advertisement

Impulse Taus Conversion and Restoration

I can probably replicate them for anyone interested but would want to check with Brian Tailor (original designer) first to see that he had no objections as a courtesy. After all, they were his design.

Just to confirm folks that anyone wanting their Taus/H2 refurbished and upgraded, that there are only 7 pairs of mid drivers left now in stock (that's world-wide!).

I have reserved these for refurbishments and rebuilds of H2/Taus loudspeakers with RFC on a first come-first served basis.

Hope you traders dont mind my posting here as it seams the most logical as only those with an interest will be reading this post. If not I'll ask for it to be moved.

I will start a thread in DIY, on the build as it gets going but for now....

I've decided to have a bash...I'm going to build a pair of H2/Taus type clones. (hate that word) Iv'e always liked and wanted a pair of the H2's after a listen some 20...25, ah might be 28 years ago. I been looking waiting for a S/H pair but with the problems high lighted 'mids and xover 'that need a looking at' after all these years> I see my only option is to build a pair. (I'm running out of years waiting)

I have already secured the drivers (many thanks to Falcon A, very helpful) with great advise from Paul of RFC and he has agreed to spec/build test a xover upon my comlpeted build. Looking forward to a nice drive out to Dursley. I used to live in Berkely (just up the road) Loved it there.

By the by...

So if an existing owner would be will to assist I would be eternally greatful. I need some dimensions....I cant find any details on line apart from broucure sizes (1160hx280wx450d) I can eye ball most dims there or there abouts but it would be nice to have a firm measuements I can work to.

I will be throwing up a drawing with in the next few days with required areas I need to confirm.

So...Is there anybody out there...

Thanks in advance

Graham

So,... a high level drawing outlining the target.

Need some clarification on some dims...

There is/will be a steel base/stand (foot if you like) that the speaker will stand on. With on opening of 50mm below the bottom of the cabinet

The MID horn is going to be a cassette type (slide in and fix) job.

Fast work, great stuff! Nice to see that you've offset the tweeter as suggested. Any ideas yet how you'll form the horn shape, perhaps stacked and sanded MDF post-lacquered?

Fast work, great stuff! Nice to see that you've offset the tweeter as suggested. Any ideas yet how you'll form the horn shape, perhaps stacked and sanded MDF post-lacquered?

Yes Paul

I was thinking of stacked mdf (in two halves) and shaping to produce the horn from a pre cut template off CAD.

Early days though ...

Drivers arrive tomorrow, :)

drawing...2 which I think is more like what I need to achieve...

So, after some thought and prompting I'll be using some known criteria...which has been used in the past namely a bit of de-coupling and damping to the drive units and or enclosures. The 19mm MDF bass enclosure will be clad in 19mm ply for additional damping (finish TBC)

section through the tweeter showing an isolation device (already have these) which removes the tweeter from direct contact with the Bass enclosure. This spring steel suspension plate is fixed to the enclosure via rubber through hole grommets and damping foam (5mm and or small springs) behind the hinged leg of the plate thus isolating the driver from any unwanted interference from the bass enclosure. The tweeter is also boxed in.

The MID driver will be in its own enclosure (horn) again de-coupled probably via 4 ball and cup isolation devices (any suggestions) and damped with some foam. So in reality this will become a two box speaker...

The whole speaker will sit on a steel foot with an opening off the base of 50mm which in tern will have isolation devices to the floor.

These arrived today....

I'm still after some internal dimensions... .....

TIA

Graham

advertisement

Back