advertisement

I am not an Audiophile (and never have been)

Nope, not so.

I have got friends who go all the time, quality of musical replay is irrelevant, it's the experience in the VIP bar that is the pull.

How gross
How sad

I don't notice much " pulling" going on at the RNCM or the Bridgewater Hall.
Anyway my kit has seen 3 changes since 1984. Like Mick I have the sound I want and prefer to spend my spare dosh on the real thing like a concert in Venice in 2 weeks and the annual Breton Festival des Vieilles Charrues in summer.

Why the need for labels, snobbery, inverse-snobbery, criticising the approach of others?

There are many types of people on here, some examples:

- Buy the most expensive because it must be the best
- Seek out the best VFM from a range of products to suit me
- Swap boxes to try and find the best
- Swap boxes as its fun to try stuff that's new to me and it helps expand my understanding of the subject
- I must find the cheapest way possible to get a good sound
- I listen to music on whatever it comes out of
- The boxes themselves are more interesting than the music
- I feel good because I spent a sensible amount and got a reasonable result
- I'm happy with what I've got and would like to share my advice
etc
etc
etc

All of these and more are valid and up to the individual. I don't understand the need to criticise or belittle any of the above. In fact the only type on here who needs criticism are those who think they are superior because they've chosen a particular path and think that makes them better than others. They're just sad.

Where is the inverted snobbery in enjoying what you like, regardless of price, surely this is far more beneficial in the long term than aiming for high end audio, I don't see this as inverted snobbery, just common sense.

If someone hears something costing 10 grand & enjoys it, thinks it's worth the extra outlay, nothing wrong with this, it's the thinking that, just because it's high end it's better, I find wrong...

The inverted snobbery thing relates to posts like your earlier one which was pretty dismissive of anybody who spent more than a few hundred quid on hifi.

The second part of the post above is one I can agree with, however, and says something quite different to your earlier post which Tony and I took issue with. I've heard high end priced stuff which sounded 'meh' to me, but I've also heard high end stuff which connected me to the music in a way budget kit hasn't, so you can't generalise as 'inexpensive = value, high-end = ripoff' because it just ain't that simple.

Indeed. I've not followed an upgrade path, or had a master plan, just tried a few things and ended up with two systems I'm happy with. No doubt I've spent more than I needed to have done, but over the 35 years or so I've been into hifi, it pales into insignificance compared with other outgoings.

Why the need for labels, snobbery, inverse-snobbery, criticising the approach of others?

There are many types of people on here, some examples:

- Buy the most expensive because it must be the best
- Seek out the best VFM from a range of products to suit me
- Swap boxes to try and find the best
- Swap boxes as its fun to try stuff that's new to me and it helps expand my understanding of the subject
- I must find the cheapest way possible to get a good sound
- I listen to music on whatever it comes out of
- The boxes themselves are more interesting than the music
- I feel good because I spent a sensible amount and got a reasonable result
- I'm happy with what I've got and would like to share my advice
etc

You missed another fairly common one:

- Tinker around with cables, supports, etc, to get better sound.

For some reason, this one is frowned upon more than any of the others.

None of the descriptions on the list are exclusive, either, it is perfectly possible to fit more than one category. But you know that already.

The inverted snobbery thing relates to posts like your earlier one which was pretty dismissive of anybody who spent more than a few hundred quid on hifi.

The second part of the post above is one I can agree with, however, and says something quite different to your earlier post which Tony and I took issue with. I've heard high end priced stuff which sounded 'meh' to me, but I've also heard high end stuff which connected me to the music in a way budget kit hasn't, so you can't generalise as 'inexpensive = value, high-end = ripoff' because it just ain't that simple.
There is no need to take issue when it's only a personal point of view, it's my point of view, which I am entitled to, as is Tony, I just stated that saying, why wouldn't anyone want to own high end audio, seems a more personal thing I feel, IME, and this is all I can go on, high end, as with budget gear has it's good & bad, hence, why say "who wouldn't want to own high end gear", well designed high end gear, yes, if it is good value for money to the buyer & enhances their enjoyment of music.
I feel I had every right to tackle such a blanket statement by Tony, you don't, that's fair enough but let's be honest, you take issue with everything i post if it doesn't fall in line with your way of thinking.

