advertisement

In search of "snake oil" - who was it recommended blue paper squares?

I had a little jar of his 'cream electret' balm, gave it away with a Radford amp I should never have sold!

I believe it's still available - the balm, not the Radford!

I remember putting silver triangles on my windows and off to the sides of the speakers to do... something...

Made zero difference and I’m glad to say that I didn’t buy into it then, and never did. This is how cults start!

You need to look at metal horn shaped objects placed in between the speakers... That’s a good one on paper - but I can actually see ‘why’ it works...

Go on,... off down the rabbit hole you go....

Review - https://highendnovum.de/testberichte/stereophile_en.pdf

Product page -
http://highendnovum.de/en/home-en/

Grunty,

You never play a frozen CD. One CD is frozen to align the quantum signatures of the untreated discs that you do play.

I think some people got this wrong, so that might explain why it didn’t work for them.

Joe
Joe, do the frozen CDs need to be kept anywhere near the ambient temperature ones? Do you think there might be some mileage in suggesting folk might buy three copies of a CD and you and I could keep one each for them in our freezers for a nominal annual fee? The fact they would be on opposite sides of the Atlantic would definitely be good for the entanglement, or something equally plausible.

Snake oil? What about the difference in cost between a low end and high end cart? Does a few thousand quid reflect such a difference in value?

Cue the sound of a nerve being struck by the tip of an exotic multi-faceted nude diamond stylus that has been lovingly inserted into an exotic alloy pipe cantilever by an octogenarian descendant of Samurai, using little more than tweezers and a tiny round pair of spectacles that are shared with his loving spouse, 5 years his senior (she'd have to be, a younger woman would have fecked off decades ago).

Marchy,

Joe, do the frozen CDs need to be kept anywhere near the ambient temperature ones? Do you think there might be some mileage in suggesting folk might buy three copies of a CD and you and I could keep one each for them in our freezers for a nominal annual fee? The fact they would be on opposite sides of the Atlantic would definitely be good for the entanglement, or something equally plausible.

Yes, and for greatest effect the triangle formed by the three CDs would need to be aligned with the Bermuda triangle.

bermuda-triangle-1200.jpg

Joe

I was there briefly. A believer friend put me onto Belt. Skeptical I was, but I thought I'd give one of his products a try anyway.
I had a Belt phase back when it was almost entirely consuming the content of Hi-Fi Answers and Jimmy Hughes.
Little stick on triangles on my Ittok tube, ''polarised' spiratube wrapped around the house mains cabling, some sort of oil you rubbed onto the label side of a CD, Oh and stickers for the record label.

I thought it all made a difference....

I lived with my Grandfather at the time, a forthright and direct man, who thought I'd lost my marbles and said so.
A housemate told me exactly the same as your grandfather. Another, who was also into hi-fi, suggested we do a statistically designed blind test with me as the subject. Treated and non-treated CDs were swapped around. I could hear the difference easily! - until the results proved otherwise. And that was the end of that.

Little piles of coins on top of your speakers. Fairly cheap, depending on the coins used. Doesn't work well with Arcs though

Snake oil? What about the difference in cost between a low end and high end cart? Does a few thousand quid reflect such a difference in value?

Exactly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Who am I to tell anyone that they can't enjoy a Rolex (less accurate than a phone's clock), a Michelin starred restaurant (not necessarily more nutritious than a much cheaper meal) or a fancy car (won't get you anywhere quicker than a cheap one, lawfully)? If some one is happy with their Shakti discs, Belt mods or enjoys sitting on a spike whilst they listen, that's up to them. I'm not their keeper and where someone feels diminishing returns set in is heavily influenced by their own view of money and how much they have of it.

Not 'gone' exactly, more likely, waiting patiently for the Foo Renaissance to fully kick in, post the recent rising of Fuseism.

When I was researching some PWB speakers, I contacted them and had a comprehensive reply from
Peter Belt’s widow May.
She had looked in the files for info. and it helped a great deal.
They were the NS2 model, which had been modified.
Sounded quite good, better than I expected.

advertisement

Back