advertisement

In search of "snake oil" - who was it recommended blue paper squares?

GruntPuppy

pfm Member
I'm wanting to revisit some of my favourite off-the-wall products and theories, I can't remember the site of the chap who recommended putting squares of blue paper under audio equipment to improve it. I can't remember his name either :( and as all my links are on my old (now dead) laptop, I can't get back to it that way.

Can anyone point me of the direction of this chap and his site? Also, any other recommendations for snake oil sites/products would be very much appreciated.

Methinks this is the late Belt-like stuff.
Amusing at best, like green spots on tweeters.

Almost certainly Peter Belt. I remember some magic foil triangles given away with Hi-Fi Review in the ‘80s. I dutifully stuck them to my Xerxes (maybe it was their weight that made the top-plate sag?). I couldn’t hear any difference, but didn’t take them off again just in case I’d missed it! They were on it until I later swapped-out the deck. There was also stuff to do with putting a bit of paper under one of the feet on any four-legged kit. I even remember a report on Granada Reports or whatever program when Fred The Paedophile Weatherman tried them in his (Quad IIRC) system.

He had some thought provoking ideas, certainly. In some ways, you could see him as batting for the objectivist side, in pointing out how perception could be affected by something which is somewhat unlikely to cause the perceived effect. He's certainly become a useful weapon in the objectivist armoury, whether he intended it or not.

He was definitely on to something. If you can't change the soundfield for the better, then change the listener's response to it psychologically. I am intrigued by the 8 Hz EM field generators.

He also advocated using a felt pen to colour one end of mains fuses purple. Pretty funny, but I remember buying an amplifier and finding a purple end on the fuse!
Yep, remember that one. Paul Benson, 1990 Hi-Fi Review.
Article in front of me!

The best treat that you can give your hi-fi is to buy some records or CD's and the odd bit of sensible maintenance.

synergisticresearch.com seem to be on the foo track...

That said, I'd buy one of their vibratrons in gold as a piece of art.

Geoff Kait and his Machina Dynamica are very much in Belt territory too. I always struggle to remember which one of them said what nonsense.
Synergistic Research is kind of the same thing but much more expensive and dressed up in more "quantum" mumbo-jumbo.

advertisement

Back