advertisement

iFi Audio getting into the pricey power cables game....

lots of companies make more expensive "hi fii" cables. If they work and people feel they make a difference then all is good. I haven't heard these ones but a good power cable can enhance listening pleasure. YMMV

They aren’t a bad price really compared to others and it looks like they contain an ifi Ac ipurifier in them. Having just tried an ipurifier, they definitely help clean up mains noise.

It had to happen... As usual, some pretty sketchy science being tossed around but these days you either play the game or get left behind.
I still like the budget iFi and Fiio electronics because it's well built and offers very good value for money and sounds pretty nice.

If you like how the cable looks, want to add some bling to your system and have some lazy coin collecting dust then go for it. As for me I like to keep my cables neat, tidy and routed close to the skirting board. Personally I am yet to hear any difference between power cables, It delivers 240 Volts to the power socket on the device... Job done.

Happy Listening

LPSpinner.

Last edited:
There's mone to be made where there's money to be made.

We have a tendency to think of audio equipment as something special, something noble, but it's only just another business.
They want your money...

I use the ferrite infused QED XT5 mains cables. And that's about as far as I'll go with it.

If its hiding active circuitry in the barrel then it could at least do something, which is a move in the right direction.

It would appear that iFi is looking to diversify its customer base and demographics. What with these cables and its new NEO based product line: the desktop DAC and this new streamer of theirs.
Time will indeed tell.

If its hiding active circuitry in the barrel then it could at least do something, which is a move in the right direction.

What active circuitry do you need in a mains cable?

DC blocking can be accomplished with a fairly simple passive filter and any HF filtering should be provided at the component end. Modern components will have these filters installed as part of their standards compliance rating. It's also worth noting that many of these "Audiophile" cables don't carry any markings to identify that they have been tested to conform to the appropriate safety standards or electrical emissions ratings.

I have said this before in other posts but I still believe that quite often "Hi-End" Audiophile marketing is about finding solutions for problems that don't exist.

Happy Listening.
LPSpinner

You seem to have misread my quote. I was simply stating that the ability to do something is better than not being able to do anything at all.

I wasn't claiming this cable was a good way to filter mains, simply that it potentially wasn't the worst, the worst being say a £30,000 box of scientific impossibility like anything from Entreq for example.

advertisement

Back