advertisement

how many records do you play in an average week and what percentage of listening is vinyl?

RoA

pfm Member
2 - 3 records/vinyl.

Perhaps around 10% of my listening the rest streaming. - Based on maybe 2.5 hours/day incl commute/at work and evening listening including H/P's.

When at home 90% is vinyl and 2-3 weekdays but 6-9 a day at the weekend.

When going into to work about an hour sometimes two a day streaming. For some reason don't always want to listen going in on the bus, perhaps because on that journey I am considering the day ahead and the bus is usually fairly empty. Going home its also to keep the racket of kids and others out.

I play a dozen or two albums a week, mostly streamed from Qobuz, but sometimes my own rips. Not listened to vinyl for decades.

Typically a couple of albums a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. Mostly vinyl as that’s what I’m buying most of at the moment.

PS FWIW checking Discogs I’ve added 46 items to my collection so far this year, a mixture of new, used, vinyl and CD, though mostly vinyl.

PS FWIW checking Discogs I’ve added 46 items to my collection so far this year, a mixture of new, used, vinyl and CD, though mostly vinyl.

Good idea for a separate thread. My Discogs shows 21 items added in the past month - most well under a fiver. I suspect you're rather more discerning with your purchases!

On average, 5 or more a day

Practically no vinyl despite having an SME 20/2a.

Given this, I've started two parallel operations on the vinyl collection:
- removing records I never listen to because I don't like the music
- recording to 24/48 WAV the records I like which I don't have on the NAS

I’m lucky, work from home and semi retired anyway so a couple of records and a couple of CDs with the Leak and about 6 hours streaming with the Genelecs per day.

Probably about 30 albums a week, I reckon 40% digital hifi, 20% vinyl and 40% headphones at work/in bed.

I tend to have music playing all work day so 8 hours a day in the week. Otherwise I hear the screaming thoughts inside my mind.

Got rid of the record player 20 years ago and the CD player 12 years ago mind.

I listen almost every day, mostly in the evening. On school nights, it's a couple of albums via CD or Tidal. In the weekends, I'd enjoy between two and four LPs per session. So I'd say 50/50 is vinyl.

Last edited:
Recently I am listening to a lot more vinyl, probably about 50% with the rest being CD rips or downloads stored locally. Prior to getting my LP12 upgraded it would have been slightly under 25% listening to vinyl. It does vary from week to week, depending on whether I have bought new music as LPs, CDs or downloads from Bandcamp.

Being retired definitely allows you to fit in more listening to music and in my case I would say well over 60% of my listening is to music released since the millennium.

15+ vinyl albums a week.

If I am sitting down to listen to an album it will be vinyl unless it is an album I don't have on vinyl (or my pressing is not that great).

Listen to digital (Roon - combination of local hard drive and Tidal) for discovery of new music and for when I am not sitting to listen in detail (e.g. when I am reading, cooking, talking etc). Probably 30+ hours a week of digital.

A couple of LPs a week, on average. Mostly I stream from the laptop. It’s convenient & sounds excellent.

I prefer to play the LP of an album if I have it but I buy very little vinyl now & get tired of music I’ve had for years.

advertisement

Back