advertisement

In praise of Glenn Croft

I vaguely recall someone writing that Glenn Croft would let his amplifier workshop go quiet until his old Porsche 911 needed some work done. True or not I have held that idea of Glenn. I always was aware of his preamplifiers at such low prices. The manufacture appeared to follow those principles I admire, the very opposite of maximising production, the chasing excessive ‘growth’ through outsourcing labour. Yet the pictures, not to mention comments and reviews, appeared to show a rather cost-is-an-object build. The years passed. Well, recently I purchased a new Integrated R from Audio Affair. It arrived. I opened the box. Well, heavens above what a perfect amplifier, what great build quality. I can think of few pieces of audio equipment I have enjoyed simply looking at more (the Musical Fidelity A1, the Meridian 207, the Audio Innovations First Audio triode amplifier, an impulse buy of Impulse H6s ... etc). I spent an hour or so wiring it into my stereo system in place of the VTL ST150 and listened to some Bill Frisell over my Harbeth 30.2s. Simply lovely. So I thought I'd register on this pink fish media forum and share my experience with Glenn Croft amplifiers. I waited too long. Hope the Porsche is going well.

I never owned one but heard them a lot. John Palmer (of Palmer decks) is a great fan of Glen's and I believe I remember that they once considered some sort of HiFi partnership. I think the amps are brilliant sounding and always thought that whatever their (small) shortfalls might be, no one could build a better amp 'at that cost' That the casework was also something that felt crafted only added to that.

The R Integrated must be lovely. I had the Phono Integrated with my M30.1 for a while and currently use a 25 preamp. They’re easy to mod if necessary too - my pre is having the mute switch changed into a mono switch, and we’re adding a ground lift on the rear panel. Enjoy

Interesting that so many people admire the Croft casework. I think the internals are a thing of beauty but I've always thought the current cases a bit plain. But what do I know? Art Dudley was an admirer after all.

Have a croft Six Pack and seen off others at ten times the price
sixpack_m.jpg

Very happy with my Phono Integrated. Currently running fostex fe127e and soon to be partnered with Falcon Q7s.

Wonder if the Croft brand will keep on going after Glenn retires. Is there a chance some of his assistants will pick up the reins?

25R pre here, beautiful thing.
Hi. I tried the Croft R with Falcon LS3/5As and who could wish for more? Still, the bigger Harbeth showed the Croft's abilities more convincingly. The LS3/5A from Falcon is the best I have owned (and that is another story ...)

Very happy with my Phono Integrated. Currently running fostex fe127e and soon to be partnered with Falcon Q7s.

Wonder if the Croft brand will keep on going after Glenn retires. Is there a chance some of his assistants will pick up the reins?
Let us hope so. And let us hope the modest aims of a small workshop are maintained.

Is the phono stage MM or MC? I’ve read good things about it.

Harbeth and Croft is a great combination and ticks many boxes IMO.
Yes. I often think that a lasting manufacture will be small and focused and not chase money. Employees will be valued. I see both companies as attaining ethics in business and these are the only companies I would buy from if I could (damn I have an iPhone but we're not perfect - see "Dying for an iPhone" on Pluto Press)

I'm with you, more good crafted engineering than flash design, but I like that.
I have to admit my turning to purchases of audio equipment was more often filling a gap in me than chasing music, so be it. Thankfully, most times I settled on beautiful products from Manley, SME and Vacuum Tube Logic, true to love of music and electronics not maximising wealth. At least that has been my hope.

The Super Micro complemented Quad IIs very well. A kingdom and a horse for remote control...
Ah, the Quad II amplifiers. My older sister's friends were a pretty impressive lot with their French and Russian novels, paintings that were not prints and boyfriends who had interesting interests. One - Fred? Geoff? - had Quad II amplifiers. That was pretty amazing when I was 18.

advertisement

Back