advertisement

induction hobs

We’ve had three induction hobs, one Hotpoint and two Samsung, two of them died within a couple of years, the latest samsung seems okay but I’ve never experienced the pulsing thing with any of the hobs going back to 2011 when the Hotpoint one was first installed however we do get pulsing when the pot doesn’t connect to the hob ring properly, usually that happens with a Moka pot which is tiny relative to the smallest hob ring.

Might be your pots that’s the issue OP.

Good afternoon all,

Our 22yr old induction, De Dietrich, hob pulses at settings below 5, it is a PITA when you are running off batteries and an inverter as they struggle to understand what is happening........

Regards

Richard

We’ve had three induction hobs, one Hotpoint and two Samsung, two of them died within a couple of years, the latest samsung seems okay but I’ve never experienced the pulsing thing with any of the hobs going back to 2011 when the Hotpoint one was first installed however we do get pulsing when the pot doesn’t connect to the hob ring properly, usually that happens with a Moka pot which is tiny relative to the smallest hob ring.

Might be your pots that’s the issue OP.
It's not the size with the moka pot, it's because it's made of aluminium and aluminium won't work on an induction hob. Big aluminium pans don't work either. Put it on a steel or better cast iron disc on the hob and it will work. You can get these specifically foir this task.
Here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35500897...pid=5338728743&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
It's not the size with the moka pot, it's because it's made of aluminium and aluminium won't work on an induction hob. Big aluminium pans don't work either. Put it on a steel or better cast iron disc on the hob and it will work. You can get these specifically foir this task.
No it’s an induction moka pot I’m not that stupid Steve :rolleyes:

I‘ve had induction hobs for 13 years I think I know by now what bleeding pots and pans to use, honestly this effin forum is shite at times no wonder I’ve basically stopped posting here.

No it’s an induction moka pot I’m not that stupid Steve :rolleyes:
Yeah, sorry, I forgot who I was talking to for a minute. You're into heating though, when I had my new boiler and a wireless thermostat the gas fitter told me that he gets any number of calls from people with a new thermostat, they pick it up and sit down with it in their lap, then they wonder why the room is cold but the heating still won't come on, even with a set point of 21 or better.
Not everybody knows that ally pans don't get hot on induction hobs. Then again not everyone knows that putting a thermostat in your lap will give you a bad indication of how warm the room is.

Neff 4 'ring' hob.
Pulses at low temps. Two hobs on P will cause one to drop back to 9.. but P is only needed for rapid heating or boiling. Good pans cannot survive sustained operation on P, except if boiling, which is unnecessary anyway as no matter how 'fast' the boil you won't get above 100C.
I suppose the Neff is mid price but it outperforms ceramic etc by a country mile.

Our Seimens induction hob's 10 years old & still going strong (famous last words…). You can hear it quietly pulsing on certain settings.

I can't find these Alps pots in my local Kitchens. Do they really make the food taste better, flavours more lively and never get greasy? I had one in a preamplifer but it didn't taste nice and was too crunchy.

And should I be looking to upgrade the cable from the distribution board to the hob to Nordost or Furutech?

I can't find these Alps pots in my local Kitchens. Do they really make the food taste better, flavours more lively and never get greasy? I had one in a preamplifer but it didn't taste nice and was too crunchy.

And should I be looking to upgrade the cable from the distribution board to the hob to Nordost or Furutech?
If you're not already using Nordost or Furutech you're a fool. If your food doesn't taste better with them in place then the rest of your cooking equipment isn't revealing enough or you just don't know how to taste.

If you're not already using Nordost or Furutech you're a fool. If your food doesn't taste better with them in place then the rest of your cooking equipment isn't revealing enough or you just don't know how to taste.

I've just changed the power cable to the hob, and there is now more space between the veg, and the spuds are more three dimensional

We've had induction for 28 years now and wouldn't use anything else. Brands have included Scholtès, Miele, Electrolux/AEG, De Dietrich. The Miele was the worst (temperamental controls, had a habit of just switching off). They have all had this pulsating method of regulation. On the old ones, it happened mostly on low power settings or when you were using boost on one of the rings. On the newer ones, it seems to happen on a wider part of the power range. Our latest (mid-range Electrolux) has a dual power supply (2 x 16A) so I can use max power on two rings at once. Despite this, there is still a lot of clicking going on, but this doesn't affect the rate of boil in any visible way. It's just the way these things regulate power.

To the OP: the hob behaviour you describe doesn't sound acceptable. Does this happen when your pan with the pasta is on full power (not boost) with other rings active? If so, are the other rings on a higher power setting? Usually, the regulation should be in favour of the ring with the highest power setting, and assuming you boil your pasta vigorously that should be getting priority.

+1 for the pezetti moka pot - very happy with mine on the induction hob. Now if I could only get all the "hotplates" to see my favourite Stella pot...

We had to get new pans when we bought our flat with an induction hob already fitted.

Ten years later the ultra-cheapo Ikea pans are still going strong.
The cheap ones are generally better on induction because the magnetic grades of stainless (like 304, for example) are cheaper than the non magnetic ones. Non magnetic ones are generally brighter and more corrosion resistant, but wont work on induction.
Me? I like gas, but the current house has an electric cooker and I don't think a gas supply to the cooker point.

I had to replace an expensive induction hob at short notice due to an accident, so ended up with a very cheap one. This new hob has a strange habit of turning the heat on and off ... e.g. for a pan of pasta it bubbles for 1 second, stops for 1 second, bubbles for 1 second, etc etc. I think it is faulty, and suspect the food is taking longer to cook, but the manufacturer* claims it is expected behaviour. I want to return it as not fit for purpose, but the retailer will apply 30% restocking fee unless it is faulty.

Is this really how some induction hobs behave?

*A person in a contact centre who probably has to respond to calls re 1000+ products across multiple brands.

Have you got a link to it?

advertisement

Back