advertisement

How do I wire two subs up to Bricks crossover?

Writer

pfm Member
I have just bought two used REL Strata 3 subwoofers, which I now want to connect up to my Linn/Naim system.

I have, Naim olive 250, 72, hi-cap. Linn Isobariks (very late ones in black) that have crossover in the stand i.e. on back of bricks there are six banana sockets. On the crossover that is in the stand, there are the usual three leads coming out for bass, mid, treble, each with two banana sockets on, which plug into my bricks. Also on the crossover, I have the two banana sockets where I plug my speaker cable in, from the naim amp.

Now, I understand (from REL) that the best way is to use High-Level input into the subs, coming from the speaker output on amp, or from the speaker end. Now, as Naim has this 10ohm issue hence needing 3 metres of speaker cable per side, I have decided to come high-level from the speaker end, to the subs. But, if I buy two standard Neutrik Speakon High Level Leads with the Neutric socket on one end, and the yellow, black, red wires on other end.

There are two pictures here. Ignore arrows drawn on cross-over, I grabbed this image off web, saved me pulling mine out of base to photograph it:

First link is crossover showing banana sockets. I use only one set to plug my speaker cable into:

http://www.nigelcooperauthor.com/misc/bricks-crossover.jpg

This next pic is back of bricks showing speaker cable from crossover going into bricks:

http://www.nigelcooperauthor.com/misc/bricks-back.jpg

As you can see, there is no binding post on crossover where I can wrap the subwoofer three wires from the Neutrik cable, and my banana plugs are soldered onto speaker cable (naca5) and is impossible to get Neutric wires into them.

Any suggestions?

Oh, finally, I know I could come out of my Naim hi-cap Low-Level, but the cable company want £80 per cable to make them up with the Naim 4-pin din on one end and two phonos on the other. That is the only reason I'm not doing it that way. Also, if I did it this way, I need a 4 metre lead for one, and a 3 metre for the other. Going high-level from speaker end means I need just one 1 meter and one 2 meter.

Thanks for advice guys. I await your replies before getting cables put together.

dont know how you would wire it up but i would advise against it. there is no way on earth that the bass from a properly positioned pair of bricks needs enhancing, IMHO it will only muddy the bass up. the isobarik principle has a very low order roll off at the bottom end, flog the rel's and get another 250. or go active with lk280's.

Rgds
Stuart

Stuart, thanks mate, but I really don't want to divert off topic. I need to know about wiring in the REL's. I have my reasons, which I really don't want to go into. I know forum topics can sadly drift onto a different topic altogether, but please guys, let's stick with my original post please.

On the R/H side of the PCB,
do those holes to the right of the (I think are) sockets look like you can feed cable from under the pcb and solder to the side we can see?
I may be barking up the wrong tree here but I hope you get my drift..

When I had a Stata 3 I wired it from the amplifier but if you do it from the speakers you will get the same signal the speakers are getting. Not sure if that is good or bad. I can't remember the colours on the REL Hi Level cable but Just connect the two together that would have normally go to the + on each channel. As long as you do the same on both subs then you can get the phase right from the setting on the sub.

Although Cable company want £80 each for 4-pin din to 2 phono. Just noticed flashback sales want less than half that, so, to make things easy, I think I'll just come out of the hi-cap with two cables from flashback.

http://www.flashbacksales.co.uk/acatalog/naim-4pin-din-phono-rca-cable.html

Though, not really sure I need to go for their 4 Pin Ring Locking DIN Plug - 2 Phono/RCA Plugs Subwoofer Performance Cable at £42.99 for 3-metres, when their 4 Pin Ring Locking DIN Plug - 2 Phono/RCA Plugs EHG Cable cost £23.99. It's only a bass signal, as long as the cable is of moderate quality, I'm sure it will do the job.

