Votes: 77 65.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • No I can't do that

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Sure, one day

Votes: 16 13.6%

• Total voters
I guess I've got a few thousand classical recordings. I've long since stopped spending big money on hi-fi equipment because there's just no need anymore. Excluding the price of the computer, I can easily get where I want to be for well under a grand. Although one day I might stump up for some really good active speakers. I mostly listen via AKG550s and an Audioengine D1 now though. :)

So, back to the point, I spend on music what I might once have blown on multi-box hi-fi gear.

sorry, typo ! 10,000!

:D Still a lot tho.

hes been collecting since he was a kid.

the point is. his system is peanuts, and he gets more enjoyment out of his system than ive ever seen anyone, audiophile or not. the look that washes over his face..

That seems more sensible. 10,000 albums is manageable. 100,000 albums hits CABLE territory (Collection Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy) for anyone over about 30 who has some semblance of a life.

It's good he gets enjoyment out of his music. I still extract a great deal of pleasure out of my music. I am lucky because I can extract slightly more pleasure when the audio system gets out of the way of the music too. I also found that ultimately improves the scope of what I have listened to and enjoyed over the years. Would that soul-boy turned indie kid from 30 years ago have learned to appreciate 1970s Ethiopian agit-pop, Frank Zappa, Bruckner and Eric Dolphy without a good system? Who knows, but I suspect it helped.

I will happily put up anything if there is no alternative, but there is usually an alternative and if I can extract more pleasure out of that alternative, why should it be the subject of so much derision?

That seems more sensible. 10,000 albums is manageable. 100,000 albums hits CABLE territory (Collection Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy) for anyone over about 30 who has some semblance of a life.

It's good he gets enjoyment out of his music. I still extract a great deal of pleasure out of my music. I am lucky because I can extract slightly more pleasure when the audio system gets out of the way of the music too. I also found that ultimately improves the scope of what I have listened to and enjoyed over the years. Would that soul-boy turned indie kid from 30 years ago have learned to appreciate 1970s Ethiopian agit-pop, Frank Zappa, Bruckner and Eric Dolphy without a good system? Who knows, but I suspect it helped.

I will happily put up anything if there is no alternative, but there is usually an alternative and if I can extract more pleasure out of that alternative, why should it be the subject of so much derision?

well, for me it is a matter of what that "extra money" gets. as ive said many times before, my systems have on several occasions hit the over 20-grand and one was nearly 50. now it is just under 10.

i just don't see any expensive hifi as worth it because there are no performance improvements

Teddy, I think it fair to say a £10K system is likely to sound better than a £500 one.

Sure the diminishing returns can set in real quick.

I've spent a lot more than £10k over the years, especially when I was on the Naim merry-go-round.
You could spend £10k on Naim Fraim &/or cables quite easily I guess.
Where I am now with my system, I'd struggle to justify, (even to myself) spending more mega$$$, as what I have ticks 99% of all my boxes. Price new, I'm guessing my system would be between £10 & £15k. But I bought pretty much all of it 2nd hand or I've had it for years.
OK, I can see me tweaking the system with other speaker cables & bits & bobs but nothing major unless I moved house & needed/wanted different speakers due to room size etc.
Matt.

I've spent more than 10K on the hardware (well into the area of diminishing returns), but my investment in LPs and CDs is still far greater. Fortunately, CDs are getting cheaper (box sets) and second hand LPs are one of the greatest sources of cheap music, so it's all good these days: more music to listen to than I can get through.

Music is very important to me no doubt. There is however some audio equipment that turns musical gold into pure platinum. I'm enjoying one right now.

To be able to fully appreciate the works of some great artists is worth a great deal to me. After all, if I were myopic I wouldn't visit the Tate without my glasses.

My two systems cost about the same amount as a new Mazda MX5 ... I used to own a replica Cobra that cost about the same sort of money. The musical enjoyment I get from a good system is at least as great as the pleasure I got from a sports car (we sold it because driving is now little fun with so many different speed limits, Gatsos and the like). By buying second hand the hi-fi depreciates less than a new sports car (unless it is a Morgan!). My music collection cost about the same as my equipment. Interesting poll IMO ... like many people I can afford almost anything I want (within reason - I am not talking about yachts), but it is anything (singular) rather than everything. For example Sue and I spend very modestly on holidays, cars, more than we ought to on wine (but cannot remember the last time we spent more than 15 GBP on a bottle and a fiver is the norm), etc. Music is a very high priority (along with going to the theatre and live broadcasts) ... I think this is maybe what the OP was getting at.

Nic P

well, for me it is a matter of what that "extra money" gets. as ive said many times before, my systems have on several occasions hit the over 20-grand and one was nearly 50. now it is just under 10.

i just don't see any expensive hifi as worth it because there are no performance improvements

Teddy,

If an individual gets more pleasure out of a more expensive hifi, who are you and I to judge?

