advertisement

Impulse Taus Conversion and Restoration

Pac1

Designer/Manufacturer
Following the restoration of the Impulse H2s, I have been fairly inundated with requests to do the same for other Impulse speakers, with H2s joining a queue for the RFC coversion from far and wide. However, it's the Impulse Taus (later variants of the H2) which are next on the agenda.

I have received a lovely pair of Taus speakers but the mid drivers were shot (on testing) and surrounds gone. This is the second pair where I've found shot mid drivers and the very low dip in impedance in the original crossover may be a factor (who knows), but the RFC conversion offers several improvements one of which is a flat impedance load which doesn't dip much lower than 5 Ohms.

To this end, I have started with crossover box construction to take crossovers external, and have made headway with the crossover construction. Design has already been proved and completed on the H2s and as these will share the same driver compliment and crossover points, it's a safe enough bet to use the same crossover design although the Taus benefits from a slightly improved baffle design reducing diffraction spikes.

Crossover components awaiting assembly:

IMG_0144_zpsv0cy9kz0.jpg

A little about the crossovers:

Being built up (not yet soldered) into the required circuit on boards which will be inserted into crossover boxes later on:

IMG_0152_zpszq8uagbw.jpg

IMG_0147_zpsbspxyotz.jpg

IMG_0156_zps4te5wfvq.jpg

IMG_0157_zpsc6xockpw.jpg

Boxes:

The customer wanted boxes in hardwood to closely match his speaker baffle timber (in this case Cherry).

The issue with Cherry I've found is that in planked form, it has a habit of twisting and doesn't seem particularly stable, so what I've done is to use (American) Maple and a reddish Cedar stain mixed with finishing oil to achieve the right blended colour tone. This closely matched the cabinets and the grain is not unlike the Cherry. The joints are blind dovetails, hand cut and assembled.

Lids will consist of smoke acrylic and the fittings and drillings for the boxes have yet to be done. The crossovers have been inserted just to try the boards for fit. They will sit a bit higher in reality as I will be introducing a damping layer between the box bases and the crossover boards, hence the generous free-board dimensions.

IMG_0158_zps66j6yufd.jpg

IMG_0159_zpsfukcvs2d.jpg

IMG_0160_zpsarjo7c5n.jpg

IMG_0161_zpslid8ocmf.jpg

A little about the crossovers

These have been re-engineered from the standard versions to offer a number of improvements and to accommodate new mid and HF drivers.

Component quality is as good as it gets for passive crossovers without excessive spend, from the Pathaudio resistors to the Mundorf M-Cap Supremes and the Mundorf "Zero Ohm" bass inductors (actually 0.1 ohms).

They offer the following benefits:

• Increased bass sensitivity/efficiency through the use of ultra low impedance bass inductor
  • Ultra low distortion performance from inductors and next to zero hysteresis
  • High quality parts in the signal path and circuit paths kept as short as possible and hard wired
  • Each component selected to within a few percent (max) tolerances and each speaker matched to under 1dB across the frequency spectrum
  • Improved power factor and speaker efficiency
  • reduced amp load (more amp friendly!)

I did enjoy your rebuild thread on the H2's (one of my fav speakers) Look forward to this thread very much, Thanks.

I did enjoy your rebuild thread on the H2's (one of my fav speakers) Look forward to this thread very much, Thanks.

Many thanks

I'll certainly keep up a photo diary for this particular job. I'm really looking forward to the end result as the H2s sounded truly magnificent when done. I'm tempted to buy a pair myself and carry out this work but my wife says that 7 pairs of speakers in the house is enough!

Hi, do you have any idea of the time window, during which you'll have the updated Ta'us finished, but still with you?
Was wondering it was possible to pop over with my own and conduct a side by side comparison of a stock pair vs the enhanced?

Hi, do you have any idea of the time window, during which you'll have the updated Ta'us finished, but still with you?
Was wondering it was possible to pop over with my own and conduct a side by side comparison of a stock pair vs the enhanced?

Certainly

Should be within 2 weeks and you are more than welcome to visit. I'm Gloucestershire, GL11 postcode.

A few more photos: Crossover boards now completed and tested, ready for installation into boxes and final wiring up:

IMG_0169_zps6qpsrndc.jpg

IMG_0171_zpsrgfm8abx.jpg

IMG_0174_zpsdkq1j5j6.jpg

Being very specific, would it be viable to pop across say on the 22nd or 23rd of Aug? Will the Ta'us you're working on be ready by then?

If not, could you please suggest another date, preferably a Sat or Sun.

Being very specific, would it be viable to pop across say on the 22nd or 23rd of Aug? Will the Ta'us you're working on be ready by then?

If not, could you please suggest another date, preferably a Sat or Sun.

They should be ready next week. 22nd may be possible if you could make it a morning visit as I suspect the owner will want to be picking them up the same day but we'll see.

