advertisement

Inexpensive but good interconnect/rca cables

Van Damme Blue.

Edge Interconnects.

Both around £20ish ( depending on length) Available on a well known auction site.

Having tried out quite a few of the usual suspects (Van Damme, Klotz, Mogami, Sommer, etc) with a range of simple to esoteric plugs, I've come to the conclusion that pretty much any decently made interconnect is fine by me ... including humble Belkin and Fisual cheapies.

One thing I do avoid at all costs are the insanely thick microphone cable types or heavily sheathed madness that seems to be the fashion with some - totally inflexible in use and a bugger to fit into a plug.

The only reason I don't use 'freebies' any more is that I've had a few where the plugs fell off after fairly moderate use .... 'nuff said.

My supply of Klotz AC110 has almost run out, and will likely try something different when I buy more, but have been very happy with the cables I made with them.

i purchased a pair of Rega Couple 2 in 2017 for about $100, now the price has double and i need a new pair, whats up?
did they introduce a new model?

What tony said: It really is good to make your own. You can use decent plugs, and good cable from Mogami or Van Damme. Make them just the right length. It's very satisfying too.

Hello there,
sorry, what is your opinion regarding the best inexpensive interconnect rca cables ?

Klotz AC 110;
Van Damme LC-OFC;
Mogami 2549;
Belden 1505F;
Blue Jeans LC1;
Canare Starquad
and others.

Any experience?

Cheers
Mauro
I can recommend secondhand audioquest cables..I use ruby and quartz interconnects and find them very good..

Just buy any old shite. Bodge it together yourself if you fancy. Use a hair drier instead off a soldering iron. Go nuts.

All streamers are the same. Expensive DACs are a waste of money. Pre-amps are a waste of time with digital systems. DSP makes everything else irrelevant. Most amps sound the same. The technology hasn’t moved forward since the ‘50’s. Everything relevant is known and can be measured. Post graphs and diagrams to prove it.

The only big differentiator are speakers. Buy the best you can and stick any old rubbish in front of them.

in the past i have made my own using occ copper and also silver,it drove me nuts but in an enjoyable way.
these days i use this, http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=181849468548
with kle plugs.
ive not felt the need to try anything else since.

Your link does not show the cable you are using for me.

You could also look at this cable MPS M-75 Ohno Continuous Cast 75ohm Digital Cable for Hi-Fi Audio Digital Source | eBay
or this Xangsane SP 8001Cu Rectangular OCC Copper Conductor High Density Shielding HIFI Audio Signal Bulk cable diy RCA audio cables| | - AliExpress
and use with these RCA plugs (gold plated) and reduced in the Black Friday sale MPS Pioneer 8G/10G/11G/8R/10R/11R Connector HiFi RCA Repair Plug Audio Jack Gold Plated Rhodium Plated Plugs For 8MM/10MM Cable|Amplifier| - AliExpress

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Blue Jeans LC1 is £42.75 on Amazon.

Anyone tried the Amazon Basic?

I've seen some reports that Amazon Basic cables are now being made in some cases with copper plated aluminium, not something I experienced though. My favourite cables at the moment are some cabletalk monitor 3's - £25 for a metre pair - off eBay. I found Klotz to be very good (had a pair with a complete system I bought a few years back), got a pair of van damme here that I bought to try, overall I prefer the Mogami for the homebrew stuff.

I did try a pair of EWA's starting point cables recently - after the burn-in, I found them to be rather nice.

For basic/self made cables I use Neutrik plugs, the Pro-Fi are my fave for RCA with Klotz AC110 or MC5000 cable. For a TT phono to phono lead I used lo-cap Van Damme. Bought from Studiocare and StudioSpares. Both places offer pre made pairs around the £30 mark. You can get heat-shrink off eBay to colour code and tidy up cables if you use plain plugs, a box of various short tubes and different diameters is cheap as. Handy making your own cables if you want unusual lengths, if it’s a one off not worth gearing up with the bits n pieces, a decent soldering iron is a few bob p, but once you have it all you’re free to make stuff as and when you want, it’s a good feeling making a pro looking set of matched cables. Easy to make your own speaker cables to match in too.

Loads of bargains used for last years high end cables and you’ll shift on for little/no loss generally. Tellurium and Chord seem to move on easily. In my main rig I at present have Atlas, not cheap and law of diminishing returns applies.

My wifes hairdryer is actually more powerful than my soldering iron :)

advertisement

Back