advertisement

I quit cable TV

I got off the Sky subscription service when they tried to increase my bill. I don't really miss it, other than the football and F1 that I used to enjoy. I couldn't justify the costs. I wonder if these cost increases are their way of filling the cost void of those lost subscribers?

I reckon it's more like drug dealers; get the punters hooked, then bleed them dry. You'll lose a few 'recreational' customers that way, but the real addicts will continue to pay up.

I reckon it's more like drug dealers; get the punters hooked, then bleed them dry. You'll lose a few 'recreational' customers that way, but the real addicts will continue to pay up.

You're probably correct Joe. That's why they entice people in with the introductory offers, in the hope they get hooked!

Going to get a Roku and a HDTV antenna.

Move on...

Downgraded to TWC's broadcast package two years ago as only two OTA channels are recievable in my area. Bought an Apple TV and enjoying what I want vs what I'm given. Saved 90% on my monthly bill as well.

F em.

We are similar to you and have lowest form of cable we can get for the local channels due to being up against the mountains. Digital tv packages are silly money for what they provide. I tried one of those flat HDTV antennas to try to ditch cable TV altogether. But it didn't pick up the lowest bands and so not NBC, ABC, etc., just the shopping and religious channels in the higher bands. We have an ATV and did have netflix but after a while got bored with that. THere's a fair amount of on demand stuff I can stream from my phone to the ATV (PBS for example). I'm thinking of getting Amazon Prime for a while which has thousands of movies and can stream iPhone->ATV. No app for the ATV but roku does, so may pick up one of those if it works out.

I have Virgin. I've just received a letter telling me that my services will increase by £4.50 at the end of Jan. Goodbye Virgin.

Same here. I'm out of contract anyway so i'll be having a chat with the disconnections dept about the price rise.

Going to get a Roku and a HDTV antenna.

Move on...

I'll be interested to learn how you get on. I'm preparing to do the same. I've got an indoor HDTV active antenna, and the picture quality for the channels it gets is quite a bit better than what comes over the cable, but I can't get the PBS stations with the antenna.

So I guess my main concern is what the Roku PBS service is like? Is it just the same content that can be streamed from their web site?

I've just remembered we're on Virgin's M TV service which they tell me is like freeview so is effectively free. By the magic of contracts the cost of the phone line and the broadband have about gone up by about 50% in 5 years...... but the TV part is still free ;)

I've got an indoor HDTV active antenna, and the picture quality for the channels it gets is quite a bit better than what comes over the cable...
Same experience in Seattle. My friend dropped cable in April. Much better picture with a HDTV antenna vs digital cable.

So I guess my main concern is what the Roku PBS service is like? Is it just the same content that can be streamed from their web site?
I just wrote an email to my friend who has a Roku. More later...

jonathan.

you have just won this (t-shirt) for your prediction:

vuk.

Vuk

Can I have the shorts instead?

(I've been working out)

Jonathan

Those that are saying "Goodbye Virgin", what are you doing in 2014 as an alternative?
(My service is going up by £2.50 so I must be on a more basic deal than you high rollers with the £4.50 increase).

I'm only on the M tariff but they want another £4.50 a month. I just can't believe the sheer greed of these companies. So what am I going to do when I've given Virgin the boot? Well we all have mobile phones so we don't need the landline. I'm happy with Freeview and I have an aerial up anyway so no probs. I have a dish so I'll probably do Freesat too. Internet is going to be the main issue. Our phones all have 3G and whilst far from perfect I only go on a few forums and send a few emails. I believe I can tether my phone to my computer so I need to find out about that. I've seen something about a sim card or a dongle in a wifi hub thing so that needs looking at. Yes I know it's going to be inconvenient whilst I get things sorted out but I've had enough of having my pants pulled down. I can always reinstate the BT phone line if all else fails though I'd rather not. Oh and the Sky fella's been round touting for business but that means reinstating the BT phone line........

I just wrote an email to my friend who has a Roku. More later...
From my email---

Question: Does the PBS app have POV, Frontline, the NewsHour, American Experience, NOVA, Charlie Rose, etc?

Answer: Yes and much more.

From my email---

Question: Does the PBS app have POV, Frontline, the NewsHour, American Experience, NOVA, Charlie Rose, etc?

Answer: Yes and much more.

Do they run News Hour live, or do you have to wait for it?

Do they run News Hour live, or do you have to wait for it?
My buddy:

"Seem to have all of them going back 1 month. I don't know how quickly they are posted. They are on-demand so you can watch them whenever."

So, what is the alternative to cable if, like me, there is no way you'll have Sky .
Frankly, there is just so much rubbish on television I don't really require extra channels.
If I lived on my own I wouldn't have a TV...

Freeview/Freesat.

Moved to freesat a few years back, one of the best things I have done.. Recently got Netflix and works well for me.

We now have Lovefilm and Netflix streaming accounts. I'm seriously considering ditching terrestrial TV altogether.

I have to say I'm really not very impressed by Netflix. I have allowed my trial to run in to being a subscription but only because I want to catch up on a few TV series that I either missed or never came over to the UK. For films it's a bit rubbish in all honesty, or at least I dislike the layout as I can't just browse for a film unless I know the name. Plus it has limited genres.

I'll be cancelling it as soon as I've caught up on the series.

I have to say I'm really not very impressed by Netflix. I have allowed my trial to run in to being a subscription but only because I want to catch up on a few TV series that I either missed or never came over to the UK. For films it's a bit rubbish in all honesty, or at least I dislike the layout as I can't just browse for a film unless I know the name. Plus it has limited genres.

I'll be cancelling it as soon as I've caught up on the series.

Having forked out for an apple-tv box, I took out the Netflix subscription as well. Film choice is a bit meh, granted, but I find it worth every single penny not just for the ability to catch up on several series worth of Dexter, but to do so with no adverts whatsoever. In all honesty, even with the limited menu of offerings, it has put me right off terrrestial tv - and Sky with its hefty subscription fee plus 15-20 minutes per hour of bloody advertising (even with Sky plus). Bit of a game changer on that front I find.

advertisement

Back