advertisement

How critical is a mains cable to ensuring system performance?

The injection of RFI by powerleads, and distortion in the time domain for interconnects is not proven. However they are plausible theories that have not been disproven. They are sufficiently plausible to indicate that those who thunder that there is no way cables can make a difference are pretty closed minded.

Nic P

not according to loads of amp manufacturers....

not according to loads of amp manufacturers....

I am afraid I don't understand your comment, could you possibly expand it. If you are talking about RFI then I have only talked to one amp manufacturer about it (Tom Evans) and he said it was an important issue in preamp design and also phonostage design.

Nic P

how did you come to that conclusion?

that is not what i got from the article....curiously i got that sighted listening leads to bias and listeners with preconceptions obliterating the results.... whereas the measured scientific result.....not to mention the cost of the item's in the test!!!

Sorry, I get S-O-S infrequently now. I mixed this test up with the one where they used a bunch of top studio engineers and producers. In that one, they didn't necessarily pick out their own choice of DUT, but their pecking orders were internally consistent.

If I asked around the office for people to listen to the sound files, I'd get a sales guy, a couple of printers and a decorator, and his small dog. They may be good listeners...

The injection of RFI by powerleads, and distortion in the time domain for interconnects is not proven. However they are plausible theories that have not been disproven. They are sufficiently plausible to indicate that those who thunder that there is no way cables can make a difference are pretty closed minded.

Nic P

I assume you mean total mains injected RFI rather than just RFI that is picked up by the actual power lead itself?

Rob was correcting his grammar, "they are" with the correct "they have", not making a statement about the veracity of the content of the post.

Yes I agree with NicP, power cables can make a difference to the amount of RFI passed onto a component. But only if they have filters built into them which nearly none of them have, and I don't mean Sawyers discs or any of that other bull5hit, I mean big great chokes and frigging capacitors.

....and his small dog. They may be good listeners...

I'd buy that....

250px-His_Master's_Voice.jpg

... as many did!

PS: Those old clockwork gramophones had no problem with cables

They are sufficiently plausible to indicate that those who thunder that there is no way cables can make a difference are pretty closed minded.
Can you support that?

The problems I have with your mains cable assertion are things like,

1. every piece of equipment, every mains supply and every environment is different.
2. changing the mains cable doesn't change the basic performance of the device. Why doesn't the RFI manifest as noise, as it does with, say, a phono stage?

I don't know what 'time domain distortion' is, if it's not just distortion.

Anyway I don't see plausible, I await your enlargement.

Paul

So the RFI that enters the last 1.5m or so of cable is more significant than the RFI that enters all the cable that connects your wall sockets to the power station?

A top RF engineer tells me yes. Whether this because the wire to the socket is reasonably well shielded, or the environment from socket to equipment is subject to significant RFI, or whether the plug/socket interfaces generate RFI, or something else, I don't know.

Nic P

D. He's a clueless fantasist who has never measured the RFI at a wall socket and at the end of a 1.5m cable.

Just measuring RFI at the mains cable is pretty pointless unless you have an obvious problem.
You need to be measuring the effects of any RFI on the output of whatever is being driven by the cable. You don't listen to the mains cable, you listen to the output of the pre, dac, amp or whatever is connected.

Yeah. Big problem going ahead for hi-fi magazines is traditional hi-fi enthusiasts think of headphones the way most headphone users view traditional hi-fi. So, putting too many headphones into a hi-fi magazine is toxic to the existing reader base, but putting too few headphones into a hi-fi magazine puts you at odds with what is happening out there.

Why not dedicate a couple of pages each month to a little section featuring a couple of reviews or features on headphones/headphone amps/DACs/mobile device? It must be pretty easy to get a couple of interesting bits of headphone related kit each month at different cost levels.

Add more pages and cover more kit.
Bung another £1 on the cover price. Nobody will complain too much.

You're joking, aren't you? The traditional magazine market is haemorrhaging badly as a result of the internet. I haven't bought a hifi mag for years, a mate gave me one a year or two ago, but it contained so little material of interest I junked it. They are already £4+, put it the wrong side of a fiver and it's staying on the shelf.

advertisement

Back