Ace, I'll have a chat with the missus and will keep you posted.
Have to say, a side by side dem would be the key justification that I'd like to have to spend the cash.

Ace, I'll have a chat with the missus and will keep you posted.
Have to say, a side by side dem would be the key justification that I'd like to have to spend the cash.

Absolutely understand. I doubt whether you'll be disappointed ;)

Crossovers now completed and starting work on main speaker for tweeter plugs and conversion plus internal wiring etc. Pictures of completed boxes.

IMG_0175_zps3igbymfx.jpg

IMG_0178_zpsncw8bn2k.jpg

IMG_0181_zpszukngilb.jpg

Nuts, the missus has given me "other" things that I must do that weekend.
Talk about being under the thumb. Clearly going to need to be another time.

BTW, those are looking lovely.

Looking good as usual!

I've found Cherry quite stable, maybe not enough for baffles bit ok for boxes. Funny how experience can vary so much with timber.

I've had a few planks warp on me. It could have been just the batch was poorly seasoned but on this commission I wasn't taking any chances as I knew that Maple is very stable and a lovely timber to work. Alongside the speakers, you'd be hard pushed to notice much difference now. One annoyance was that the corner of one lid cracked as the drill speed used was too low, so I'll have to sort a replacement lid.

More pictures to follow. First tweeter plug has been hand cut using a bespoke template for the job specific to the Focal tweeter cut outs, and the plug fitted, now awaiting rear plate with wiring to go back before I can wire everything back up and felt the front around the tweeter.

Main speaker cabinets now devoid of drivers and backplates with hand cut tweeter plug fitted to speaker in first photo and other speaker showing fitted plug primed ready for tweeter and receiving glue for felt on second picture:

IMG_0185_zpsu3orodko.jpg

IMG_0186_zpspcvubpsv.jpg

Completion of Impulse Taus upgrading works:

IMG_0194_zpsrq44nq5y.jpg

IMG_0195_zpssjpp8ynz.jpg

IMG_0203_zpsb64z20bi.jpg

IMG_0205_zpsq7me0vpt.jpg

These sound amazing. Bass is much more natural, deep, and powerful without any boominess and can now be sited free space. Mids are no-where near as forward or "shouty" and aggressive. They are also more natural with female voices very nicely reproduced. upper detail is no longer swamped by the upper mids so the whole sounds more refined and 3-D in particular. The quality of the components used in the crossovers may shout "diminishing returns" but are partially responsible for that refinement and clarity. The phase coherence audibly considerably betters the originals, thanks to a completely revised crossover design which sacrifices nothing of the bass sensitivity of the original nor its dynamic/transient response. Win-win for all Impulse H2/Taus fans. These are now good for another 30 years or more without any further attention.

Great thread, great job. Thanks for posting...I think the only way I'm going to own a pair (as they are so very rare on the market) is to build a pair. Is there a cut/build plan available anywhere I wounder.

Any help appreciated.

Great thread, great job. Thanks for posting...I think the only way I'm going to own a pair (as they are so very rare on the market) is to build a pair. Is there a cut/build plan available anywhere I wounder.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks Laverda.

I don't have any plans for these but you could try Martin's Acoustica.org website as there may be some details there.

The trouble you will have is in sourcing mid range drivers and woofers. Whilst I have all the remaining stock in the UK for the mid range drivers, it doesn't amount to many pairs left and there are no NOS stocks of the woofers. SEAS do not keep these as back catalogue drivers either.

If there is enough interest, I would commission SEAs to re-manufacture them but I would need at least 100 people interested as tooling costs are far from cheap.

They will crop up on the used market in either H2 or Taus guise but my guess is that prices are set to rise as popularity outweighs availability, so good advice would be to snap up these whilst you can.

One word of caution to all H2/Taus owners: The mid drivers may look healthy but every single solitary pair I've come across, on removal and inspection of the mid drivers, the surrounds have crumbled. All that holds them together is the doping agent used on the original cones. The un-doped rubber surround versions (used above in my refurb of these and the H2s) are better and closer matched too. Originals will most certainly want re-foaming.

The other thing to be aware of is that whilst they may appear sensitive on paper, the original crossover design means that there is a sudden dip in impedance to between 2.5 and 3 Ohms in the midrange between 700 Hz and 1 KHz and this, along with some under powered amps driving these can result in clipping. I've tested a few mids with voice coil damage.

My re-worked crossover results in a nice even 6 Ohm load which is even SE amp friendly, at the loss of a little sensitivity. The sensitivity was arrived at mainly by allowing way too much energy into the mids, with a caveat to site them close to walls. Even with boundary reinforcement, as standard, the mids are still lifted quite significantly I've found (via measurement).

My redesign allows for free space or close to wall siting for a far more balanced and even response.

advertisement

Back