advertisement

I am not an Audiophile (and never have been)

In my own opinion / experience it’s not that “proper” hi-fi is something amazing, it’s, rather, that the majority of music reproduction equipment is so very poor.

Really? First time I've read/heard/experienced that since 1964. Think if I had that experience I'd no longer be in the game. However and conversely, I'm still on a learning curve discovering new and exciting ways of presenting tangible recorded music and radio. The latest dicovery, oddly, whilst effectively downsizing in amplification.

The funny thing about the hobby is that it is fun listening to really cheap stuff too. I set my daughter up with an AR A60 and some original Diamonds which she plugs her phone into and my nephew with a Sony DD turntable, Creek amp and KEF speakers both systems costing less than £200. I could happily live with either. Then I get a lot of fun out of the 'big rig' a 1964 valve radiogram with a Gerrard turntable and sputnik legs! The turntable folds down in a wonderful way. (anyone know where to get a needle for it my wife just bust it?)

Really? First time I've read/heard/experienced that since 1964. Think if I had that experience I'd no longer be in the game. However and conversely, I'm still on a learning curve discovering new and exciting ways of presenting tangible recorded music and radio. The latest dicovery, oddly, whilst effectively downsizing in amplification.

I think you might be misunderstanding me (or I may have made my point badly) I'm not talking about what you might regard as "real hi-fi" (or even a basic separates system) not being good enough for the job but what passes for music reproduction equipment in general today - ie: what we hear in shops, restaurants and, (in my case, at least) the vast majority of friends houses (usually an ipod in a dock of some super exagerated bass port thing with a 2" speaker).

Then I get a lot of fun out of the 'big rig' a 1964 valve radiogram with a Gerrard turntable and sputnik legs! The turntable folds down in a wonderful way. (anyone know where to get a needle for it my wife just bust it?)

Likely a ceramic turn-over job of some description. You need to identify the cartridge and finding a replacement stylus should be possible. If not you can still get hold of complete ceramic carts easy enough as a lot of folk restore old Dansettes etc.

In my own opinion / experience it’s not that “proper” hi-fi is something amazing, it’s, rather, that the majority of music reproduction equipment is so very poor.

It seems odd to me that not wanting to listen to badly reproduced music is the exception and therefore, worthy of a label.
I'm in the opposite camp, most music reproduction equipment I have listened to is of very high quality, it's then down to the individual to choose accordingly, in line with personal tastes.
I can quite happily get involved in music through my little cheapo radio, while doing a little gardening in the summer months.

Edit, just read your post above, which makes more sense, I agree with the ipod dock, bass boom thingy, trully horrible sound IMO.

B&W 685 speakers also come to mind, all bass with little midrange, horrible things.

Likely a ceramic turn-over job of some description. You need to identify the cartridge and finding a replacement stylus should be possible. If not you can still get hold of complete ceramic carts easy enough as a lot of folk restore old Dansettes etc.

Thanks Tony.

The thread was touching on music , music of the more safe type. Jon Landau called him the future of rock and roll in 1974. The same journalist who wasn't very complimentary about Hendrix and Cream. That puts his taste in context for me.

I'm sure Springsteen will survive me saying his music is a bit bland (how else will it appeal to millions?). Since when does effort in a concert give it any more validity? Friends who saw the early Pistols gigs tell me about how life changing they were for them. It's a bit of each to their own. If you love Bruce Springsteen then good luck to you but his music isn't for me. I prefer a bit of innovation. I'm not so mainstream. How many of his millions are still convinced Born in the USA is about something different to what was intended. Does that make them Invalid fans?

Having by heard him recently on Desert Island discs and having met people I consider more of the future of rock and roll from 1974, Sparks, I know who I would rather have a drink with. I'm not a beer drinker either!

With all this Springsteen banter... I highly recommend both Springsteen lovers and haters (and those who are indifferent) check out the keynote address he gave at the South by Southwest Conference in Austin a few years back (google it). Puts the whole concept of "taste" in music into perspective.

As for this thread... very entertaining reading. I'm a music lover, but don't consider myself an audiophile. I do consider myself a bit of a gear head... but that doesn't apply only to music replay.

With all this Springsteen banter... I highly recommend both Springsteen lovers and haters (and those who are indifferent) check out the keynote address he gave at the South by Southwest Conference in Austin a few years back (google it). Puts the whole concept of "taste" in music into perspective.

As for this thread... very entertaining reading. I'm a music lover, but don't consider myself an audiophile. I do consider myself a bit of a gear head... but that doesn't apply only to music replay.

Thank you for the recommendation. What a great speech.

I am not an audiophile.

I am a gear headed music lover!

Pretentious moi?

Non!

I am not an audiophile.

I am a gear headed music lover!

Pretentious moi?

Non!

Music lover who appreciates the value of a good tool? Any better?

I like photography but don't consider myself a camera buff, despite having taken some time over the years to learn what gear works best in my hands, and making purchasing decisions accordingly.

advertisement

Back