advertisement

I like these caps !

istari_knight

pfm Member
DSC01436_zps0a1a3648.jpg

I'm talking about Panasonic "for audio" AM series [blue/silver] available from Farnell at very reasonable prices compared to the likes of Silmic's etc... This is the first time I've used them, they are in the output stage & phono preamp. Seem pretty good IMO.

Anyone else tried them ? Theres very little opinion on the net about them which is odd as the FC/FM series are well regarded - Maybe Panasonic messed up pricing them too low for audiophile street cred :confused:

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/319799.pdf

Bonus point if you can tell me what the amplifier is ;):cool:

DSC014332_zpsfbc63054.jpg

Looks very similar to an Arcam Alpha 3 I once owned! Is it an Arcam?

Thanks for the heads up on those caps - I'll give them a try for my P3A amp project.

John

Arcam Delta, maybe a Delta 60?

Nailed it! A real bargain on the s/h market IMO... Fully recapped & OPA604's on order it already sounds like a completely different amplifier [a better one! :D]

The most shocking thing was the original Jamicon 10000uf caps measured 151uf on my meter & the 100uf Philips pre-reg caps measured 62uf but all the Rubycons were within 5%

Nailed it! A real bargain on the s/h market IMO... Fully recapped & OPA604's on order it already sounds like a completely different amplifier [a better one! :D]

...sssh, don't tell everyone!

Malcolm

psst! It's even worth buying faulty ones because the H & F transformer is almost always OK.

Not tried, but I notice that there are some nice compact polypropylene types also made by Panasonic.

So a 250V 2.2uF part fits with 15mm lead spacing, and costs £1.09.

Farnell have them for example.

Indeed, The secondaries are quite a useful voltage! ;)

This one came with a faulty relay [cost all of £5 to replace.] I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for more.

What are those fuses for? Get rid of them...Ughhhhh.

Seriously though, try bypassing them with some decent hook up wire and see how it sounds then.

I think fuses in the signal path sound worse than electrolytic caps:rolleyes: get rid I say if you need speaker protection fit a vellaman kit to the output.

Alan

Wondering why the caps sit so high off the board and thinking of the inductance.
What would it be around 10nH per cap.

Wondering why the caps sit so high off the board and thinking of the inductance.
What would it be around 10nH per cap.

That could be to ensure HF stability given the completely unspecified 100kHz ESR of these caps in the linked datasheet. (It is specified on the FC and FM series)

I'm talking about Panasonic "for audio" AM series [blue/silver] available from Farnell at very reasonable prices compared to the likes of Silmic's etc...

Indeed, especially if you go for the 63V and 100V ones. Fine for coupling as well as decoupling, as long as they are polarised.

advertisement

Back