advertisement

I’m a little sod at times.

Ants are so small (in case you hadn’t noticed) that nothing will stop them getting into the house, the only satisfactory solution we have found is to decamp to a shady part of the rockery which they seem to dislike for 6 months of the year.
P.S. Tony, what do you use to feed Colin?

Such a variety of these creatures. Very old wood dwelling ones; the anteaks. The domestic renovation ones called anterior decorators. The Antipodean ones which move anti-clockwise and the ones which suffer an anti-climax when they fail. Not to mention their cold climate cousins which live in the Antarctic; they have antifreeze in their blood. One thing they're not, though, is antisocial. They are also anti-static; always moving.

TONY, I wonder if you ANTicipated the direction of the thread...:D

Last edited:
100h4u.jpg
That’s a remarkable pattern recognition defence, a predator would think there’s two animals there or it’s a bird with wings out.
Back to Tony’s OP- I thought the question about how to stop ants getting into your house was a joke- if they want in, they’re comin in!

Ant killer followed by silicone sealant has worked here. Our first notice of them in this house was when we came home on flying ant day and found our window covered in them. On the inside!

Don't spray ants: follow their trail to where they come from and use the white ant powder.
When I was a yoof, and we played with weedkiller bombs and rockets, laying a ring of the mixture around a nest and lighting it tended to get rid of them. at least that nest!

If you can work out where they are living and a means of flooding it with boiling water then it is surprisingly effective. I tried a few pesticides without great success and went to the old fashioned solution essentially because I was bored. I built a little dam with something, maybe only earth or sand, and poured the water in the crack. Went back later, did it again, maybe went back again after a day or two. They didn't come back.

But surely they enter your house via an ante-room.
Every Spring at the same time they came in to our utility room then followed established routes into the kitchen. I opened a package with cake in it and they were all over it. I actually like ants ,and don’t like having to poison them.

Ants are harmless and do a lot of useful clean-up in nature. That doesn't mean they can't be a nuisance if they get into the house, though. If they do, poisoning the point of entry is often enough to make them go elsewhere.

advertisement

Back