advertisement

In praise of Glenn Croft

Interesting that so many people admire the Croft casework. I think the internals are a thing of beauty but I've always thought the current cases a bit plain. But what do I know? Art Dudley was an admirer after all.
Ah, a great loss was Art Dudley. The Stereophile film of Art is a treasure, from the play on the John Deere at the beginning to the rabbit at the end, wonderful gentle humour and of course a beautiful audio system.

It very likely can be used as a pre or be modded to. No you do not need to have speakers connected.
Ah, thankyou. Currently using a Manley Chinook phono stage, which I believe has a 'healthy' output, by way of 1/2 m connects to a Khozmo Passive (stepped attentuator preamp) to (again just 1/2 m connects) my VTL ST-150 power. Works extremely well, but will be nice to try the Croft in place of the Khozmo for a bit of fun.

Never heard the Porsche story but I do know that if there's a test match on, don't expect a quick response to an email :D

20 odd years ago Len Gregory got Mr Croft to make me a phono stage it is built in to a Croft Vitale preamp case I preferred it to an Ear 834P then and now. I still have & use it. Not knowing about the Test match scenario a couple of years ago a capacitor went south unable to contact Mr Croft I got a trusted friend to replace the cap & give it a check over, it was in great shape. I don't know which version of his phono stages' it is, however it uses 2 x ECC83 & a cathode follower, I had it wired for a 6N1P follower, on an oscilloscope the output signal is dead flat. I would need to spend a lot of money to improve on it.

Mr Croft does makes exceedingly good kit.

20 odd years ago Len Gregory got Mr Croft to make me a phono stage it is built in to a Croft Vitale preamp case I preferred it to an Ear 834P then and now. I still have & use it. Not knowing about the Test match scenario a couple of years ago a capacitor went south unable to contact Mr Croft I got a trusted friend to replace the cap & give it a check over, it was in great shape. I don't know which version of his phono stages' it is, however it uses 2 x ECC83 & a cathode follower, I had it wired for a 6N1P follower, on an oscilloscope the output signal is dead flat. I would need to spend a lot of money to improve on it.

Mr Croft does makes exceedingly good kit.
Hi. There is also the - what word should I use - ethics? modesty - of his manufacturing which I admire so much. I did have an Ear 834P which looked nice (the deluxe version) but came up a little short against a Manley which I still have.

my vote, too, goes to the Croft & Harbeth combo -- in my case a SMA IV two-box pre, a Series V Mk II, a pair of SHL5s. my back-up amps are a Mega Micro II & the 7R monos (strangely, I prefer the Series V with top-of-the-line Russian EL84 equivalents). this as a result of some 15 years' worth of back-&-forth with Glenn. it's a great pity he's given up on the continent after Brexit.

my vote, too, goes to the Croft & Harbeth combo -- in my case a SMA IV two-box pre, a Series V Mk II, a pair of SHL5s. my back-up amps are a Mega Micro II & the 7R monos (strangely, I prefer the Series V with top-of-the-line Russian EL84 equivalents). this as a result of some 15 years' worth of back-&-forth with Glenn. it's a great pity he's given up on the continent after Brexit.
I do wish I had -- knowing of Glenn -- not investigated his amplifiers years ago ... and yes, France is now not an option for us

I had a Croft SMA IV with a pair of Series 5 driving ProAc Studio One Mk IIs for a few years - a lovely combination. Just a shame Glen never provided an MC phono input to his preamps.

Alex

he did do a separate head amp for MC cartridges. I've got one, sounds rather good with a Denon 103R.

I had a Croft SMA IV with a pair of Series 5 driving ProAc Studio One Mk IIs for a few years - a lovely combination. Just a shame Glen never provided an MC phono input to his preamps.

Alex

I love my Phono Integrated. I had it for sale a couple of times due to some financial shortfalls as I transitioned in to retirement…but in the end I just couldn’t sell it.

I love my Phono Integrated. I had it for sale a couple of times due to some financial shortfalls as I transitioned in to retirement…but in the end I just couldn’t sell it.

If you had sold it I reckon you would have bought it back again later! Something compelling about Croft gear that keeps you going back to it, especially the preamps and phono stages.

I think the head amp was an early sideline, rare now on the used market, sells at around the £200-250 mark. it is an outwardly unassuming design, but in relative terms as good as the Croft pre amps I own. here's a pic of a past system of mine with the HA under a book next to the elephant on the left.

F7-CE8004-8-ABA-4-E5-F-81-A9-E40-A7993-BE56.jpg

advertisement

Back