advertisement

Innuos Pulse Mini

I won't be able to use a wired internet connection. If I use a Wi-Fi multiplier or another router and then hardwire innuos, will it work fine?
System dependant, and just what you are doing with said 'Innuos' box.
If you are using a Zen series to just play local stored files, all the WiFi is doing is sending instructions and it can and does work.
If you are using either Zen or Pulse series via this method to stream from the likes of Qobuz, it can and does work, but will be sub optimal - as they explain on their site / web blog.
As for differences with Stored (in the Innuos box) V Streamed, Streamed is actually rather good here, but there are differences to be heard.
Your MMV and can be 'kit dependant' and also what you are looking for musically.
Wired direct ethernet is highly preferable.

System dependant, and just what you are doing with said 'Innuos' box.
If you are using a Zen series to just play local stored files, all the WiFi is doing is sending instructions and it can and does work.
If you are using either Zen or Pulse series via this method to stream from the likes of Qobuz, it can and does work, but will be sub optimal - as they explain on their site / web blog.
As for differences with Stored (in the Innuos box) V Streamed, Streamed is actually rather good here, but there are differences to be heard.
Your MMV and can be 'kit dependant' and also what you are looking for musically.
Wired direct ethernet is highly preferable.
Thanks, will check out Innuos blog

Just to say that I have been using wi-fi via cheap repeater since first obtaining my Zenith and it was lovely. Upgrading to a TP-Link has brought a significant leap but no-one who heard either configuration would ever have described it as sub-optimal. If your broadband is solid then so will your Innuos device be.

I experimented by loosely laying the 40m of ethernet I would otherwise need and leaving it in place for a few weeks. The three people in this household could hear no difference so rather than rip up carpets; carpet dividers and run it through and down walls we’ve stuck with wi-if and have no regrets.

Very occasionally the Sense app will glitch and lose the current album playing page but it is very occasionally and i’ve not lost sleep over it as it seems a price worth paying.

Just to say that I have been using wi-fi via cheap repeater since first obtaining my Zenith and it was lovely. Upgrading to a TP-Link has brought a significant leap but no-one who heard either configuration would ever have described it as sub-optimal. If your broadband is solid then so will your Innuos device be.

I experimented by loosely laying the 40m of ethernet I would otherwise need and leaving it in place for a few weeks. The three people in this household could hear no difference so rather than rip up carpets; carpet dividers and run it through and down walls we’ve stuck with wi-if and have no regrets.

Very occasionally the Sense app will glitch and lose the current album playing page but it is very occasionally and I’ve not lost sleep over it as it seems a price worth paying.
Very helpful, thanks. I have a redundant TP link router that I can use.

It is all zeroes and ones, right? Apologies, it is a bit long explanation leading to the question.
I used to have Naim xs2 with an external power supply a few years back.
I bought Bluesound to use as a source for a DAC.
Out of curiosity I tried rpi streaming but found it got less meat on a bone and was somewhat lean in presentation.
Node was much better, especially with the added power supply.
My Chromebook sounded worse than the node but better than rpi.
I was always sceptical about cables, open-minded about power supplies etc ( my thinking was and is.. I better not spend anything on imaginary results than splash the cash)
Fast forward a few years and I have a new system. I decided to stick with the stock sound for some time just to see if there was any weakness in the current set-up. All pretty much DIY: Wolverine class AB amp, Class A preamplifier, modded old Chinese DAC. Same Chromebooks as a source as before (for now).
Because the amp and pre combo are really impressive and give me the best sound I have had so far, an order of magnitude better than my first DIY Chipamp or Naim- I can live with the quality of the sound for now, even knowing that Chromebook is a subpar source. Somewhat rolled off treble and had a bit of incoherent bass, but it was still good enough to me. Could listen to this unfatiguing sound for hours.
So, just to confirm or disprove my understanding of how things sound- I replaced Chromebook with Raspberry W2 and volumio. Same as two years ago, I did not like how it sounded. At all. Thin bottom, and harsh treble.
After that, I connected my work laptop and it was much better- music plays well across the whole spectrum.
So in theory I am happy with the sound of pc as a streamer.
Question:
So if I am happy with the sound of pc, I can use a Mac mini or Nuc and be done with it. And if comparing Mac vs streamer, say Innuos - how much better (or not better at all) is the sound of a dedicated streamer?

Lots of people use a Mac Mini with great results. You sound very tech savvy so no reason not to give it a whirl.

I have an Innuos Zen Mini as I didn’t want a computer & liked the idea of ripping all my CDs. I now listen to a mix of streams & rips; it just works wonderfully.

Spend money on speakers is my advice.

advertisement

Back