- NAC 92r
- Quad 303
- Quad 50e
- JVC AX3
- DIY valve hybrid push-pull
- Nad 3020e
- a fair few McKinnie ROIII head amps
- a fair few other head amps

Doesn’t include spare parts - another 2 power amps, and 4 pre-amps.

just writing this confirms I need to sell heaps - I do not have enough time left in my life to use/build all of these…shit :D

Preamp:

SJS Arcadia Model 1.5

Power amp:

SJS Arcadia 2A3
First Watt F5 Clone

Integrated:

Mission Cyrus 1 (plastic case late 80's)
Exposure XV
Red Rose Rosette

Oh, my own list
  • At least 3 no Deltec DPA50S power amps - two used modified by me in use as monoblocks, a third mint in a box in a cupboard..somewhere. The monoblocs my every-day, go-to, not heard anything in >15yrs I want to swap-to yet; utter keepers.
  • An Olive Nait 2 I've had forever. The Industrial design, and fun - if not the last word.
  • A mint very late Quad 306 because I really admire the design, both technical and aesthetic. The fourth and final, and best-resolved factory iteration of Quad current-dumpers. And IMO it's got a good claim on being 'the near-perfect compact 50w amp'.
  • A McCormack Micro Integrated drive - designed, and used now as a headphone amp - yet good for about 8w/ch into 8ohms - well it is now I (long ago ) gave it the PSU it deserves, and wholly fixed the one design defect visible in the distortion plot by removing one part per channel. And upped the bias on top. It's an utter champ though; superb amplifier fro headphones, s/n these days hovering around -110dB re 1v.
  • Erm, several own homebrew designs not based on existing things, and parts to build several such more. Inc. about my own bodyweight in transformers. I need to do something about that...
I've pared what I had - down to this.

If I had to start over - I'd grab a Quad 306, service it (wonderfully simple, and there are no adjustments) add a simple passive pre ( I have some) - and remain very happy indeed.

Too many, but having them around quell any other desire for more acquisition, if that makes sense.

Integrated:
Nait 1
Rega Io
Mission Cyrus 1
Sugden A21
Audio Innovations Alto
NAD 3020
Linn Majik-i
Fisher X100
Trio/Kenwood KA-4002
Pioneer SA-9100
big Sansui

Amps:
Quicksilver Mini Mites
custom made 2A3 SE
custom made 300B SE
Tubecube EL84 SE
JLH 1969
custom Aleph Jr.
Sugden A51
Robertson 4010
B&K ST-140
LM1875 amp

Had loads of Naim, more SET, tubes, and other Class A before, but one amp that has eluded me is a Quad 303. I bought one but it came broke, and another opportunity has not raised itself. Am I missing anything, or should I just let it go?

Quite surprised at how many there are:

Cambridge Audio P500 power
Onkyo A-9030 integrated
Naim NAC112x pre
Croft Vitale pre
Linn Kolektor pre
Linn LK85 power
Linn C2100 power

Just remembered there's a Musical Fidelity X-A1 knocking about somewhere too. Haven't seen it since we moved in 2020.

I really hope they can restore your hearing. Will you still be hearing all from the one side or are they hoping to restore hearing in your bad (worse) ear?

Sadly unable to restore hearing. Just trying to "shrink" the issue due to excessive and ever increasing tinnitus (and some vertigo).

However, I can just about tell a good amp from a not so good one ;)

I'll be mono soon though :oops:

If anyone wants to have a go at the Kenwood 3020 (distortion in one channel and not my ears) they are welcome to it FOC.

Naim NAP 300 (main stereo)
Sansui Eight (office/backup stereo)
Denon 3808ci (TV)
Chord Mojo (headphones)

Leak Point One pre/ TL12 Plus
Leak Varislope Stereo pre
MF The Preamp 2a
Khozmo- based home brew passive pre
PYE PF91 monos (pair)

Do I get a prize for the most obsolete collection?

Sadly unable to restore hearing. Just trying to "shrink" the issue due to excessive and ever increasing tinnitus (and some vertigo).

However, I can just about tell a good amp from a not so good one ;)

I'll be mono soon though :oops:

If anyone wants to have a go at the Kenwood 3020 (distortion in one channel and not my ears) they are welcome to it FOC.
I do feel for you buddy.:(

advertisement

Back