Assuming there is such a chap...how does he decide the ratios for being a True Music Lover? For example, am I still less of a person/music lover if I have a two and half grand system and three thousand LPs than a guy with a four hundred dollar system but only two thousand and ninety-nine records?

What are the exact cut-off points...just askin' for technical reasons so i'm clear.

regards,

dave

After all, if I were myopic I wouldn't visit the Tate without my glasses.

Yes but would you want to take a magnifying glass? Art and music are more about what happens in the braincells than in the eyes or the ears.

Teddy,

If an individual gets more pleasure out of a more expensive hifi, who are you and I to judge?

Assuming there is such a chap...how does he decide the ratios for being a True Music Lover? For example, am I still less of a person/music lover if I have a two and half grand system and three thousand LPs than a guy with a four hundred dollar system but only two thousand and ninety-nine records?

What are the exact cut-off points...just askin' for technical reasons so i'm clear.

regards,

dave

There aren't any. It depends on what you can afford and whether you think that its worth it. Some people spend £1000+ on a bottle yes just one bottle of wine. I wouldn't but I would like a sip and that may cost £10. Then I might take a quarter glass at £50 and then a full glass...... you get the drift. So I have resisted.

When pfm found me (it was an accident) I had my stuff for over 20 years, LP12/Naim kit. Recently I totted up where I am now and if bought new well I'm too embarrassed to tell you but our two cars cost less. But for me it is worth every penny. If anyone had asked me all those years ago if I'd spend so much on HiFi kit I'd be inclined to think that they were either mad or had taken something illegal.

Cheers,

DV

PS I remained true to pfm and the aim 'to get the best sounding kit for the least possible outlay' so in the end I only paid a fraction of what it is really worth.

DV,

Over a decade ago my old boss purchased my dream system (probably 50-60K US at the time) just to play his meager (by my standards at the time) couple of thousand 70's disco and MOR records after hearing some lesser systems I assembled in my "office" at the shop.

I spent several weekends at his place tweaking the rig to get the best out of it and once I saw the pleasure it brought him I completely changed my TeddyWay of thinking about who deserves what or is or isn't a True Music Lover.

My point is it's not our place to judge others nor should anyone feel guilty for spending money on something that clearly brings them pleasure as long as it doesn't harm anyone or deprive family members. I see alot of that in these forums from people who apparently feel guilty when they don't need to. (and apologies to Teddy if I've misread his intentions on this thread)

regards,

dave

As an aside, it does annoy me when people criticise how much you do or don't spend on HiFi. That's OK for civilians, but not for us enthusiasts. You may not agree with peoples spending priorities, but really it's nobody elses business

I don't think anyone is criticising. The point that some of us are making is that you can be a very serious music lover without feeling the need or desire to spend lots of $ on your hifi.

Indeed some spend very little on their hifi but music is central to their lives or livelihood.

Yes but would you want to take a magnifying glass? Art and music are more about what happens in the braincells than in the eyes or the ears.

I would want to see the work with the same level of clarity as the artist enjoyed when he was painting it. Anything less and I risk seeing something he didn't intend and misinterpreting the work surely?

The point that some of us are making is that you can be a very serious music lover without feeling the need or desire to spend lots of $ on your hifi.

I like this.

The figure spent on music is not the whole picture, when asking "how important is your music". There is no "one fit for all"

Music is very important to me, but I will probably never be in a position to merit spending £10k on my Hi Fi system/Records/Cds.

And I dont feel that this is a problem for me. I strike a life balance that suits me and my wallet, and I am comfortable with it. Music is one part of my life that needs money, together with many other things that I want/need.

When I get to my death bed, I am going to be happier in the knowledge that I had a balanced life, and made the correct choices. (so far !! )

I have done over the years but spent one heck of a lot more on motorcycles!!!! Guess times change and the system is much more stable now, I'm in "only when it breaks mode"!!!

I've spent that and more.

I enjoy my system and money in the bank does nowt for me - not that I haven't got plenty.

Thing is by nature I'm a tight arse and expect VFM so there are no £500 mains leads or interconnect cables in my system.

Similarly if I'm shown something cheaper and better than what I currently use I'll buy it! This has seen my CDP investment drop from about £6k down to under 1K and good riddance to that unreliable expensive crap I say, though it was state of the art when it was new.

Just spent $50 on JRriver - money well spent I think.

Shan't be spending £000's on my LP12 to bring it closer to the Orbse/Graham I bought for £1600 which itself can't beat £1000 worth of digital kit, but can be fully captured by it.

Better amps/speakers maybe - hackernap/cap boards ordered but again potentially self financing upgrades.

The HC's & SC's could also be under threat I think, but the "important" music will benefit from hardware upgrades. The wallet will benefit if the new stuff costs less than the outgoing over-hyped rip off products it replaces.

advertisement

Back