advertisement

Innuos Pulse Mini

voxx

pfm Member
Hi all.
I am trying to figure out the best way forward with streaming.
Looks like it is an even more contentious topic than DACs.
For those who researched the market and considered Innuos at some point, what lessons learned can you share and if it makes sense even try to buy a streamer more expensive than say Wiim?
Thanks

If you are just streaming then the Pulse Mini looks a nice option but on the expensive side given the options available. If you are streaming but also have, for example, local CD rips you want to play from a NAS or elsewhere or want a device that will help you rip them then look at the Zen Mini rather than the Pulse Mini.

Regardless, I will second @Juancho in saying that the support is superb and the app is pretty much the best out there.

Thanks. Streaming only for now, however, would not mind having a library of high-rez. Will check out the zen as well in this case.

Hi
I’ve had mine for 4weeks now. Love it.
Great sound. Great app
None of the fancy bouncing needles, no artwork to small to see from sitting down position, no massive setup pages, no wifi.
Just a black box that streams superb.
Happy days.
Have you used the internal Dac or as a streamer only ? I hear the Zen mini with the lps sounds great.

I use as streamer only. Pulse mini into teddy pardo vc dac, out to mb100 mono amps, out to neat motive2 speakers. I will buy better speakers before getting a lps.
Nas and qobuz for playback.

I have had a Pulse Mini for nearly a year now. Purchased it with a Zen Mini LPSU so have never tried it with the supplied power supply so can't say how it sounds in that configuration. I have not had many streamers pass through my hands but I do have a Bluesound Node 2i and in my opinion the Pulse Mini is a clear upgrade.

I also have a Zen Mk3 in my main system for which I have had a number of years, before the Sense App was introduced. Since its introduction the Sense App has been updated regularly and continues to be improved with updates and is a nice interface to use. I generally only use it for streaming Qobuz.

The onboard DAC on the Pulse Mini is good, a smooth, full bodied and non analytical sound. Works great as a transport too if you already have a DAC to partner it with.

I echo what cooky said with regards to its unassuming looks. I personally don't like fancy displays, I find it a distraction, prefer to have the album art etc. on the app I am using to control the device. The Pulse Mini just has a subtle white light to show its on, that's it.

No regrets with my purchase, overall a great bit of kit with the option of the LPSU upgrade later down the line if you decide to.

Hi all.
For those who researched the market and considered Innuos at some point, what lessons learned can you share and if it makes sense even try to buy a streamer more expensive than say Wiim?
Thanks
So, IMO if you have a modern, jitter rejecting, data reclocking dac all streamers should sound the same through it . So, the reason for buying a higher quality streamer would be build quality or usability or features.
I've had a few streamers here ranging from the Chromecast Music, to Primare to Bluesound Node 130. In the end. They all sounded identical through the same dac.

So, IMO if you have a modern, jitter rejecting, data reclocking dac all streamers should sound the same through it . So, the reason for buying a higher quality streamer would be build quality or usability or features.
I've had a few streamers here ranging from the Chromecast Music, to Primare to Bluesound Node 130. In the end. They all sounded identical through the same dac.
Ha, ha. Popcorn at the ready. I think you are probably more right than wrong. I don’t feel a massive need to upgrade from my Zen Mini, just sounds incredible.

That’s an argument looking for an empty room on a different thread. I doubt it’s of either interest or relevance to the OP.

Hi all.
Thanks
You should get a streamer based on features and UI. You could in principle get this by paying (perhaps for roon). But generally the answer to the question is more likely no than yes. Unless by “sense” you mean “audiophile nonsense”, of course.

I am clearly stuffed to the gills with audiophile nonsense and my DAC is a poorly designed piece of crap, but I noticed clear differences between streaming solutions that I tried in my system, and specifically the benefits of paying close attention to power supplies - I have the original Auralic Aries G1 (one for sale at Elite for £895 btw) - I fitted the Hoere Wege power supply, and I am very happy with the results, and I think the app is excellent

I did spend a great deal of time (and as little money as I could) trying to match the sound from my transport (a PSAudio PWT) into the same DAC - once I was (finally) happy that they were on a par, I left well alone - getting the best from streaming is an annoying and often counter-intuitive process, and I thought vinyl was a faff! YMMV and people's will, given the combative tone of some of the responses you have had so far

I am clearly stuffed to the gills with audiophile nonsense and my DAC is a poorly designed piece of crap, but I noticed clear differences between streaming solutions that I tried in my system, and specifically the benefits of paying close attention to power supplies - I have the original Auralic Aries G1 (one for sale at Elite for £895 btw) - I fitted the Hoere Wege power supply, and I am very happy with the results, and I think the app is excellent

I did spend a great deal of time (and as little money as I could) trying to match the sound from my transport (a PSAudio PWT) into the same DAC - once I was (finally) happy that they were on a par, I left well alone - getting the best from streaming is an annoying and often counter-intuitive process, and I thought vinyl was a faff! YMMV and people's will, given the combative tone of some of the responses you have had so far
You’re at risk of feeding our troll :)

There are definite subjects that trigger a bun fight on pfm at the moment.

FWIW and IMHO with the usual YMMV - I found that an Auralic Aries (Mini/Femto/G2) and an Allo DigiOne Sig brought worthwhile differences/changes/what I deemed to be improvements used into various Streamer/DACs and DACs. I found a LPSU made a positive difference to the Mini analogue out but not the digital and the Allo power supplies (Nirvana and Shanti) improved the DigiOne and were about on a par. Others have different opinions/views.

advertisement

Back