advertisement

I want to learn DIY electronics ...

No - I don't have an Rpi - in fact, I will use it to drive the Sonab OD-11 now in my daughter's bedroom (quite efficient speakers in a not so large room).

No - I don't have an Rpi - in fact, I will use it to drive the Sonab OD-11 now in my daughter's bedroom (quite efficient speakers in a not so large room).

In which case any of the small class D amp boards off amazon should be great.

I do remember one electronics lecturer referring to Practical Wireless to being as much good as Practical Boa Constrictor when it comes to learning the subject properly.
My university lecturers were even less use at teaching anything about real world electronics.

I tended to get that feeling too.

The stuff I learned at university wasn't that useful for dealing with practical electronics, but did give a pretty solid theoretical background that has served me well - but this was a "technical" university, the Finnish equivalent of MIT.

try this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0071848290/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
if you look you can get a pdf before you buy it

Now that looks interesting, thanks, as does the Dummies book offered alongside.

I really do need something as basic as this : http://www.co-bw.com/DIY_Audio_Test_Capacitor.htm

And before even that I need to learn how to use a multi meter and some soldering tips (last component I soldered was within my DIY mobile disco rig when I was 17 in 1969; Squeals on Wheels, £10 / night, using my partner's mother's Mini Countryman as our "van"). Wish I still had the 4 x Goodmans 201 (or were they 301 ?) drivers I used for the speakers...

I'll be in the UK for my annual "MOT visit" in 2 weeks : could someone please recommend a multi-meter & soldering iron (inc solder) to buy from Maplins ?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'll be in the UK for my annual "MOT visit" in 2 weeks : could someone please recommend a multi-meter & soldering iron (inc solder) to buy from Maplins ?

If you don't want to be carrying the stuff from the UK, there are some decent shops in Amsterdam:

Radio Rotor on Kinkerstraat
Hecke Electronica on Centuurbaan
Muco Electronica on Bilderdijkstraat

but my favorite for great deals on basic stuff is Baco in IJmuiden - a surplus store, but with a fair bit of electonics stuff.

For ordering on the net, the German distributor Conrad has a Dutch webshop as well at https://www.conrad.nl/.

Pretty much any digital multimeter will be OK, for soldering iron it really depends on how much you want to invest and what kind of soldering you intend to do. I would recommend a thermostatic iron (as opposed to a low-power "always on" one). I still love my 30-year-old thermostatic tip Weller, but my main bench one is now a pot-adjustable soldering station.

Great links, thanks, Julf - I will look in at Radio Rotor next time I stop for coffee at Lot Sixty One (which might even be this afternoon) :)

Edit : my goodness, it's virtually across the road from Lot 61 !

Great links, thanks, Julf - I will look in at Radio Rotor next time I stop for coffee at Lot Sixty One (which might even be this afternoon) :)

Edit : my goodness, it's virtually across the road from Lot 61 !

Well, a block or so away. Muco used to be just around the corner as well, but seems they have now closed their city store and only have the location in West.

If you plan to visit today, I might be able to join you looking at soldering irons - it is normally 10 min by bike or 15 min by tram from here, but it seems there is a walking marathon in the city today, so traffic might be messy.

Julf - I just pm'd you my number : the coffee's on me :) I think the marathon is tomorrow & can't find details about a walking event today - I'm about to drive in and drop my daughter and a friend at a UVA building near Muntplein. If necessary I'll drive out and come back in on a tram. I'll be easy to identify at Lot Sixty One, as I'll probably be the only person with a Goldendoodle at my side, wearing a Swiss baseball cap (me, not the dog) !

Edit : oh, I see it, a Good Morning City Run... hmmmn, serious navigation skills required...
Edit 2 : leaving now, but I see the City Walk... may not be able to make it :(

Mission accomplished, Jeremy equipped with soldering iron and multimeter.

Great to meet you, Jeremy, and let's definitely make sure we have more time to talk next time!

ONE OF MY FIRST electronic circuit books was clive sinclairs high powered transistor amplifiers 650 mW ABOUT 1962/63 OC 71/81 germanium Will have to find it somewhere in loft boxes . cant be many still about

High powered, 650 mW. Steady on. Dig it out, I bet it will be a lot of fun. We have to remember that in 1962 germanium semiconductors were the cold fusion of the day. My Dad remembers studying "the transistor" and asking the tutor what they were used for. The tutor replied (in about 1960) that they were essentially a research tool with no practical use but that in the future they might find their way into some aspects of electronics. Well, he was an optimist. Just like the US President who said that the telephone was an amazing invention, and one day there would be one in every town.

try this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0071848290/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
if you look you can get a pdf before you buy it

OK... above book ordered from UK; thank-you, gaz;
soldering station and multimeter purchased, thank-you, Julf;
& I just realised I have a repair project already waiting : one of my two JBL Digital 10 sub-woofer amplifiers is "not working" (I bought it that way) : instead of just wiring the sub speaker in series with the other one, I shall attempt to fix it.

After that, in gratitude to the wonderful people at pfm, I'd like to offer a free service to anyone's high-end amplification, Krell, Naim, especially Devialet.

You know it makes sense ;)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back