advertisement

How much??!!

“We are the only LS3/5a manufacturer that sources all parts and components in the UK and EU to give the best quality and consistency possible”,

"It sports US-made Ohmite NI Audio Gold resistors"

??

So what's made in the EU? My bet is that the cabinets are made in Romania.

They're lovely looking things, the leather case is a nice touch, but I'm struggling to see how he can be so sure they sound better than the stock version without playing them back to back in the same system one after the other. All of the subtle differences he lists are the sorts of things that could easily result from small changes in the listening room or system. Or mood and time of day!

But hey, I'm just delighted that Falcon are building these Kef drive units again, good news for Isobarik users.

LS3/5a market has long gone crazy money for a highly compromised product.
Compromised for complex, dynamic music, definitely. They weren't designed to be domestic hi-fi speakers: they were a specialized mobile broadcast monitor that happened to have some attributes attractive to certain audiophiles. Personally, I love their remarkable phase coherence.

Many seem to mention the cost of LS3/5a with scorn, though the issue reminds me of a lovely Alexi Sayle joke from many years ago:
"Someone said to me the other day, 'lex, why are you drunk all the time. So I told him, because I can afford to be" :)

I bought my pair of Falcons new because I thought they were worth it. And every time I play them, I still do.

“We are the only LS3/5a manufacturer that sources all parts and components in the UK and EU to give the best quality and consistency possible”,

"It sports US-made Ohmite NI Audio Gold resistors"

??

So what's made in the EU? My bet is that the cabinets are made in Romania.

They're lovely looking things, the leather case is a nice touch, but I'm struggling to see how he can be so sure they sound better than the stock version without playing them back to back in the same system one after the other. All of the subtle differences he lists are the sorts of things that could easily result from small changes in the listening room or system. Or mood and time of day!

But hey, I'm just delighted that Falcon are building these Kef drive units again, good news for Isobarik users.
The cabinets are made in Italy.

I bought a pair of Stirling LS3/5a's out of respect they had in the community.
In my 5mx5m room they were terrible at that price.
I think Tony explained that they do shine in smaller rooms as they were meant to handle voice in outside broadcast vans.
When I used them as rears in a surround sound setup they were fine as, I think, Audyssey and much larger fronts, Isobariks, made up for it.

No doubt, in regular, 2nd hand or exotic versions are really too expensive.

These posts are getting boring now. Nobody is holding a gun to anyone’s head. If you don’t think they’re value for money vote with your wallet. If you have the money, like the LS3/5a and like the finishes on offer then fill your boots.

Cheers BB

To be fair there's lots of hifi nowadays that's in the WTF! Lol price range but that's just a sign of the times and lottery winners aside is relative in context of how much someone 'earns' for the 'work' they get paid for.

Rich people who don’t listen to anything with bass. I play drums and I can’t imagine these could reproduce drums with any reality. What music can be listened to on these as I can’t thing of anything that doesn’t have at least some component of bass that goes beyond these. Reminds me of the 80s fads with linn stuff and the audiolab amps.

To be fair there's lots of hifi nowadays that's in the WTF! Lol price range but that's just a sign of the times and lottery winners aside is relative in context of how much someone 'earns' for the 'work' they get paid for.
I agree Darren but I don’t begrudge other people buying it, I enjoy reading about it and occasionally hearing it. There is lots of kit I wouldn’t buy on VFM grounds. I have lots of WTF moments, often though this kit can be negotiated down on you see it vastly reduced when it’s still sat in showrooms, like the Naim TT. Just saw ATC20a Anniversary edition announced, they look fantastic but at 10K a throw they’re way beyond me, I’d love to see someone on here buy some and report back, I’d be really happy if they loved them, I wouldn’t be telling them they’d been ripped off. It’s a hobby, it’s for the enjoyment of music, faffing about with kit and pride of ownership.

Cheers BB

I wonder if they'll be on demo at Munich, if so I'll have a listen out of curiosity (no intention of changing my silly price speakers any time soon).

The standard silver pair are my favourite ever speakers bar none. Not sure why they changed to the gold after that as the silvers were supposed to be as true to the original as possible.

Rich people who don’t listen to anything with bass. I play drums and I can’t imagine these could reproduce drums with any reality. What music can be listened to on these as I can’t thing of anything that doesn’t have at least some component of bass that goes beyond these. Reminds me of the 80s fads with linn stuff and the audiolab amps.
Out here in KL, my neighbour beneath me liked Chinese Opera. LS3/5As sound good with that.

Falcon products are no longer available in the US. They stopped selling them here when they discontinued their relationship with Mobile Fidelity a year or more ago. Of course, supply and demand dictates that used Falcon LS3/5As are going for silly prices right now. Hopefully that will end if/when they get their act together and products become available over here again.

Whilst people are perfectly entitled to pay a lot of money for what they like, I don't think there's any harm in these threads as it's probably a new product that may be of interest to people who are shocked at the price or are keen to buy them.

As it's fairly obvious from the thread title - click bait? - it would be best not to read it if it's not of interest to you.

Whilst people are perfectly entitled to pay a lot of money for what they like, I don't think there's any harm in these threads as it's probably a new product that may be of interest to people who are shocked at the price or are keen to buy them.

As it's fairly obvious from the thread title - click bait? - it would be best not to read it if it's not of interest to you.
Well I started the thread out of general interest in a speaker I've known, in basic form, since the early 80s. It was merely to draw attention to this new model, since there have been several related threads here.
Personally I got LS3/5as out of my system (literally and metaphorically) by 1990, but I understand the fascination. I've only once since then heard them in pure form - a recent Rogers model at one of the shows about 6 or 7 years ago, in a small room where they did all the things well that I remember. Since then I've only heard them either with subs (Rogers) or stacked (Falcon).

advertisement

Back