advertisement

hummmmming toroidal transformers

Centre tapped transformers
After confusing myself with the centre tapped windings, I got it wired up correctly eventually.
The light bulb current limit worked a treat and helped me no blow up the AJ.
I've paralleled the bridge rectifiers and taken the 0V line from the CT.

Further plans
I'm on the lookout for another diyaudio psu board so I can make it dual mono.
I'll also be getting hold of some XLR 3 pin sockets so I can wire it up for balanced connection as my DAC has a balanced output, it'll be interesting if it makes a positive difference.

Verdict
My Tiger toroid is very red, next transformers will have the fabric wrap, but without the varnish. I'll see if I can have a transparent wrap with the lead out details under the wrap perhaps.
Now it's in and working very well. No hum and the SQ is as good as ever.

Last edited:
Glad all is up and running with good results, good work. I await with interest on your Duel PSU SQ results.

Dual PSU, wouldn't happen so quickly without your help on this, thanks for pitching in.
I've read conflicting reports on mono (dual) PSU. Most of the improvements are found with class AB amplifiers, but we'll see.

Another update
The transformer runs warm, about 35c after a few hours. There is also a little out-gassing from the epoxy which may bother some people. It's pretty low-level though.

Right.
I've unbolted it and disconnected the secondaries.
They are rated for 230V. 250VA each at 18-0-18V.

Incoming mains is 247-249V AC this afternoon at 50Hz.
I took the video in landscape mode, but YT has made it portrait :confused:

Here is a photo:
Good day
Dear @firestorm many suppliers of a toroidal transformers save a lot on the amount of copper wire in the first winding of the 230 volt network the hum can also be caused by the mechanical freedom of the transformer magnetic circuit.
Anyway I talked with a manufacturer of good transformers who has been making them for over 20 years according to him, the drone is a poorly made transformer

advertisement

Back