advertisement

I want to learn DIY electronics ...

High powered, 650 mW. Steady on. Dig it out, I bet it will be a lot of fun. We have to remember that in 1962 germanium semiconductors were the cold fusion of the day. My Dad remembers studying "the transistor" and asking the tutor what they were used for. The tutor replied (in about 1960) that they were essentially a research tool with no practical use but that in the future they might find their way into some aspects of electronics. Well, he was an optimist. Just like the US President who said that the telephone was an amazing invention, and one day there would be one in every town.

from memory it took several attempts on bakalite matrix board/tag strip . the soldering iron was like a tank..a one valve radio with headphones was the first circuit I built that work. it was the hobby that started my electrical/electronic career off

A small nugget for you.
The first thing you should make is a resistor bank to discharge capacitors. If you don’t discharge capacitors they can damage your test meter and in a power supply can destroy what ever the caps are connected to and dish you an unpleasant shock.
I think mine is four 5 watt wire wound 68R resistors in series.
And take your time: my voyager power supplies take up to 30 seconds to discharge to zero volts and some capacitors seem to have the ability to reacquire a charge without being connected to power.
Have fun. Most of us started as complete novices. Some of have got further than others. I am still far from the levels of knowledge some forum members have and are willing to share.
Cheers Andy.

ONE OF MY FIRST electronic circuit books was clive sinclairs high powered transistor amplifiers 650 mW ABOUT 1962/63 OC 71/81 germanium Will have to find it somewhere in loft boxes . cant be many still about

Ah, yes, similar to my first project which was taken from the output stage of a Decca portable radio circa 1961. I didn`t have the OC72s so used OC84s instead, worked a treat, unlike the rest of the radio which never really did - I learnt two important lessons, layout is important with radios and avoid RF if possible.

I used a chassis bent up from a piece of aluminium my Grandfather got for a never built one valve radio from before the war.

My first effort was a two valve TRF radio, DF96/DL96, very simple and ran off a 1.5Volt cell and 90Volt battery. Long wire aerial and could actually pick up the Light service passably well. As the tuning was very crude night time listening meant you had a number of stations at the same time. Oh forgot to add was 9 at the time. been at it ever since.
Also for the OP, I can recommend 'Valve amplifiers' by Morgan Jones as a good read. Chapter 1 really covers clearly and simply most of what you'll need to get going.

My first effort was a two valve TRF radio, DF96/DL96, very simple and ran off a 1.5Volt cell and 90Volt battery. Long wire aerial and could actually pick up the Light service passably well. As the tuning was very crude night time listening meant you had a number of stations at the same time.

Excellent - I think I have some of those valves in my loft, if you are looking for spares........

My first effort was a two valve TRF radio, DF96/DL96, very simple and ran off a 1.5Volt cell and 90Volt battery. Long wire aerial and could actually pick up the Light service passably well. As the tuning was very crude night time listening meant you had a number of stations at the same time. Oh forgot to add was 9 at the time. been at it ever since.
Also for the OP, I can recommend 'Valve amplifiers' by Morgan Jones as a good read. Chapter 1 really covers clearly and simply most of what you'll need to get going.
from memory you could get a grid bias battery with tappings 1.5/3/4.5/6/9 volts...........winding the tuning coil with tapping on it was the first thing I did.. I took the radio to interview for my apprentice ship , one guy on panel was impressed

banned from school was a shocking coil I made, it gave a good kick with plunger in made the handles ,turned on lathe at school out of copper

advertisement

Back