advertisement

How much POWER do you have?

Your main amp provides... (per channel, RMS)

• less than 10 watts

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 10 - 20 watts

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • 21 - 50 watts

Votes: 27 11.7%
  • more than 50 watts

Votes: 179 77.8%

• Total voters
I well understand the difference between a transient peak and average level. I have 90 watts per channel into 89dB speakers and have never approached maximum level, I prefer to listen to the music rather than vibrate ornaments off the mantlepiece but whatever is right for you is right for you.

Thats probably it in a nutshell. However different rooms demand different speakers some providing a more difficult load to drive. My own speakers have 7 drivers plus a passive resonator each and spend a lot of time around 2 Ohms in the important treble region. I would think that most HiFi amplifiers would find such a low load difficult to drive cleanly.

However other speakers can get by on a lot less umph. However if the amp can't handle those transients then you'll either get them clipped and/or fast rising edges 'smoothed out' possibly leading to a softer and less dynamic sound.

Its worth a listen if you get the opportunity. I'm on the SE coast if you are ever passing my way.

BTW it would be interesting to see what speakers are being driven by those PFMers that are using >200wpc.

Cheers,

DV

Thats probably it in a nutshell. However different rooms demand different speakers some providing a more difficult load to drive. My own speakers have 7 drivers plus a passive resonator each and spend a lot of time around 2 Ohms in the important treble region. I would think that most HiFi amplifiers would find such a low load difficult to drive cleanly.

However other speakers can get by on a lot less umph. However if the amp can't handle those transients then you'll either get them clipped and/or fast rising edges 'smoothed out' possibly leading to a softer and less dynamic sound.

Its worth a listen if you get the opportunity. I'm on the SE coast if you are ever passing my way.

BTW it would be interesting to see what speakers are being driven by those PFMers that are using >200wpc.

Cheers,

DV

I suspect that you are right about speaker impedance, it probably has much more effect than most people realise, especially with amplifiers that are specified for 4 ohms but really only designed for 8 ohms. I also suspect we differ on 'ideal' speakers, I would have quad ESLs if I had a suitable room and project approval - you possibly not?

I well understand the difference between a transient peak and average level. I have 90 watts per channel into 89dB speakers and have never approached maximum level, I prefer to listen to the music rather than vibrate ornaments off the mantlepiece but whatever is right for you is right for you.

If that is a euphemism then I'd opt for the latter every time.:)

I'm always disappointed Darth doesn't reply with this...

The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of "the force" and my Meridian amplifiers!

360 watts per side*. Damping factor = 1000 and peak current = 80 amps, according to the manual. Not sure what the peak current figure actually means though, for something drawing current through a 20 amp circuit breaker. Reckon the voltses is probably important in there somewhere. Seems to sound ok, regardless.

*into 8 ohms.

360 watts per side*. Damping factor = 1000 and peak current = 80 amps, according to the manual. Not sure what the peak current figure actually means though, for something drawing current through a 20 amp circuit breaker. Reckon the voltses is probably important in there somewhere. Seems to sound ok, regardless.

*into 8 ohms.

It comes from the energy stored in your reservoir capacitors and perhaps limited through the output trannies. My amps deliver 150A into 1 Ohm. Hey I've got a bigger willy!

Cheers,

DV

I'm always disappointed Darth doesn't reply with this...

The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of "the force" and my Meridian amplifiers!

Actually I am not waving a flag for the 559 and I stumbled upon them by chance on PFM looking for a Dynavector HX1.2. After reading the thread I managed to find one immediately although they are quite rare and was amazed by the performance. So I had an itch to scratch as in 'would bridged 559s sound better'. Um you bet not half. For the s/h price they are a bargain.

Different people have had different experiences with the 559 (usually in apartments rather than in my bigger detached house) but one high-end dealer who came to the Death Star said 'I wouldn't change anything'.

Unfortunately I am thinking of moving them on. Not because of the fantastic performance but at 42Kg each and me now going on to 68 can no longer lift them. I am concerned than if something happens to me my wife will have a big problem with this kit.

Cheers,

DV

...and peak current = 80 amps, according to the manual. Not sure what the peak current figure actually means though, for something drawing current through a 20 amp circuit breaker.
The transformer in your amp multiplies the amps and divides the volts. Plus the short term boost from the reservoir caps.

Paul

So Tenson, what have you gleaned so far?

That the need for a high efficiency speaker is smaller than I originally thought.

That said, perhaps the necessity for a high efficiency speaker doesn't equate to desire.

I was considering making something like a 3-way large standmount with ~93dB sensitivity. Kind of Harbeth M40, but smaller and more sensitive.

advertisement

Back