advertisement

How do I wire two subs up to Bricks crossover?

That is my experience too and when you do crank them up it goes all shouty with a bright treble. I gave up after eight years (and thousands of pounds) trying to get them to sound any good and moved to Neat Isobariks.

Yes, I think bricks sound best at a moderate volume, with sub support. Well, I will advice on the latter later in the week when leads come and it is all set up.

all depends on how they are driven.

its been about twenty years since I had passive bariks but they certainly dont have lots of bass.

aktiv with bingo and you can end up with too much.

speaker position and room integration make a huge contribution also.

I doubt that acceptable results are likely with a sub since they are likely to inter react with the b139's causing suck outs and resonances.

None who knows isobariks ever said they went very loud or had lots of bass.

many of your concerns would disappear with aktiv use but it aint cheap.

good luck!

It was the room in my case. A suspended oak floor with a two foot void beneath. Oddly the current 'briks' are fine and if anything are bigger and some would say uglier (if such a thing can be imagined). They are free space designs which I think clinched it.

David, yes, I agree about suck outs etc, I'll listen for that while setting them up. I'm going for this option as it is by far cheaper than going aktiv.

Well, I have now set up two REL Strata 3 subwoofers to my Linn Isobarik/Naim system and the results are thus:

First, it was fairly straight-forward to set them up, easier than people have suggested. Even people at REL say it can be fiddly and you can spend ages fine-tuning two subs in a system to get it spot on. It took me all of thirty minutes to get them into the right ball-park, then another thirty minutes of fine-tuning, with the help of a friend to switch and turn dials slightly while I listened, and vice-versa.

Now, at low to moderate volumes, (on Naim 72 about 9:30 to 10:30 clock position on volume dial) I have a deeper/warmer bass with a lot more 'space' and 'air' about it. The bass now has an all-new three-dymentionality to it - that was not there before. People say bass is not directional and you can't hear where it is coming from, but this is only the very lowest of frequencies, the rest you can 'place' quite easily. For me, the sound has so much more air to it now.

When I turn the volume up a little higher (about 11 o'clock) the bass has more slam and weight at the bottom. Then, as you go up with the volume, the bass from the subs and the bass from the Bricks remains perfectly balanced.

The subs bass does not overpower, or intrude at all, it simply compliments and lifts the bottom out a little, where the bricks alone do not.

Also, for classical music (Elgar's cello concerto played by Jackie), you can really 'feel' the vibration coming from that old wooden cello now, it has 'life', whereas before it sounded a little flat.

Playing Juliann Bream solo classical guitar also has differences. Yes, there are even bass notes in solo classical guitar, more space and width to the sound with a lot more 'air'. I can't quite explain this one, because if I lightly touch the bass driver in the subs while classical guitar solo is playing (even quite loud) the bass unit is not moving at all, I can only detect the slightest electrical current coming though it, yet, there is now more detail coming through and my system is a little more revealing than before.

So, my two REL Strata 3 subwoofers cost me £225 each, off eBay. I had two 3meter leads made up to come out of the Naim hi-cap. The results, Thank You very much, I'm thrilled,

Oh, I also have two nice large wooden objects to put two big plants on now ;)

No chance of that Chris. I don't usually have it that loud. But, these Strata 3 subs are seriously over-engineered. They are heavy and really solid. Even with the volume cranked up, there is minimal vibration on top. The plants will think they are in the wild and a tractor is driving past ;)

Just out of interest, why do you want to add a REL sub to a pair of isobariks?

In my experience it's very much dependent on the room.

When I bought a used pair (many years ago) the guy I bought them off used them in a small room and there was far too much bass. When I got them home my first impression was "where's the bass gone?" The difference was huge, even using the same amps - NAP 250.

I reckon the OP has had a similar experience.

Well, I have now set up two REL Strata 3 subwoofers to my Linn Isobarik/Naim system and the results are thus:

First, it was fairly straight-forward to set them up, easier than people have suggested. Even people at REL say it can be fiddly and you can spend ages fine-tuning two subs in a system to get it spot on. It took me all of thirty minutes to get them into the right ball-park, then another thirty minutes of fine-tuning, with the help of a friend to switch and turn dials slightly while I listened, and vice-versa.

Now, at low to moderate volumes, (on Naim 72 about 9:30 to 10:30 clock position on volume dial) I have a deeper/warmer bass with a lot more 'space' and 'air' about it. The bass now has an all-new three-dymentionality to it - that was not there before. People say bass is not directional and you can't hear where it is coming from, but this is only the very lowest of frequencies, the rest you can 'place' quite easily. For me, the sound has so much more air to it now.

When I turn the volume up a little higher (about 11 o'clock) the bass has more slam and weight at the bottom. Then, as you go up with the volume, the bass from the subs and the bass from the Bricks remains perfectly balanced.

The subs bass does not overpower, or intrude at all, it simply compliments and lifts the bottom out a little, where the bricks alone do not.

Also, for classical music (Elgar's cello concerto played by Jackie), you can really 'feel' the vibration coming from that old wooden cello now, it has 'life', whereas before it sounded a little flat.

Playing Juliann Bream solo classical guitar also has differences. Yes, there are even bass notes in solo classical guitar, more space and width to the sound with a lot more 'air'. I can't quite explain this one, because if I lightly touch the bass driver in the subs while classical guitar solo is playing (even quite loud) the bass unit is not moving at all, I can only detect the slightest electrical current coming though it, yet, there is now more detail coming through and my system is a little more revealing than before.

So, my two REL Strata 3 subwoofers cost me £225 each, off eBay. I had two 3meter leads made up to come out of the Naim hi-cap. The results, Thank You very much, I'm thrilled,

Oh, I also have two nice large wooden objects to put two big plants on now ;)

I think I'll be keeping my eye on the bay ;) will let you know...

advertisement

Back