed easy. Seeing it in OS is not possible.
You may find Sense suits your usage, I don't.
But this is not really helping me to use it as I wish to, is it?
EDIT. Correction. Round images; artists. But I still can't scroll quickly down the artists list.

Apologies for not being able to post images to assist here but:
  • No-one has suggested you create playlists for all your albums. The rest of us find an album and hit play. It’s not especially taxing.
  • When you rip an album Innuos Sense does exactly as other apps do and uses online databases to add genres. If you agree with the selection you leave it as is. If not then you’ve the option to edit.
  • If your music is on the hard drive of your Zenith 2 you’ve no need of folders. Nor do you need to see them in “the OS”. You see them via the app. Never yet come across an Innuos user who couldn’t do that.
  • I’m looking at 2,640 albums in Album view. All images are square. Number of round images? Zero. In Artists the image is round but it is of the artist. There is nothing which is “hard to read”. I say that as someone registered sight-impaired. If you don’t like the image it takes second to change it for 1 you do.
  • I have 6,449 artists. If I want to scroll them I can do it instantly and incredibly fast. Ludicrously so. If you can’t then that either a fault on your Zenith or more likely a function of ethernet connectivity. Definitely not a Sense app issue. The app can only move as fast as the Zenith hard drive and your connection let it. How big is the HD? How full is the HD?
  • I agree it would actually be quite neat functionality to be able to select an artist and have all their albums play if you had 2 or 3 albums. If you have 20 I can’t see why you wouldn’t just search; select 1 and play.
  • You have the ability to request features from within the app. Innuos are incredibly responsive. I presume you have requested the feature?
  • If you can rip, then the ripped album appears subsequently in the app under New Music, Albums and Artists. Nothing to do with an OS. Your continued reference to an OS is confusing, unhelpful and likely inaccurate. What exactly is it that you mean?
Orange Squeeze functionality is so poor in comparison to Sense I don’t consider there a valid comparison to be made so you’re either trolling, which strikes me as unlikely, or something more fundamental is going on.

I think when the OP refers to 'OS' he's referring to Orange Squeeze rather than (as I first thought) Operating System - maybe he can confirm that?
If that's so then my advice would be to stop trying to use an app that is no longer fit for purpose and embrace and learn how the Sense app works (there's a lot of help online).
IMO it's excellent and I've not for one second missed using Orange Squeeze - it was deleted from my phone and laptop almost immediately.
I tend to use the web browser on my laptop rather the app but as far as I can tell the functionality is identical.
I'll admit that my demands are fairly simple in that I tend to browse through artists and having decided then choose an album which I listen to all the way through - I'm not sure that I've ever felt the need to play a particular artists complete discography but each to their own.Similarly I'm not big on playlists but have created a few just to understand how they function.
The Sense App is a gift in every sense :) of the word - it's free, it's produced a significant uplift in sq, and it's absolutely streets ahead of the 3rd party product that was being used previously.
Innuos are a first class company who produce excellent bits of kit and now have developed their own software to compliment it - a software that continues to be enhanced/improved in line with users feedback - what's not to like?

NB. Like Mike I'm baffled where you are seeing round album images - they are all square. I can only think this is once again coming from Orange Squeeze but I'm not about to reinstall on my phone to find out.
Admittedly the artist images are round but once you've selected an artist a further click will produce a blown up square image.

I suspect what we’re really talking about here is some combination of:

- poor network connectivity including continued use of Orange Squeeze impacting use of Sense over that network.
- possibly an over-stuffed hard drive on the Zenith.
- an obsessed focused mind that struggles to adapt to the idea that there’s more than one way to achieve the same end. The comments about the images and genre are so obviously incorrect that it strikes me that the user has not even explored Sense properly.

On the leap in sound quality alone there’s really only one option here. However, the functionality of Sense makes Orange Squeeze look fairly amateurish so the desire to persist with the latter is very odd indeed. If you’re getting that stressed and agitated because you literally can’t bear to press play thrice to okay three albums by an artist in succession then something is amiss.

@webster you're correct that there is no difference in functionality between the web browser version and the app.

I suspect what we’re really talking about here is some combination of:

- poor network connectivity including continued use of Orange Squeeze impacting use of Sense over that network.
- possibly an over-stuffed hard drive on the Zenith.
- an obsessed focused mind that struggles to adapt to the idea that there’s more than one way to achieve the same end. The comments about the images and genre are so obviously incorrect that it strikes me that the user has not even explored Sense properly.

On the leap in sound quality alone there’s really only one option here. However, the functionality of Sense makes Orange Squeeze look fairly amateurish so the desire to persist with the latter is very odd indeed. If you’re getting that stressed and agitated because you literally can’t bear to press play thrice to okay three albums by an artist in succession then something is amiss.

@webster you're correct that there is no difference in functionality between the web browser version and the app.
I don't think there is a connectivity problem. But I am no expert.
1TD SSD, 68% full.
I don't want more ways to achieve the same ends. I simply want to use OS (yes that is Orange Squeeze) as it suits my needs. Not yours or anyone else's. And Sense won't allow me to do that.
Leap in sound quality?
I have over 30 albums by some artists. Pressing thrice is not what I would have to do! Besides, I sometimes play them all in shuffle mode, how can I do that in Sense?
And as I have keep repeating, I do not want to have to re-categorise over 2000 albums.
I am not stressed and agitated by Sense, although some of the replies here might induce that.
I am "amateurish". And Sense does not help. Nor the replies here, which is disappointing.
There seems to be a lot of (possibly wilful) lack of understanding what I am saying.

Last post, unless someone replies with something actually helpful.
As granny used to say, if you can't explain it so granny can understand it, you don't really understand it.

advertisement

Back