advertisement

Howto: TeddyCap

Great thread here about the subject as there are also a few others. I've been looking at a few options for a Pre-Power supply.

Jamadlavy - Your TeddyCap uses inductors instead of resistors. Any reason for this. In a previous response someone made a comment about using resistors for lower current needs... Did you happen to use resistors in your tests?

Cheers,
M

Here's a genuine question.

What is it about Tants that make them sound 'bouncy' is it anything we can point to on a scope. Because i've found it to be true many times. DO they ring, overshoot, what is it..

Your TeddyCap uses inductors instead of resistors. Did you happen to use resistors in your tests? M

I started with inductors because I was following the concept used in avondale's cap6 but after teddys comments above, I also tried using 0.47R resistors instead.

My findings are that I prefer inductors. Even if the difference is very small in listening tests, I found that in the long run I was literally falling asleep while listening to music with the resistors in place. As soon as I re-installed the inductors (after about 10 days) the music started to grab my attention again and now keeps me listening even late at night, sometimes way too late for my own good....

I think the resistors gave slightly better timbral accuracy but the difference is marginal.

I also tried using wire links in place of either resistors or inductors but this ended-up being the solution I liked the least. There was a bit of harshness to the sound (in comparison) that annoyed me.

These tests were conducted with the teddycap powering an almost standard 102. I'd be interested to know if others had the same findings...

Eric

Eric,

Thanks. Meant to get back to you sooner and have been away from a screen. Sounds cool, believe I'm going to give it a go soon.

M

I believe I'm going to go with a 3Cap, Inductor Route using TeddyRegs but still am not sure about the transformer. I need this to power a 32.5. So two rails. I'm a bit unsure whether I should go with a split-bobbin, RCore, or Toroid. It looks that I'm going to go with a toroid. Is there an advantage with using dual secondaries or single winding? Also saw few comments on 100VA but saw somewhere that 50VA was plenty.

Cheers
M

The TeddyReg is relatively insensitive to the source, especially if you use the suggested RCRCRC configuration. Any transformer above 50VA will do the work, and you can use either a bridge or a diode pair (half bridge). Transformer can be of any type.

Using better transformer, or better transformer configuration will only provide marginal improvements. Simpler designs like the HiCap are much more sensitive and will surely benefit from large capacitors, large transformers, better diodes etc.

On the TeddyCaps that I'm selling I'm usually using split bobbin with a pair of Schottky diodes, but it's just because I'm trying to go to the extreme, it's not really necessary.

This may be a silly n00b question, but would the same RCRCRC configuration work well for the powerreg boards?

Another excellent thread. I've probably learned more about electronics from these threads than I ever did from college ;-). Certainly more useful stuff.

This may be a silly n00b question, but would the same RCRCRC configuration work well for the powerreg boards?

Another excellent thread. I've probably learned more about electronics from these threads than I ever did from college ;-). Certainly more useful stuff.

Page 1 of this thread!

Inductors can work but they are more suitable for power amps where resistors cannot be used. For pre amps, better use resistors.

Another advantage of this design is that you don't need huge transformers, a 50VA will be good enough. Large capacitors with low ESR require large transformers to charge them, here if you use small capacitors you don't need it.

Bottom line: smaller in size, costs less, and performs better...

Teddy

So use inductors for your PowerReg boards.

Hi Teddy,
Slight OT question. Is it wise to use 1 pos & neg teddy reg to feed
say 2 op amps ?

Thank again for your advice

Teddy,
I was going to power my Starfish with local Teddy regs, but i'm now a bit concerned because of the problems James evans had with his CDP.

Is your 102 powered with local Teddy regs?

If i do go ahead with it, i was thinking about removing the 27R and 47uf power rail decoupling caps. Do you think it's worth removing them?

The Starfish has so many regulators that it makes experimenting hard work.

Yes, I'm using the TeddyRegs to power the 102 and it works a thrill. The problems that james had a re probably related to op-amps with low current consumption and in this case a load resistor is required. This is not the case for the 102 in which each circuit consumes at least 10mA.

My 102 has a gyrator for evry resitor that is connected to the power supply, that is more than 20 local regulators...

Yes, you should remove the 27R 47uF for best results.

Thanks for the reply Teddy.
It's going to take me a while to build and fit all these regulators. . . . . I'll report back (In the Starfish thread)

Matt,

ditto - my plan as well. I have got a bunch of Superregs to change to 12v operation for my symmetrical Starfish and want to compare with teddyregs.....going to keep me busy for a while!

Matt,

ditto - my plan as well. I have got a bunch of Superregs to change to 12v operation for my symmetrical Starfish and want to compare with teddyregs.....going to keep me busy for a while!

I'll look forward to your opinion on the Teddy vs ALW regs.
My Starfish has far too much bass and i'm pretty sure it's caused by the 56uf Oscons i chose for decoupling (that'll teach me for straying from the BOM!)
The other problem is a slightly annoying high frequency noise. It's not obvious but on extended listening, it gets on my nerves.
Hopefully, removing the decoupling caps and fitting Teddy regs will sort both problems out.

The TeddyCap is much less sensitive to the capacitors than the HiCap, you can use anything without much difference.

Hi guys, what manufacture would would you recommend for the 22 - 47uF capacitors.
I understand Teddy implies the TeddyRegTM is insensitive to power supply, but as there is little cost with such small caps I may as well go best... maybe ?
Many thanks
Tony

oops Teddy seems to have answered whilst I was posting
________
Avandia class action lawsuit

advertisement

Back