advertisement

If You Could Introduce One Rule Into The Political System...

A proportional electoral system is not a solution. It encourages the birth of countless small parties and makes multi-party coalition governments inevitable. And multi-party coalition governments are almost always ineffective, paralysed by the interests of each small party that can make or break the coalition.

Multi-party coalition governments seem to work pretty well in many countries (the Nordic countries, Netherlands etc.).

Multi-party coalition governments seem to work pretty well in many countries (the Nordic countries, Netherlands etc.).

And it is about time USA/UK (re)learnt about compromise. The majority of voters want sensible compromise not flip-flop from right to left.

And Germany.

People who criticise PR always ignore these countries.

The good thing about PR is that it gives a voice to minority interests. Their elected representatives would then have to move into the compromise needed for Government rather than the 'we can just say anything we want' of a protest movement. And yes, I'd be comfortable with both left and right wing parties having representatives in parliament.

As it is 50-75% of the UK have little or no effective representation in the UK Parliament.

Stephen

I don't know much about the electoral systems in these countries, or in Germany, but I seem to remember that in each there is a mechanism that weeds out the smaller parties and channels votes/seats to the parties that obtain the most votes. In France, for instance, one could argue that Macron became President with only 28 % (or whatever the figure at the first round of voting was) of the overall number of electors.

But certainly the UK does have the most extreme FPTP system anywhere (that I can think of).

I don't know much about the electoral systems in these countries, or in Germany, but I seem to remember that in each there is a mechanism that weeds out the smaller parties and channels votes/seats to the parties that obtain the most votes.

I suggest you look at the current composition of the Dutch parliament. :)

The Party for the Rights of Animals is in there, along with a few others....

I will! Just looked t their voting system and it seems it is, indeed, proportional but that below a certain number of votes you don't get a seat and the seat goes to the party/parties that already get seats. I read through it twice but it seems very "technical." But then all the compromise systems seem to be very "technical."
One problem with this is that, as happens in Italy, voters can get the feeling that they don't know who, in terms of individuals, they are voting for, and that the candidates for MP are chosen and manipulated by the party bosses.

I will! Just looked t their voting system and it seems it is, indeed, proportional but that below a certain number of votes you don't get a seat and the seat goes to the party/parties that already get seats.

Well, yes, the Dutch system is based on voting for a "list" (basically a party), and the lists/parties get numbers of seats allocated based on the total number of votes for the whole list. So it is proportional with regards to the number of seats, but not necessarily with regards to the order of candidates within the list/party.

All politicians should be psychologically screened for undesirable traits such as psychopathy. That would cut entrants by half.

Excellent!

What the hell do other European countries think of our move back to selective schooling, fox hunting and goodness knows what else once we leave the EU?

I think the return of capital punishment is almost inevitable.

Stephen

Excellent!

What the hell do other European countries think of our move back to selective schooling, fox hunting and goodness knows what else once we leave the EU?

Stephen

The UK is rather a joke over here on the continent.

Excellent!

Stephen
I hope so. Bring back hanging, there's some proper scum bags out there.

advertisement

Back