advertisement

In praise of Old Stuff.

Morning chaps...does an early 80's Audio Technica AT-637 marked @ £19.95 count as old kit? :).still got some fluid in the bottle too! and on it's original battery.........

denni55

Early 80's @ 20 quid, you been done old chum. Mine was £15 in '86/7, still going strong, had to buy a new battery about ten years ago though:).

Nice work, Paul - would you care to do some gardening work for me? Drop me a PM with your address and a preferred style, and I'll get a CD in the post to you.

Paul - PM received and I'll stick something in the post in the next day or so.

Mike - seeing as I sort of hijacked your thread and you got in first, apparently, do you want to PM me your address and a genre and I'll stick a CD in the post to you, too?

I love my KEF reference 105s. I am told on PFM that there are 'better speakers', but I just love them and can't see me selling these..

Come to think of it the LP12 and RB300 are 1985 ish before modifications and pre-amp is a Naim chrome bumper 42 (modified by Les & co).

Aura tuner - 199n...

Arcam Alpha 5+ 1995 ish (now an AAAA5)

Funnily enough I marry this with some ultra moden gear such as a Windows 7 PC running Spotify Premium, Itunes (Lossless) wireless into my Airport Express and Beresfird Caiman+....

All sounds great to me and the convenience of Spotify and Itunes are great for background music, parties and even serious listening...

Paul - PM received and I'll stick something in the post in the next day or so.

Mike - seeing as I sort of hijacked your thread and you got in first, apparently, do you want to PM me your address and a genre and I'll stick a CD in the post to you, too?

This is very gracious of you BUT... have a look at the time that my post was edited, and compare it to the time of the answer from Paul...

It's okay, Mike, I had noticed that your post was edited - when did Meridian move to Japan by the way? :) - but am happy to offer the CD to make up for my thread derailment.

when i was younger my dad had some pioneer stuff, an sx 850 receiver and a pl516 turntable into kef 104ab speakers. it sounded great at the time and i've often thought of getting hold of the pioneer sx 1250/80 or even an sx1980. is this me just being nostalgic or is this old pioneer equipment any good?
i currently have a naim cds2 / concordant exhilarant / audio innovations second audio monos / snell type j2. sounds great to my ears if not quite classed as classic as of yet or is it?

I have a Pioneer SA 9800. One of the best amps they made.
Plenty of info here on Pioneer.......
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90

I have owned my Pioneer SA-9800 for a while now .... a definate keeper and compares favourably with new amps that cost considerably more

2 years ago, you could pick one up off ebay for approx £220-£280 .... a few months back, they were fetching over £650

and lately, I have not seen any for sale on ebay

This is the top view of the PM-94; its too fiddly to remove the casing but yo can see how much METAL there is inside...

pm940001.jpg

I have owned my Pioneer SA-9800 for a while now .... a definate keeper and compares favourably with new amps that cost considerably more

2 years ago, you could pick one up off ebay for approx £220-£280 .... a few months back, they were fetching over £650

and lately, I have not seen any for sale on ebay

I have one near mint in the wooden casing.

Beautiful dial mono amplifier with a very versatile phono section, including a transformer MC stage.

Also have an SX747 receiver from the Pioneer 'blue' period.
Deep electric blue tuner meters and analogue backlit full length dial, and again the wooden casing.
Lovely things.

I love old kit. Here is a list of my kit that is at least 20 years old:

Nak 680zx/682zx
Akai GX-77 x 2
Tandberg 3300x
Pioneer SA-9100 (Just finished a major overhaul)
Pioneer TX-9100
Lenco L75 x 3
Early Hadcock GH228 Super
Entre 1 mc cart
TDL Studio 1
Sony TC-K75
Akai X5000W
Heybrook C3
Ah, the Entre... I still have mine and have had 3 new styli fitted by Expert Pickups over the years. Wyndam Hodgson, of EP, told me it was one of his favourite cartridges. I paid about £85 for mine back in '78 and each stylus has cost me about £50/£60 , if I remember correctly. Martyn.

advertisement

Back