advertisement

Ikea will do anything to stop you finding your way out.

I did start to lose the will to live after 20 min in there last Friday.
I'm sure the architects were Mobius & Escher.

I visited the IKEA in Croyden when it opened. It was nightmarish, so first and last time.

Every IKEA has short cuts throughout the floors and levels for the dears who are traumatised by shopping there.

Every IKEA has short cuts throughout the floors and levels for the dears who are traumatised by shopping there.
The IKEA in Croydon didn't when I visited.
I asked the staff and was told 'it's a one way system, and customers have to go around it all to the exit'.

Looking forward to your next uninformed lecture, dear.

Leave it, he's not wurf it!
I remember in the early days, it was made as difficult as possible to stray off the beaten track, but now the shortcuts are labelled. Too easy. Kids today....etc etc

It's probably due to some sort of wokeism where childless parents shouldn't be forced to go through the kiddies bit, or vegetarians to go near the meat preparation tools.

If only Bob had remebered the early days. I did write 'when it opened'.

It is better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
For someone who has been here for yonks you're very, um, timid and inclined to flouncing.
I thought better of the post and deleted it almost immediately because I thought it'd just give you more opportunities to play the big man.

So you were quick off the mark, I grant you. But now I'm even more certain you've been here before. What did you get banned for last time, big guy?

I expect the IKEA in Mu Mu Land has different rules anyway. I saw these near the checkout. They were called HOORNU

iu

Ikea UK stores have aways had the shortcuts even when the first one opened in Warrington in 1987 as they had to for fire safety purposes, but they weren't initially signposted or store maps available until they reacted to customer feedback and added store maps and signposting in the late 90s. However, as the shortcuts are rarely in a direct line of sight of the pre-planned route many can still miss them and obviously do.

I know it's fashionable to slag Ikea off, but I think they make some excellent products including their Metod kitchen range. Yes they aren't the last word in quality, but neither are they 'cheap s**t' and from a value for money perspective I think some of their products can score highly. I recently disposed of an Ikea leather three piece quite from one of our rentals that I had owned since 1993... that's nearly thirty years service and the only reason it went was because the tenants' dogs had ripped the seats and pulled the foam out... I love dogs... sometimes. :D

As for visiting the store if you know what you are doing you can be in and out pretty quickly, but I grant you it's not designed to be easy.

Ikea UK stores have aways had the shortcuts even when the first one opened in Warrington in 1987 as they had to for fire safety purposes, but they weren't initially signposted or store maps available until they reacted to customer feedback and added store maps and signposting in the late 90s. However, as the shortcuts are rarely in a direct line of sight of the pre-planned route many can still miss them and obviously do.

I know it's fashionable to slag Ikea off, but I think they make some excellent products including their Metod kitchen range. Yes they aren't the last word in quality, but neither are they 'cheap s**t' and from a value for money perspective I think some of their products can score highly. I recently disposed of an Ikea leather three piece quite from one of our rentals that I had owned since 1993... that's nearly thirty years service and the only reason it went was because the tenants' dogs had ripped the seats and pulled the foam out... I love dogs... sometimes. :D

As for visiting the store if you know what you are doing you can be in and out pretty quickly, but I grant you it's not designed to be easy.
No problem here with Ikea. I type this as a sit on a 20 year old Ektorp sofa. You can still get new covers, and an industry has grown up around it with custom covers.

Every time I visit, we end up with loads of stuff we didn’t need

Every time I visit, we end up with loads of stuff we didn’t need

Case in point - our local Freecycle site is flooded with peeps trying to get rid of the dredge they pick up there 'on a whim' .... some of it still in its packaging :confused:

The IKEA in Croydon didn't when I visited.
I asked the staff and was told 'it's a one way system, and customers have to go around it all to the exit'.

Not uninformed at all. Don't believe what the staff tell you. All IKEA stores have shortcuts. They just don't want you to find them.

(...and your post was unnecessarily rude).

I reckon there have been people living in the one in Southampton for three years. Shame the tellies don't work, and I hope they take the cling film off the toilets.....

My teenage son & his friends used to play hide & seek in the Southampton Ikea, very often managing to stay in the wardrobes beyond closing time........ I wonder if any of them are still searching for their mates?

advertisement

Back