My suggestion would be, rather than focussing on every post I make & responding negatively to them, maybe, enjoy what is a great thread & please lighten up a little.

I don't know if you have noticed this, but you drag down every thread such as this to a negative level where you seem to dwell, not everyone is going to agree with you, the quicker you accept this, the better for everyone concerned.
I'm a positive person, I enjoy a little banter, a bit of fun sometimes, just place me on ignore if you are going to take issue with such posts as I will not be stopping any time soon to suit your personal needs.

IT'S A MARKETING CON !!! OPEN YOUR EYES...YOUR MINDS...& YOUR EARS FOLKS :D

If your spending 20 grand on your hifi, it's no longer about the music

Chris has it right IMO, he is, indeed, cleansed.

It may be your opinion, but it was expressed in a pretty aggressive, judgemental and inverse-snobbish way.

There is no need to take issue when it's only a personal point of view, it's my point of view <snip>

My suggestion would be, rather than focussing on every post I make & responding negatively to them, maybe, enjoy what is a great thread & please lighten up a little.

To be honest, far from focussing on every post you make, I tend to ignore most of them.

And what makes it a great thread is the fact that we have a lively discussion going, which doesn't happen when everybody agrees, does it?

So my advice would be for you to get over yourself and don't take it so personally when somebody says they disagree with you.

Edit: you added another paragraph having a further shot at me. All I would say is that you seem to have characterised the nature of my contributions to this forum rather unfairly, negatively and without justification. Your responses to me are, almost without exception, far more negative than the ones you complain so bitterly about. You seem a bit touchy. It's nothing personal, we just disagree about many things. Best get used to it, because I'm not putting anybody on ignore.

To be honest, far from focussing on every post you make, I tend to ignore most of them. And what makes it a great thread is the fact that we have a lively discussion going, which doesn't happen when everybody agrees, does it?

So my advice would be for you to get over yourself and don't take it so personally when somebody says they disagree with you.
Tedious

How do you think I feel, my thread title has been corrected. Also not even given the opportunity to pretend it was intentional humour:)

I have amended my original post to include the importance of live music.

Bloss

Nice one Chris

I think what I have always aimed for, is to recreate that feel of a live concert, at home, however this is achieved matters not but it is quite a challenge, I will personally never recreate the size & scale of a concert in my small listening room but the feel of the concert is achievable I have found, the involvement & energy I get when at a gig.
I have been lucky, I have achieved this on a tight budget.

I enjoy swapping stuff around, more a hobby than an aim for greater musical enjoyment, I have my musical enjoyment in place, I just enjoy listening to other stuff, usually to scratch an itch more than anything, I find it fun.

Nice one Chris

I think what I have always aimed for, is to recreate that feel of a live concert, at home, however this is achieved matters not but it is quite a challenge, I will personally never recreate the size & scale of a concert in my small listening room but the feel of the concert is achievable I have found, the involvement & energy I get when at a gig.
I have been lucky, I have achieved this on a tight budget.

I completely agree - it's not about fidelity, as such, so much as about recreating the feelings the music generated in you when you heard it live. Whatever route works for you is the right one and you can ignore anybody who tells you you have it wrong. But even if you are happy with your lot, it helps to remain open to new possibilities.

I completely agree - it's not about fidelity, as such, so much as about recreating the feelings the music generated in you when you heard it live.

And how about the 95% of modern popular music that could never be performed live in anywhere near the form it appears on a record?

Perhaps we should call it something else other than 'high fidelity'?
Keith
high fidelity is a general term & it has little to do with my personal journey with music, I stopped buying into it when I realised spending more & more, to achieve the unachievable, didn't bring me joy, i decided to search for a sound I did enjoy, the sound I had become accustomed when visiting a live show.

I much prefer live music to recorded studio music so I was on a different path to many who hanker for ultimate precision etc..i'm not searching for perfection, if the music moves me on a personal level i'm happy.
Tinkering with this & that is the icing on the cake, the small, personal improvements that matter to me.

I enjoy live music but it is inherently a quite different experience to listening to a recording - enjoying one does not mean you can't enjoy the other.

advertisement

Back