advertisement

hummmmming toroidal transformers

Update

It arrived this afternoon, super quick manufacture by Tiger Toroids.
Looks pretty.
  • Designed for low noise
  • Multi-tap primary which allows for 220,230,240,250V (In reality 0, 10V, 230V, 250V taps)
  • 2 x 18-0-18
  • Rated for 450VA on an oversize core allowing for more primary winding
  • GOSS band
  • Electrostatic screen
  • Centre-potted
  • Varnished windings
  • 4.8Kg
  • Very red
Looking forward to replacing the existing toroids.

Update

Looks pretty.
  • Designed for low noise
  • Multi-tap primary which allows for 220,230,240,250V (In reality 0, 10V, 230V, 250V taps)
  • 2 x 18-0-18
  • GOSS band
  • Electrostatic screen
  • Centre-potted
  • Varnished windings
  • 4.8Kg
  • Very red

Wow.... Looks like it's made from recycled Ferrari.

Great that it's arrived. That should stop the amp moving slowly by itself, like a hovercraft on autopilot.

I was expecting it to be orange and white striped

background-image-vertical-lines-and-stripes-seamless-tileable-dark-orange-white-22rdjw.png

I haven't managed to work this one out - why orange and white stripes?

Update

Looks pretty.
  • Designed for low noise
  • 2 x 18-0-18
  • GOSS band
  • Electrostatic screen
  • Centre-potted
  • Varnished windings
  • 4.8Kg
  • Very red
Looks like a steroids/red hot version of the transformer of my Exposure 4 mk2 dual mono! Seems promising..........

Here's an Avondale AST 540VA used on NCC300's amp note the primaries 0-120v 0-120v they are totally silent in operation.

Interesting to see separate secondaries for the two channels power stage, but a shared secondary for the front ends. Looks like Les's speaker protection and soft start run at 24V.

(I'm assuming this is used in the stereo NCC300 in the NAP250 case)
(EDIT; nope, that uses a shared PSU for the twin NCC300, both power and FE stages)

BugBear

Update
Before fitting the new transformer, I thought I'd wire up to the mains, check for humming, the secondary voltages and play with the taps.

You'll all be glad to hear - absolutely no hum I could hear (with my ear touching the transformer) or feel on any of the taps, that's 220,230,240 an 250v.
The output ranges from 34.5v to 40.5v AC (across 18 - 18V secondary taps, there is a 0V too) this is with incoming mains at 245V AC.

I haven't connected it to a load yet. I'll be using the 240V tap.

I reckon it'll need CJ14's test rig to detect anything.

I'll be ordering toroidal transformers from Stephen at Tiger Toroids for future projects.
(May be he'll do ones with black and orange stripes :)

Update
Before fitting the new transformer, I thought I'd wire up to the mains, check for humming, the secondary voltages and play with the taps.

You'll all be glad to hear - absolutely no hum I could hear (with my ear touching the transformer) or feel on any of the taps, that's 220,230,240 an 250v.
The output ranges from 34.5v to 40.5v AC (across 18 - 18V secondary taps, there is a 0V too) this is with incoming mains at 245V AC.

I haven't connected it to a load yet. I'll be using the 240V tap.

I reckon it'll need CJ14's test rig to detect anything.

I'll be ordering toroidal transformers from Stephen at Tiger Toroids for future projects.
(May be he'll do ones with black and orange stripes :)

Or green :p

Just for info :)
I spoke to Stephen at Tiger Toroid and he told me that the cores that he uses for Audio application are specifically sourced to have:-
low flux density, Laminate soaked in a bath of resin, capillary action draws the resin through the laminate's then it is baked, Stephen also applied nearly double primary windings to ensure a silent transformer.
There is also an electrostatic screen between primary and secondary windings and a Goss band around the finished transformer to reduce the radiated magnetic field.
Alan

Last edited:
Time for an update
I've had my Tiger toroid audio special for a few weeks now; been busy with loads of other things.

Problem with phasing
Found some time fit the new trafo into my Aleph J today. I specced up my transformer with 2 x centre taps windings instead of separate windings, so I've been confusing myself on how to connect it to dual bridge rectifiers. (18-0-18 and 18-0-18)
Then I realised that I need to know the phase of the windings which are not marked (it's usually a dot on the start of the winding on circuit diagrams), so I needed to determine that. I needed to put them in parallel as the same psu board serves both channels, I may see if I can get hold of another and make it dual mono.

Cheap current limit
By measuring the PD across windings I could determine whether they were in or out of phase. I still wasn't confident so I wired in a trusty 40W incandescent bulb in series with the AC in to current limit and soft start the transformer.
Worked out ok so far, so I'll be connecting it all up. Wish me luck.

I got the DIY bug again and decided I needed a decent Class AB amplifier to go with the Aleph J. So enter the Hackernap, modules built by Ramona in Greece.
I'll be starting a new thread for those. I'm going to see if I can build it in a shoebox sized aluminium case. I've already got a pair of Tiger audio special trafos for them with FE windings etc.

advertisement

Back