advertisement

Hypex Ncore - as good as all that?

Are these any better than a chip amp LM 3886?:confused:

Alan

Unless you are japanese and can put the chip amp in a magic ceramic pot, there is no comparison. None.

Chipamps are OK. Especially with good heatsinking and big battery supplies.

Ncore is competing in a different market.

Mark

Thank you all for the comments gentlechaps, I appreciate the pointers.

Because money is tight (and I have had a rare flash of sensibleness) I am going to have my amp-man stick with the NVA boards. It's not just the cost of the Ncores, the traffos are different voltages too.

However, you have definately got me thinking medium term now, and I am keen to build some Ncores sometime. If you hear of a second hand set for sale I'd appreciate a shout.

Thanks again! (quietly backs out of DIY room without touching anything).

Thank you all for the comments gentlechaps, I appreciate the pointers.

Because money is tight (and I have had a rare flash of sensibleness) I am going to have my amp-man stick with the NVA boards. It's not just the cost of the Ncores, the traffos are different voltages too.

However, you have definately got me thinking medium term now, and I am keen to build some Ncores sometime. If you hear of a second hand set for sale I'd appreciate a shout.

Thanks again! (quietly backs out of DIY room without touching anything).

I think you would deffo be better off waiting for a little bit longer to scrap some more cash together and sell those traffos.

N-core has blown pretty much everything I have thrown at it. You wont get any re-sell value on the the NVA's.

I just dug out a tiddly little Topping TP20 mk2 & connected it to my Impulse H2s. OMG!!! I would be very interested to try one of these N-CORE amps.

Could someone please point me to where I would buy the components?

l'm no DIYer & have no clue about electronics, but I can solder & will have a go. How big a task is it to assemble an N-CORE?

Thanks!

I notice actually they have a very handy looking transformer on clearance at the moment:

TR501A

- Input: 2x115VAC
- Output 1: 42-0-42VAC
- Output 2: 12-0-12VAC
- Output 3: 12-0VAC
- Power: 500VA

25 Euro excl vat. Sadly the postage is as much again! Maybe we could get a group buy going! I'm in for one and will happily contact them to see how many they have left if there's interest.

Just looking at the components. Am I correct in thinking that NC400 module is a Monobloc?

So would I need 2 x NC400 + 2 x SMPS600 for a Stereo set-up? :eek:

Just looking at the components. Am I correct in thinking that NC400 module is a Monobloc?

So would I need 2 x NC400 + 2 x SMPS600 for a Stereo set-up? :eek:

You can do that, or power two amp boards from one power supply. But yes the amp boards are mono.

You can do that, or power two amp boards from one power supply. But yes the amp boards are mono.

Thanks Yank

Yikes!!! they're not cheap for a DIY amp, are they!

Has anyone here actually built one? Or even heard one?

Thanks

Thanks Yank

Yikes!!! they're not cheap for a DIY amp, are they!

Thanks

They are pricy, but then the boards are fully assembled, there's not much DIY to it apart from finding a box to put it in. The production versions of the Ncore amps appear to all be in the over-$10,000 range.

They are pricy, but then the boards are fully assembled, there's not much DIY to it apart from finding a box to put it in. The production versions of the Ncore amps appear to all be in the over-$10,000 range.

When you put it like that...:D

MarkW of this parish has a set up and running, partially displacing his UCD180s to sub duties only. We were chatting about these over cars and petrol and a beer last w/end; a proper audition has to wait until when we've sorted out our next free coincident evening.

Not to steal his thunder, but Mark already has been running Hypex UCD180s since soon after their first release and updated since. I have to say the initial UCD180 build really didn't do it for me at here at home, but that was the first lash-up, years ago and the soggy/unrelated bass response may well have been down to the transformer -based Monica preamp Mark had pressed into service at the time. Since then and at home his UCD-based system wants for very, very little.

Now I'm told the Ncores are a 'get off the ladder' step forward and I've no reason to doubt it :) I'd love to try them with my H2s at some point.

(We could do with a PFM south-west play-day perhaps !)

I am sure Mr Clark will get to listen to my NCores pretty soon.

Meanwhile, I stand by my comments earlier in the thread. The Ncores work for me:D

They are - as someone else has pointed out - fully build (and very fetching they are) modules on a little metal chassis that acts as heatsink and support. I felt they got a little warm using just the base, so bought a couple of 4inch square finned heatsinks. Currently the amps just sit on top of these and that helps keep temps down. (You have to bear in mind these amps are capable of 400watts and although they are efficient because of the class D operation they still generate a few watts at idle. Compare to a 20watt class A amp and the Magnox cooling arrrangements required for comparison.)

Mark

I don't get the point of the little round modules though, unless they had the idea that someone would put them in a Lecson-style cylindrical enclosure?

advertisement

Back