advertisement

Innuos Pulse Mini

So, IMO if you have a modern, jitter rejecting, data reclocking dac all streamers should sound the same through it . So, the reason for buying a higher quality streamer would be build quality or usability or features.
I've had a few streamers here ranging from the Chromecast Music, to Primare to Bluesound Node 130. In the end. They all sounded identical through the same dac.
While you didn’t just express an opinion, you reported an actual experience (hats off to you: it will never catch on!), my experience differs markedly from yours. As does my theory actually.

I went from stock Bluesound Node 2i to a “pimped” one with a Sean Jacobs linear psu; massive improvement in sound quality. After a while I added a Mutec MC-3 reclocker and that was less of an improvement but still an easily demonstrated one. Fast forward and I bought a Pulse Mini with matching Zen LPSU; a clear step up even from my by then maxi-pimped Node. I now enjoy fewer boxes, improved sound quality and the Sense app is every bit as good as BluOS.
I was so impressed I did a similar dump-and-simplify in my Kendal gaff but this time with a Zen Mini so I could have my whole CD collection there as well. Let joy be unbounded.

Icing on the cake is that within the last 48 hours here at the Munich show I’ve met and enjoyed a conversation with Innuos head honcho Nuno who is the sort of humble yet successful guy you wish the world had more of. Colour me a fanboy then.

You should get a streamer based on features and UI. You could in principle get this by paying (perhaps for roon). But generally the answer to the question is more likely no than yes. Unless by “sense” you mean “audiophile nonsense”, of course.
Features and UI but not sound quality? It’s an opinion, I guess.

While you didn’t just express an opinion, you reported an actual experience (hats off to you: it will never catch on!), my experience differs markedly from yours. As does my theory actually.

I went from stock Bluesound Node 2i to a “pimped” one with a Sean Jacobs linear psu; massive improvement in sound quality. After a while I added a Mutec MC-3 reclocker and that was less of an improvement but still an easily demonstrated one. Fast forward and I bought a Pulse Mini with matching Zen LPSU; a clear step up even from my by then maxi-pimped Node. I now enjoy fewer boxes, improved sound quality and the Sense app is every bit as good as BluOS.
I was so impressed I did a similar dump-and-simplify in my Kendal gaff but this time with a Zen Mini so I could have my whole CD collection there as well. Let joy be unbounded.

Icing on the cake is that within the last 48 hours here at the Munich show I’ve met and enjoyed a conversation with Innuos head honcho Nuno who is the sort of humble yet successful guy you wish the world had more of. Colour me a fanboy then.
Fair play.i acknowledge your experience and Id never tell someone what they heard or didn't. But, with respect, colour me sceptical until mine own ears share said experience. I'm very open minded so I look forward to it.

The sound quality will be determined by the (internal or external) dac obvs. Ca va sans dire.
Writing "obvs" and "Ça va sans dire" doesn't make it anything more than your opinion. A wrong one IME.

If one compares a Chromecast Audio used as a streamer into an external DAC via optical to a decent streamer such as a Bluesound Node into the same external DAC via optical the SQ differences are very obvious IMO.

Hi all.
I am trying to figure out the best way forward with streaming.
Looks like it is an even more contentious topic than DACs.
For those who researched the market and considered Innuos at some point, what lessons learned can you share and if it makes sense even try to buy a streamer more expensive than say Wiim?
Thanks
I see streamers as up-gradable throwaway like laptops and phones.

A simple wiim mini as a transport and a smsl su1 dac suffices,for peanuts all from amazon.about £165 all in....

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiim-mini-review-streamer.33099/

Came up against a expensive streamer and dac set up of a friends and he was shocked how close it was.

Personally think there are not huge differences in some cases,just in the price....

I see streamers as up-gradable throwaway like laptops and phones.

A simple wiim mini as a transport and a smsl su1 dac suffices,for peanuts all from amazon.about £165 all in....

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiim-mini-review-streamer.33099/

Came up against a expensive streamer and dac set up of a friends and he was shocked how close it was.

Personally think there are not huge differences in some cases,just in the price....
You might see if like that. Most don’t. Posting a link to the beyond parody site not helping your cause there and let’s face it, it is a cause. Can bargains be had in hi-fi? Of course.Are they around every corner lurking of only people just weren’t so stupid? Don’t think so. Generally you get what you pay for. There’s a certain sort of person though who insists that manufacturers are engaged in some kind of conspiracy to sell us stuff that anyone could just build at home.That nothing special was involved. Sometimes true. Overwhelmingly not.

The Wiim streamer/DACs are superb VFM.

But, the better the system you place them in, in any capacity, the more their shortcomings may irk you. In part that depends on what you are using them for: full source; background music; test a potential music purchase.

I took them round to a friend who has a £300 system, he loved them and bought one.

The better your system, and the more central the usage, then I would advise auditioning properly.

