advertisement

How many SqueezeBox Touch users in the forum

I guess I should have started this thread as a poll,but did not know how to. We can guess approx at least everyone who replied has a SBT,with DAC and or extra PSU, some have duets and radios too. So 80 or more SBTs so far. When I have time I can try and tot them all up and post the results

SBT connected straight into tunned Nad 3020i feeding Monitor Audio Studio 20SE.

Radio is so-so, but my files in lossless flac are superb.
First month was a nightmare with setup and software updates, but now is running smoooooth....

I'm running a Touch through a CA DacMagic via QED coaxial. Standard PSU but looking to upgrade at some point.
Spotify was a pain to set up to work properly but sorted thanks to some helpful chaps on here :D

One SBT into Audiolab 8200AP, bog standard analogue bypass on the processor sounds pretty good too.

Will add a radio to the kitchen and bedroom when they're on offer again.

Added a radio to the bedroom and absolutely love it, will add one to the kitchen soon :cool:

Only just got mine, but the idea will be

Files on NAS w/LMS > SBT w/EDO + John Swenson DIY PSU > ART Legato II (when I get it) > NAD M51 > Linkwitz Plutos v2.1 (when the things are finished being built!), currently using Focal CMS monitors.

That is then controlled by iPeng on the iPad. The NAS and SBT are connected to a gigabit switch directly which in turn is connected to the modem/router downstairs.

5 Touches, one in feeding into Audiolab Mdac on main stereo set up, 2 radios, and Squeezeplay on all PC's and laptops. FLAC's all on QNAP nas with squeezeserver.

Bought and sold a touch in a week.
Sounded bloody awfull into the dac of my supernait via coaxial, and I had done all of soundcheck's tweaks. So back to using my uniti as a source 'till I re-evaluate a streaming solution.

I didn't like the SBT out of the box either, nor with Soundcheck's toolkit using his defaults. Logitech's default value for the buffer is 20000 and to me the bass sounds slow and ponderous. Soundcheck's value is 3400 and the notes sound stilted. I've mentioned my preferred settings above. Disabling some of the hardware cleans up the sound, but I also disable Soundcheck's priority changes - these seem to add coloration and interfere with the timing of higher notes.

Mine just sounded thin and reedy with no focus or imaging, the supernait dac is supposed to be ok too.

I have an SBT here that I initially used with a Twisted Pear Buffalo 1 DAC. After a small 'accident' I used the internal DAC for some time, definitely inferior to the Buffalo 1. Since about one month I have an MDAC and after one evening I could easily conclude that it has much more detail than the Buffalo. (Unfortunately I have never heard the Buffalo 3).

I must add to this that the comparison is not completely fair because in the mean time I switched to a linear supply with S-booster and changed a few capacitors for better ones.

Athough my MDAC is probably still not fully broken in yet the sound is fabulous. One thing that I notice is that it must be switched on for half an hour before it reaches full sound quality. Does this effect disappear in the long run?

I now want to try TT3, that definitely improved the sound at the time I used the internal DAC. And, after that, of course the USB input of the MDAC. I would be pleasently surprised when the sound gets even better.

Kind regards,
Eddie

Thought I would give the SBT another go, given all the write ups, but it seems to have lost most of the tracks in the library is it. I know they are there, but it can't find them / has problem connecting.

Do I want to invest the time on the SQ forum to find out what is going on and sort it out? Not really sure, as I found I get better results with the record player and laptops anyway.

Just my findings there.

DS

Thought I would give the SBT another go, given all the write ups, but it seems to have lost most of the tracks in the library is it. I know they are there, but it can't find them / has problem connecting.

Do I want to invest the time on the SQ forum to find out what is going on and sort it out? Not really sure, as I found I get better results with the record player and laptops anyway.

Just my findings there.

DS

two things which may help - have a static ip address for your NAS and your SBT, after this is done, you can go into settings again and choose the library .. from then on you shouldn't have a problem finding the library...

if this doesn't help, it could be how the files are tagged.... I use a programme call 'Bliss' to help me clean my tags.... one word of advice is to tag small sections (ie - copy section to another part of the drive, clean them and copy them back) - no clean up program is perfect, and some may cause more problems then help ... I spent the last 2 months cleaning the tags in my library (little by little every night) and now its probably 90% there... as good as it is going to get...

That's very true.I think it's a wonderful little device but you have to invest a bit of time learning about it do you can optimise for best performance. The forums is a good source of information and there are many publications on the web.

I have 2 SBT's, both with upgraded power supplies. One is connected to an Audio Synthesis DAX Discrete DAC and the other to a Cambridge Audio DacMagic.

The only way I could get the Squeeze Duet to work satisfactory was with a hybrid connection. Which is wireless from the laptop but ehternet cable to the Squeeze unit. Full wireless just had buffering issues.

I don't know how many SBT users are here from outside the UK who are interested in BBC Radio 3. However for the duration of the BBC Proms season, Radio 3 is available in "HD sound" (320k bitrate) outside the uk as well as inside the uk. This is quite reasonable quality and worth people on this board trying...

It is supported on my "BBCiPlayer" plugin and "BBCRadio" applet for the Squeezebox. However it needs some special selection to make sure you get the highest bitrate stream outside the uk: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ugin-(UK-only)&p=711198&viewfull=1#post711198

(note I've not had a successful report of the BBCRadio applet working from outside the UK so anyone who tries feel free to pm me here or on the squeezebox forum with the results)

advertisement

Back