@Writer

I have active SL2s reinforced gently with an nSub. I would recommend that you take a Din to RCA from the space audio outputs on your HiCap, I feed my nSub from a spare output socket on my SuperCap using a Chord company cable, as recommended to me by Naim themselves. There was some talk of the cabled being "slugged" or some such with a resistor. TBH, my eyes glazed over as that kind of talk means nothing to me. A friendly Naim dealer is the person to aask, or if you are deeply walleted, you could buy a purpose designed cable from Naim. Search the Naim forum, there is plenty of discussion on this topic....

Thanks htm. Yes, I've decided to have my two REL subs coming out of the two spare 4-pin din sockets on my Hi-Cap. A nice knowledgable chap at Naim said doing it this way, there is no need to worry about 10ohm resistance built in, as would be needed if I was doing high-level from the speaker output on amp.

But, cord company too much money, for what you get it is a rip-off - imo. Sub cable is sub cable. Only carries a bass signal, no big deal. I figured the flashbacksales cable are more than adequate. Some cable companies might as well be selling 'rope' as in money for old ... I don't buy it, I know how much cable cost to make, be it cheap or expensive, it is all cheap to put together - just hi-fi snob value makes up the rest.

I would connect the sub to the loudspeaker cable as it will sound better.
You could solder some bell wire to the wire links on the isobarik xovers quite easily and go straight to the high level input on the sub, that would be perfectly adequate .

If you have the option to go with the low level signal route I would use that. I evaporated 2 high power fuses on a PS audio power amp this week wiring in the high level of a rel amp section with a pair of electrostatics. I dont remember if the 250 has output fuses but it could be an expensive mistake if it doesn't.

rgds
stuart

Thanks guys. Yes, stuwils, I think you and Naim are right. I'll go for the lo-level out of the hi-cap.

Thanks htm. Yes, I've decided to have my two REL subs coming out of the two spare 4-pin din sockets on my Hi-Cap. A nice knowledgable chap at Naim said doing it this way, there is no need to worry about 10ohm resistance built in, as would be needed if I was doing high-level from the speaker output on amp.

But, cord company too much money, for what you get it is a rip-off - imo. Sub cable is sub cable. Only carries a bass signal, no big deal. I figured the flashbacksales cable are more than adequate. Some cable companies might as well be selling 'rope' as in money for old ... I don't buy it, I know how much cable cost to make, be it cheap or expensive, it is all cheap to put together - just hi-fi snob value makes up the rest.

Fair comment on the Chord Co cable. It came with my nSub for free when I baulked at the price of the Naim cable (and the sub come to think of it) that the dealer wanted to charge. It is fair to say that I am unconvinced at the idea of spending £200 quid on a Din to RCA lead to drive a subwoofer, but this is not a cables thread (yet). There are some good, cheap and reliable cable suppliers (Flashback, Gotham etc) who could knock out something bespoke in a length to suit you for not a lot of cash.....

Hi Nigel,
I think it might be wise to have BOTH low level leads the same length?, as you would for other interconnects and speaker leads.
HTH, speak to you soon,

Chris N

Quite simple, David. Most people who say the Bricks have got more bass than you can shake a stick at, have never heard them. And those who have, are probably talking about when the volume is cranked up. With Bricks, you need to thump some power to them, before the bass units actually move to any degree.

Now, as I typically listen at low to moderate volume, the Bricks, for me, are all mid range and treble. It is only when I put on an old Grace Jones (Dumbar/Shakespear) LP and crank it up, that the walls shake.

But, at low to moderate levels, I need some low end slam and kick, hence my putting a couple of REL Starta 3 subs into the system.

Also, I listen to a lot of classical stuff, and I want to 'feel' the soul of the cellos in the string section. Again, at low to moderate levels, the cellos simply produce a note, but I can't feel that century old wood vibrating.

I think I'm in the minority when I say Bricks don't produce as much bass as people give them credit for.

Finally, I do like bass instruments and when I listen to music, unlike most people, who probably listen to the guitar riff, vocalist etc, I'm listening to the bass line.

advertisement

Back