M

You might see if like that. Most don’t. Posting a link to the beyond parody site not helping your cause there and let’s face it, it is a cause. Can bargains be had in hi-fi? Of course.Are they around every corner lurking of only people just weren’t so stupid? Don’t think so. Generally you get what you pay for. There’s a certain sort of person though who insists that manufacturers are engaged in some kind of conspiracy to sell us stuff that anyone could just build at home.That nothing special was involved. Sometimes true. Overwhelmingly not.

You are entitled to your opinion....

As for bashing a forum which may help people gain some knowledge, i disagree...

And also speaking for most people........hmmmm

Suns shining,grab another coffee and have a marvelous day!

Last edited:
My streaming set up was tried on a friends rather expensive naim set up.

Streamer and dac......

Was expecting him to notice the sonic differences more,he was shocked that it was not a bigger gap.

I run active ns1000 and quad qsp and tricord alectos and cannot hear any limitations.

Have another system and various speakers with the same set up sounds superb,maybe my hearings on the way out......
I have this feeling that modest set up like a Wim/Dac would sound great plugged in to pretty much all good gear. Putting something higher end like a DCS into a more modest system? I’m not so sure.

I think that in this discussion it's important to consider that one man's night and day differences can be another man's slight differences.
I think that a Chromecast Audio is incredible value for money. And I understand that someone may think that used simply as a streamer into an external DAC it's not very different from, say, an Innuos Zenith. Many factors can explain such opinions.
But this is very different from saying that all streamers sound the same if plugged into the same external DAC.

As for bashing a forum which may help people a little and gain some knowledge, i disagree...

And then there’s the kind of person who pretends they didn’t say something which most people actually do disagree with but, when challenged on that, decides that it’s not so important and that they don’t really struggle with people disagreeing with them.

Let‘s recall that you’re the person who claimed little difference in any instance. Doubt you’ll find any evidence you’re in the “most” group on that.

Even leaving to one side the issue of whether a digital transport has a sound…

the main point is that
-if one were to choose a system with the desired UI and features one could then, if one’s belief system required “upgrade” it with artisanal power supplies, re clocking devices, rare metal cables or fuses, rubbery or spiky feet etc until it gently eases out bits worthy of a man of taste and distinction (as well as combining it with any dac) but
-but you will likely not be able to upgrade the features and UI of a proprietary closed operating system from a hifi manufacturer
So…..

Last edited:
My personal experience with Bluesound was simple. Two years ago I had Naim xs2 and oldish Chinese dac from 2012. After upgrading the power supply (and not expecting much) I heard the instant improvement. Darker background etc.
I spent a year building my DIY system (after selling Naim and Node) and albeit still using my old DAC, I have a fairly resolving system.
This is why I consider Innuos. Another advantage is that it has DAC which will be interesting to compare to my existing one.
I understand that upgrading DAC (either something from Chord or Cyan 2) probably would make more sense, but I choose usability over sound quality, as my new system is impressive enough to enjoy everything as is for a while.
With better UI from Innuos.
Thanks for the responses

The only bummer here is that I have all my gear in silver. The Mini is only in black.
I see zen mk3 is available on ebay, in silver.
Is there any difference in sound quality between pulse mini and zen ? I read somewhere is that pulse mini is newer platform hence better.

The only bummer here is that I have all my gear in silver. The Mini is only in black.
Is there any difference in sound quality between pulse mini and zen ? I read somewhere is that pulse mini is newer platform hence better.
Zen is probably better than Zen Mini with LPS but it could be marginal.

In terms of the platform, when I enquired about that sort of thing with them a little while back, Innuos themselves were helpful, so could be worth just asking them direct - [email protected]

Just for some clarity here - the new 'Pulse' range is primarily aimed at streaming from the internet, to which *can* be added an external drive via USB or a shared forlder via ethernet. These are using a new platform for PSU.

The 'Zen' series are primarily aimed at being a music server for your own ripped or purchased music files, but can also accept streamed music from the likes of Qobuz.

The Zen series will continue, but two new offerings are emerging (Q3 ish) the 'NG series' which will have the newer PSU based around the Pulse / Pulsar range.

As for bashing a forum which may help people gain some knowledge, i disagree...

While you're obviously entitled to disagree, that's another forum and you're currently posting on this one... I'm sure that if people want to "gain some knowledge" they can find the forum to which you refer. Obviously far better than this one where we gain no knowledge at all! :)

Just for some clarity here - the new 'Pulse' range is primarily aimed at streaming from the internet, to which *can* be added an external drive via USB or a shared forlder via ethernet. These are using a new platform for PSU.

The 'Zen' series are primarily aimed at being a music server for your own ripped or purchased music files, but can also accept streamed music from the likes of Qobuz.

The Zen series will continue, but two new offerings are emerging (Q3 ish) the 'NG series' which will have the newer PSU based around the Pulse / Pulsar range.
The two new NG offerings very much emerged at Munich! I'm not sure that equates to commercially available yet but they're definitely not being shy.

advertisement

Back