advertisement

If You Could Introduce One Rule Into The Political System...

maxflinn

pfm Member
That you believe would have the greatest positive effect for the greater good of your country, what would it be?

I would make it illegal for political parties to take large donations from any source, and for politicians to take any money at all. Instead I would dictate that the parties, and only the parties, can take only individual donations of no more than £50 per private person, and that is it. No money from any businesses or companies or any groups at all. Just £50 per private person who might wish to donate, and paid via bank transfer to whichever party's bank account.

There could be no gifts either, or services offered, of any description, from anywhere, bar of course volunteer work.

I'm having two:

1) Proportional representation as there is no point in arguing about the minutiae in the current system where a party can gain absolute control with a minority vote-share, i.e. we need to start from the point of having a proper legitimate democracy.

2) No "Members Interests" and far tighter controls regarding corruption, back-handers etc, even for some period after a MP has stood down. The current situation is simply riddled with corruption with people who work for healthcare companies, financial services industries, defence contractors etc etc all taking money from the public purse under the ruse of being an MP and then using that position for personal gain. This really needs knocking on the head. If we are paying for an elected representative I expect them to represent us 100% of the time. It needs to be an exclusve contract with zero conflict of interest/trough-feeding.

PS Point two probably covers what Maxflinn was on about above too as it would preclude corporations etc buying policies. Before anyone mentions it I have more sympathy with the concept of trade unions as they at least theoretically represet tens/hundreds of thousands of members rather than a monied elite, but I would like to see far more democracy and legitimacy within. They often seem a long way from that these days with decisions being made by an internal elite rather than the membership en masse.

Agree with all three of the suggestions so far. Our democracy is in dire straits and desperately needs an overhaul.

I agree with bringing in proportional representation too.

I'm curious to hear what ideas some of our more right-leaning members might have.

How about making it an offence to lie or deceive for political gain? The political equivalent of 'obtaining money by deception' if you will.

In Germany there's a version of proportional representation. A great way to make sure members always tow the party line otherwise they'll be out next time the party makes its selections. Oh yeah, and we end up with a great Grand Coalition which is just wonderful.

I think the problem in the UK at the moment is that each of the main parties doesn't properly represent the people they claim to. A destruction of all three (of the UK parties) and starting again would be best. Maybe my rule would be no party may exist for more than a generation...

MPs better paid, with no second job, and limited to a certain number of parliaments before being automatically de-selected, with certain members being promoted to a second, unelected chamber (though not sure how this would be done).

Oh, and if there's ever a whiff that a politician starts working in a sector or for a company they might have been favourable to in the private sector, then this is prevented (also for civil servants).

So unless I'm misunderstanding, the opposite of what I said?

I have absolutely no problem with political parties receiving donations from other bodies, be they unions or corporates. Of course this needs to be open to public scrutiny. I do think though campaign expenditure be subject to a max spend per election to include workers wages and expenses.

But as I say, I have no problem with unfettered fund raising

I have absolutely no problem with political parties receiving donations from other bodies, be they unions or corporates. Of course this needs to be open to public scrutiny. I do think though campaign expenditure be subject to a max spend per election to include workers wages and expenses.

But as I say, I have no problem with unfettered fund raising
Fair enough. I'm curious though as to how you think unlimited donations might help to improve the greater good?

Are you not concerned that the UK will end up like the US where the politicians work for the donors, not the public?

I think MPs salaries should be increased but no second jobs. I also think that they should only be allowed to serve as an MP for a max of three terms.

Parties should choose two or three potential candidates that would stand up for scrutiny public.
This would avoid the party members voting for whomever will serve them best instead of whomever will serve the population/country best...

Voters should be educated/elucidated prior to an election about the needs of the country, then vote blind on manifests without knowing which party was behind what...to avoid being Trumped on.
Political parties are not football clubs.

How fun would that be?

How about eliminating the possibility of re-election? (at least for the next term).
The party in power automatically goes in opposition next term, and the second strongest party comes into power.

Whatever party is in charge could focus on real world issues and might even come up with some unpopular solutions, not having to worry about their chances of re-election.

The local MP has to vote according to the majority view in their constituancy when there is a national referendum.

Abolish the whip system.

Bring back direct payment for votes, rather than the indirect bribery of promising stuff to the electorate that will never be delivered.

Make politicians accountable for what they say during election campaigns, and prosecute them if they lie. £340m per week to the NHS did they say?

advertisement

Back