advertisement

Impossible speakers?

Proper, full range speakers stands on the floor for obvious reasons. Weight and size.
Sorry, but this isn't true. Take a look at some ATC and PMC large studio style monitors, many of which might weigh 50Kg or there abouts, but are stand mounted for performance reasons. Examples include the ATC SCM 100 and PMC iB2SE

It’s completely off piste, but the original Wharfedale Diamonds are superb speakers.
On stands, out in the room, they sound very good and image very well.
I had a pair in my University Lab. for decades.
People used to comment on the quality of them.

ATC stand mount speakers will fit the bill but not the most sensitive.

I don’t think ‘everyone knows’ that floor standing speakers are worse. Lots of variables in play
The ATC SCMs and notably the 19 require too much current. They cannot be attached to their stands, they look like basic boxes and their grilles are from any other age. Quality drivers though.

Mobile Fidelity Sourcepoint 10? Not stupidly priced by high-end standards. Are they available in the UK?

The trade off for high sensitivity is, of course, bass extension or size. Amplifier power is relatively cheap these days, so do you really need 90dB/W?
Yes I need the efficiency rating as my current amplifier is anemic and cannot supply enough current to control bass frequencies.

Yes I need the efficiency rating as my current amplifier is anemic and cannot supply enough current to control bass frequencies.
I’m afraid I don’t understand this line of thinking at all. If your amplifier is not up to the task get a different one, one that’ll do the job and drive your speakers properly. If you are happy with your speakers, just replace the amp. In the end, that’ll probably be cheaper.

What is your budget, what speakers and amplifier do you have now?

Last edited:
Has no-one mentioned the Iron Law of Loudspeakers yet? There 3 basic things about speakers - size (smallness), sensitivity and bass extension. you can only ever get 2 out of 3.....
  • small speakers will have limited bass extension or low sensitivity....so most designs are a compromise
  • high sensitivity speakers have to be large or will have limited bass extension - so most designs are a compromise
  • speakers with good bass extension will either have to be large or they will be low sensitivity. - so most designs are a compromise

Has no-one mentioned the Iron Law of Loudspeakers yet? There 3 basic things about speakers - size (smallness), sensitivity and bass extension. you can only ever get 2 out of 3.....
  • small speakers will have limited bass extension or low sensitivity....so most designs are a compromise
  • high sensitivity speakers have to be large or will have limited bass extension - so most designs are a compromise
  • speakers with good bass extension will either have to be large or they will be low sensitivity. - so most designs are a compromise
@Tony L alluded to it

Lightweight paper cones can help a lot compared to plastic or metal drivers. Sometimes the colouration is very pleasant

Kinda makes you want to ditch it all and just compete in professional basket weaving instead...

While this might be generally true, there are a number of small speakers that fall outside of these parameters. I have a pair: The MAD 1920S. They are small in size, 90dB, 4 ohms, rear-ported and have a unusual amount of good quality bass energy and extension. Plus, they can be placed comfortably 25cm from the wall behind. (I'm considering selling them...small plug).

advertisement

Back