Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

I like these caps !

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by istari_knight, Apr 15, 2013.

1. istari_knight

istari_knight pfm Member

[​IMG]

I'm talking about Panasonic "for audio" AM series [blue/silver] available from Farnell at very reasonable prices compared to the likes of Silmic's etc... This is the first time I've used them, they are in the output stage & phono preamp. Seem pretty good IMO.

Anyone else tried them ? Theres very little opinion on the net about them which is odd as the FC/FM series are well regarded - Maybe Panasonic messed up pricing them too low for audiophile street cred :confused:

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/319799.pdf

Bonus point if you can tell me what the amplifier is ;):cool:

[​IMG]

2. John_73

John_73 pfm Member

Looks very similar to an Arcam Alpha 3 I once owned! Is it an Arcam?

Thanks for the heads up on those caps - I'll give them a try for my P3A amp project.

John

3. darrylfunk

darrylfunk Banned

creek? or arcam like mr quad said...

4. jimmytwos

jimmytwos pfm Member

looks like an arcam alpha

5. misterc6

misterc6 Wasted and wounded, it ain’t what the moon did

Arcam Delta, maybe a Delta 60?

6. istari_knight

istari_knight pfm Member

Nailed it! A real bargain on the s/h market IMO... Fully recapped & OPA604's on order it already sounds like a completely different amplifier [a better one! :D]

The most shocking thing was the original Jamicon 10000uf caps measured 151uf on my meter & the 100uf Philips pre-reg caps measured 62uf but all the Rubycons were within 5%

7. misterc6

misterc6 Wasted and wounded, it ain’t what the moon did

...sssh, don't tell everyone!

Malcolm

psst! It's even worth buying faulty ones because the H & F transformer is almost always OK.

8. PigletsDad

PigletsDad My intelligence test came back negative.

Not tried, but I notice that there are some nice compact polypropylene types also made by Panasonic.

So a 250V 2.2uF part fits with 15mm lead spacing, and costs £1.09.

Farnell have them for example.

9. istari_knight

istari_knight pfm Member

Indeed, The secondaries are quite a useful voltage! ;)

This one came with a faulty relay [cost all of £5 to replace.] I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for more.

10. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

What are those fuses for? Get rid of them...Ughhhhh.

Seriously though, try bypassing them with some decent hook up wire and see how it sounds then.

11. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

They'll be so you don't fry the coils in your speakers....

12. istari_knight

istari_knight pfm Member

LOL. Thats alright thanks I don't mind fuses. Its electrolytics in the signal path that need removing.

13. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

I think fuses in the signal path sound worse than electrolytic caps:rolleyes: get rid I say if you need speaker protection fit a vellaman kit to the output.

Alan

14. istari_knight

istari_knight pfm Member

Seriously ?! In a laboratory grade amplifier maybe... Anyway, the fuses are staying.

15. Artioneer

Artioneer tripath walker

Another excellent/informative thread.

Does anyone know where to buy suitable OPA opamps ?

[​IMG]

16. Bemused

Bemused What's this all about then?

Wondering why the caps sit so high off the board and thinking of the inductance.
    What would it be around 10nH per cap.

17. john.luckins

john.luckins pfm Member

That could be to ensure HF stability given the completely unspecified 100kHz ESR of these caps in the linked datasheet. (It is specified on the FC and FM series)

18. istari_knight

istari_knight pfm Member

[​IMG]

Thats how every original cap was fitted so thats how the replacements went in...

19. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

Indeed, especially if you go for the 63V and 100V ones. Fine for coupling as well as decoupling, as long as they are polarised.

20. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

By that logic - put a cap across the fuse!