Pioneer 7100 tuner
Teac A-3300SX RtoR.
Pair of Leak Troughline Stereos,
Harman Kardan Citation 12 power amp
Nac 42 ( does that count? )
Kef Ref 105s
TDL Studio 4s
IMF Pro Monitor 3s

A good friend of mine had a Pioneer SA 9800 many years ago. He drove a pair of IMFs with it in a small living room and I remember my trouser legs used to flap to a certain Be Bop Deluxe track LOL.

I just love the old stuff too and can add to the list;

A good friend of mine had a Pioneer SA 9800 many years ago. He drove a pair of IMFs with it in a small living room and I remember my trouser legs used to flap to a certain Be Bop Deluxe track LOL.

I have my Pioneer SA-9800 connected to an old pair of B&W DM2 transmission speakers ....

many who have heard this combo have been astounded at the clarity, soundstage and excellent bass ....

however, I am still trying to save up for a pair of IMF TLS80 speakers ... owned a pair several years ago and was forced to sell them :mad:

The front end of my friends system was a Thorens TD125 with SME 3, the bendy titanium thing, fitted with a Shure V15III. He used the Pioneer's onboard phono stage too and I never forgot how good it sounded.
When I first got married and I was waiting to move into our first home we stayed with him and his wife for a few months. I was working shifts so when everyone was out I used to stick that Be Bep Deluxe album on and turn up the wick. Bloody fantastic :D
Keep on saving Dim, it'll be worth it ;)

Although things have changed a bit recently I spent a long time with a system that was almost entirely 40 years old and sounded wonderful, the essentials being Garrard 401, Leak Stereo 20 and ESL-57s. I'm not aware of a really good vintage preamp, though, and I was using a modern tonearm.

....When I first got married and I was waiting to move into our first home we stayed with him and his wife for a few months. I was working shifts so when everyone was out I used to stick that Be Bep Deluxe album on and turn up the wick. Bloody fantastic :D

...reminds me of those days when waiting for our landlady leaving for shopping just to give it full throttle:) I'll keep all that gear from the 70's: a Micro Seiki 'DD24' semi-automatic turntable and a 'Sonab 4000 Receiver' plus the bass reflex boxes until I have to attend the home for the aged for 2 reasons: 1.) it will be easier to be set up than my lp12...2.) it'll be working after being thrown out of the window by a frustrated room mate and even if it doesn't the design will still look alright...

I"m now running my 252 into the Marantz PM-94, and first impressions are very favourable.

The combination does not have quite the detail of the 252/300 I used before, but it realy is a beautifully smooth and liquid sound. Its not as 3d deep as the pure naim rig, but the soundstage L/R is better. Being Class A the PM-94 does take a little while to get to proper operating temperature but when it does, the sound is very engaging.

Its a bloody good combination, IMO.

Is there any benefit to that approach (other than remote control) to using the PM94 as an integrated?

Tony.

Most of my interconnecst are configured for Naim ie, they are DIN and so would not work stright into the marantz, so using it alone would have a bill attached.

I've not done a detailed A/B yet but I do think the 252 is a better preamp.

Interesting thread, Mike.

Calls into question the value of multi k power amps and, I suspect, preamps (tbc).

My own recent experiences lead me to believe we missed out on so much good kit due the 'Jap crap' dogma of the past.

when i was younger my dad had some pioneer stuff, an sx 850 receiver and a pl516 turntable into kef 104ab speakers. it sounded great at the time and i've often thought of getting hold of the pioneer sx 1250/80 or even an sx1980. is this me just being nostalgic or is this old pioneer equipment any good?
i currently have a naim cds2 / concordant exhilarant / audio innovations second audio monos / snell type j2. sounds great to my ears if not quite classed as classic as of yet or is it?

Old Pioneer is good. Yes...

I am not convinced that newer stuff is necessarily better than old stuff especially since manufacturing standards and materials quality have dropped considerably due to cost, etc. (unless you are paying for the very high end).

I have as a 2nd system that is very enjoyable tube Quicksilver amps from the mid 1990s coupled with a pair of Naim IBLs. Unlike typical tube amp characteristics, the Quicksilvers are fast and punchy and it would be a treat to hear them with some old fashioned Altecs or JBLs or Klipschs.

advertisement

Back