advertisement

How often do you clean the insides of your amps

Vitus , All solid state, no vents, so in theory insides clean. Unfortunately nothing is airtight and I had a large maine coon cat that liked sleeping under heat sinks.
Maybe I will take lid off and check, lots of bolts though.

The hifi gear never to rarely. My desktop pcs now and then. They seem to attract lots of fluff. I use a Datavac Electric Duster which is far better than aerosols and lasts a life time and contains no gases

I don't ever do it, unless I have to take the case off to fix a fault, then I will clean out the dust before I put it back together.

My Quad ESL's are apparently dust magnets (read electrostatic) by nature, so much so that they have (had) a dust seal fitted by Quad (Peter Walker).

I have removed this this.

Does this present an issue ?

No.

I have not opened up the lid of any amp or equipment so I haven't cleaned the insides of the amps that I've owned or currently own. It will depend if the amp has air vents at the top since dust or fine particles can only enter via the vents.

My Luxman has air vents at the top and bottom so I used a small towel to cover the vents when I'm not listening. I have to admit I'm quite concerned on dust entering the amps and affecting sound quality or reliability in the long run. I also cover my speakers since they don't come with fabric grilles but fixed metal grilles instead.

In some sense, I appreciate amps that do not come with air vents such as Naim, Sonneteer etc. Unfortunately they don't sound as good :D

IMG-20220203-105506.jpg

IMG-20220203-105429.jpg

Does it have a cooling fan....every 6 months.
No fan but vents...years, goverened by a quick squint through said vents.
No fan & no vents...out of sight is out of mind so clean it when I fix it!

All i can say is that its lifted a veil from my Dusty Springfield tunes :), plus i had my waders on when i washed it out so was safe.

I bought a second hand amp off eBay that was producing quite a high dc offset. It was fine after I cleaned it out and removed the toenail clippings.

My Krell FPB600 has 32 screws holding the top on.
Seems Mr. D’agastino didn’t want idiots like me taking the lid off.
Runs at about 60C , so maybe burns off any dust !

advertisement

Back