advertisement

induction hobs

Neil P

pfm Member
I had to replace an expensive induction hob at short notice due to an accident, so ended up with a very cheap one. This new hob has a strange habit of turning the heat on and off ... e.g. for a pan of pasta it bubbles for 1 second, stops for 1 second, bubbles for 1 second, etc etc. I think it is faulty, and suspect the food is taking longer to cook, but the manufacturer* claims it is expected behaviour. I want to return it as not fit for purpose, but the retailer will apply 30% restocking fee unless it is faulty.

Is this really how some induction hobs behave?

*A person in a contact centre who probably has to respond to calls re 1000+ products across multiple brands.

Does the number on the hob ring change or stay constant?

Never come across this on my hob. It's just sensitive to water - that turns it off. But that's different I think.

I can hear my induction hob "pulsing" - making a buzzing sound, at the higher power levels. Heat seems to remain constant though.

AEG here too. Mine goes up to 9 and then P is max. I had a cheaper NEFF brand before which was a bit quieter. The AEG's hotplate suits my pans better. I have lived with all the different hobs/cooker tops and find induction the best by far. Just had to invest in new pots though...

That is how my Miele works. At lower settings it puts spurts of power into pans. Yours doesn't sound faulty, just cheap.

Hmm, my suspicion also! In simplistic (and no doubt inaccurate!) terms, it's a bit like a volume dial with off/quiet/loud, versus an Alps pot!

Hmm, my suspicion also! In simplistic (and no doubt inaccurate!) terms, it's a bit like a volume dial with off/quiet/loud, versus an Alps pot!
It's like a volume control that gives you part music, part silence, and the length of the intervals of music or silence is dictated by the volume setting.

I suspect this pulsing is normal behaviour. It is certainly how ceramic hobs work. I have a Siemens induction hob and occasionally I can hear a pulsing but much higher frequency than you are hearing.

As for the speed of cooking, induction "rings" come in different power ratings. If your new one is less expensive then the ring may be a lower power rating.

I wouldn't really want to go back to even a standard ceramic hob now. Induction is so controllable and spills don't really burn on the surface.

As for the call centre agent, I expect that they have a comprehensive FAQ list for every one of companies models.

We have a cheapo Robert Dyas induction hob and at power levels below 1kW it pulses rather than sets a constant power as well. I suspect more money gets you more sophisticated power control.

Cheap ones tend to pulse more and tend to struggle with more than two rings on as my daughter is finding out. Basically you get what you pay for.

AEG here.
No pulsing as far as I can make out.

Also bought a set of these to protect the rings. Work brilliantly and the hob is unmarked.

Did you read the instructions which came with the hob?
I have a couple of ' cheap ' induction hobs and the Tefal one is by far the best!

Our induction hob, also inexpensive, 'pulses' all the time on low settings. The pulses increase in frequency when at higher settings, and don't at all when set to maximum. We've had this kitchen for eight or nine years now and this behaviour hasn't proved to be a problem. Although I appreciate how it might be annoying/concerning if not used to it. @Neil P - if yours does the same, I would suggest you're all good.

John

This sounds just like simmerstat control.

I doubt the OP's unit is faulty. Trying to prove not fit for purpose would be futile, imo.

Perhaps take the restocking fee on the chin and swap for a better quality unit?

Thanks everyone .... i have to decide now whether to trade in the cheap one (taking a hit financialyl) get a better one.
This sounds just like simmerstat control.

I doubt the OP's unit is faulty. Trying to prove not fit for purpose would be futile, imo.

Perhaps take the restocking fee on the chin and swap for a better quality unit?

Yeah I think I will! :)

advertisement

Back