Votes: 77 65.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • No I can't do that

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Sure, one day

Votes: 16 13.6%

• Total voters
At the age of 40 and over 25 years, I'm guessing I have done or am coming close to £10k.

No kids at present and none in prospect, guess I might still spend a bit more...

I'm not really sure how much I've spent on hifi over the years; but to replace it new (having just had to tot it up for insurance purposes) would cost around £15k (eek!). The music collection would be around twice that though.

So, in short, yes, music is really important to me.

Spent that & more on actual music, but no where near that on kit to listen to it with.

Richard

I dropped 10 grand on my Nordost power cable. I'm currently saving for the rest of the system.

Joe

In the meantime use it to power your kettle. I use my Nordost lead that way and my kettle boils twice as fast and is silent whilst doing so.

Makes the tea taste better too especially in combination with Peter Belt's Sucrose Elixir cubes (a bargain at £425 for 10).

Jonathan

My (well, actually our) financial situation would not allow spending anywhere near 10K on audio equipment. I am not sure I would feel comfortable doing it, even if I could, but anyway. My current system represents a s/h value of considerably less than 1K and while I am aware that there is better performance out there to be found, it has been my experience that you can have a very enjoyable system in this price bracket (or even below).

Thom

I'm with Thom PC there, kids and life choices that don't involve big bucks jobs mean I couldn't justify spending that much on equipment. However I'm getting a great deal of satisfaction buying second hand and trying kit before either keeping it or selling it on. I guess if I totted up what the kit originally cost when new (especially if adjusted for inflation) the costs would be far greater than what I'm paying but I'm not sure even then it'd be remotely near 10 grand.

To be honest some of my fave purchases are my cheapest (as in sound for pound), picked up a Denon TU260L from a charity shop for a fiver and the other day got a 'free' Creek 3140 thrown in with an amp I bought for 60 squids. Got some 'broken' Royd Sevens for a tenner and after I refoamed and cleaned them up they were singing like larks. This also has the added benefit of keeping my wife quiet too, after all she can't complain about my kit if it only cost a few quid and once fixed can be sold on for more ... not that I'll be selling the items I mention above but don't tell her ;)

I'm aware that if I went shopping with 10 grand in my pocket I'd be able to pick up a pretty nifty and probably better sounding system but hey where's the fun in that and where's the thrill of the chase - each to their own! :D

Ten grand on hifi? I suspect I would spend all my time listening to the hifi, not the music. Not that I wouldn't mind finding out for sure one day.

Assuming the title of the thread was meant to be; 'How important to your enjoyment of music is how much you spend on your hi-fi?' Nowadays SH and with the help of PFM I reckon about £500 would do it for me. (to my shame I once spent at least £15000 on a vinyl only system)

My second system: Spotify, FiiO, Exposure X and Epos ES 14s takes some beating! If that was to usher me to my grave I would be more than happy.

We may be confusing amount spent with commitment to music. I spent more on my speakers than I spent on my car, because I listen to music for five hours a day, and drive my car for less than an hour a day. I spend at least ten days a year of my holidays at music festivals of one sort another, and as many live performances as I can... I buy on average one cd or lp a week, and can spend a hundred pounds or more in a week on downloads if the mood takes me. We do without other things... So, music underpins our existence more than just about any other aspect of our lives.
Also like:
Cars
Wine
Beer
Photography
Travel

Rarely watch TV

I spent more on my speakers than I spent on my car, because I listen to music for five hours a day, and drive my car for less than an hour a day. I spend at least ten days a year of my holidays at music festivals of one sort another, and as many live performances as I can... I buy on average one cd or lp a week, and can spend a hundred pounds or more in a week on downloads if the mood takes me. We do without other things... So, music underpins our existence more than just about any other aspect of our lives.

I like the sound of your life...

My (well, actually our) financial situation would not allow spending anywhere near 10K on audio equipment. I am not sure I would feel comfortable doing it, even if I could, but anyway. My current system represents a s/h value of considerably less than 1K and while I am aware that there is better performance out there to be found, it has been my experience that you can have a very enjoyable system in this price bracket (or even below).

Thom

yeah...my friend who is a walking encyclopedia of indie, punk and americana has a piecemeal system that costs what...300 bucks or so? he listens to music 24/8

i asked him if hed ever spend more on the stereo rig and he looked at me like i had a dick growing out of my forehead....and said.

"why" "ive got all i need" he has 100,000 or more albums..

Exactly.

There are people I know for whom music is extremely important e.g. musicians and they have very humble hifi's. And then there are those who are clearly into the gear and sound and have pitiful music taste (typically stuff recommended by audio mags and other audiophiles).

Don't confuse the two 'hobbies' - one doesn't necessarily imply the other although for some, they are related!

I spend between 1-2 hours per day listening to my music.... really nice to relax..... I'd rather spend money on music than cars.... I'd rather buy a more 'utilitarian' car and spend the extra cash in music & hifi gear......

my utilitarian car here in Singapore is about 90k pounds.... I wish I could spend that much in music.... I think my 'investment' so far is about 20-30% of that...

As others have said, I have already spent way north of £10000. I would'nt spend that on one item of course. Actually there is no of course about it, many do.
I listen to music every day, so it's worth it to me.
As an aside, it does annoy me when people criticise how much you do or don't spend on HiFi. That's OK for civilians, but not for us enthusiasts. You may not agree with peoples spending priorities, but really it's nobody elses business

Hard to say. Probably, but not all at once. I hate to think what I've spent on music over the years though, a hell of a lot more than 10K that's for sure. At new prices, that's only 500 CDs and 500 LPs... or 20 years of Spotify Premium.

yeah...my friend who is a walking encyclopedia of indie, punk and americana has a piecemeal system that costs what...300 bucks or so? he listens to music 24/8

i asked him if hed ever spend more on the stereo rig and he looked at me like i had a dick growing out of my forehead....and said.

"why" "ive got all i need" he has 100,000 or more albums..

That's way out of band. Normal humans would look upon a musical collection like that as an obsession and a waste of a life, just as they look at someone who spends a fortune obsessing over audio.

The art to a good musical life is a life in balance. Rubbing yourself up against a house full or records is no more or less in balance than someone who spends time humping the legs of their speaker stands.

Owning a few thousand albums and a kick-ass system is great. Going overboard on one side or the other is a bit weird.

One hundred thousand records?

< insert picture of a maniacal Dr. Evil >

If you played 24 records a day, it would take more than 11 years to listen to that collection once, assuming that food, bathroom and sleep breaks weren't necessary.

Joe

sorry, typo ! 10,000!

:D Still a lot tho.

hes been collecting since he was a kid.

the point is. his system is peanuts, and he gets more enjoyment out of his system than ive ever seen anyone, audiophile or not. the look that washes over his face..

The are many more folk who love music, some of whom are interested in the sound it makes and others in both. But not being obsessed with replay quality is no barrier to musical appreciation - it's very much a minority interest.

A huge LP/CD collection is no more an indication of musical appreciation than a more modest one, especially now there is easy access to quality on-line services.

advertisement

Back